MGM-WHEN THE LION ROARS is coming on DVD!

News and Upcoming Releases
markfp

MGM-WHEN THE LION ROARS is coming on DVD!

Post by markfp »

Yes, it's true, MGM-WHEN THE LION ROARS is finally being released as a three disc set on January 20, 2009. The list price is $29.95, but I'm sure the usual discount sources will have deals. For those who are not into buying, TCM will be showing it on January 12-13-14 at 5:45pm.

Joy of Joys! I think I will have a mid-winter bonfire with my horrible VHS copy on January 21. Feel free to bring the marshmellows. :D :D :D
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

That's very cool. I've been wanting to check that out for a while now.

Hopefully it's worth the wait.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Myrna,

It is so worth the wait, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. Perhaps the best docu made on the history of a movie studio.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

TalkieTime

Re: MGM-WHEN THE LION ROARS is coming on DVD!

Post by TalkieTime »

markfp wrote:Yes, it's true, MGM-WHEN THE LION ROARS is finally being released as a three disc set on January 20, 2009. The list price is $29.95, but I'm sure the usual discount sources will have deals. For those who are not into buying, TCM will be showing it on January 12-13-14 at 5:45pm.

Joy of Joys! I think I will have a mid-winter bonfire with my horrible VHS copy on January 21. Feel free to bring the marshmellows. :D :D :D
My original videotape, from a TNT showing on 3/29/1992, was 7:37 long (with commercials). I dubbed that videotape to a single DVD in March 2007.

I'll be looking forward to the TCM showing.
"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance." --Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
markfp

Post by markfp »

TalkieTime, That sounds about right. I recorded it from TCM and it totaled just a few minutes under six hours. I can't wait for the DVD, the quality should be amazing.

I didn't hear anything about extras in the set, but hopefully they'll come up with a few goodies. This would be a perfect set to include that 25 minute 1920's tour of the M-G-M studios TCM shows now and then.
feaito

Post by feaito »

My father bought the official set of 3 VHS as present for me, while we were visiting San Francisco in 1996. I remember the thrill & happiness of getting them, because they were pretty expensive for me at that time.

I have seen the documentary only twice and it's excellent. I'd love to have it on DVD, especially if it has some extras!!