"Directed by John Ford" - Peter Bogdanovich

News and Upcoming Releases
JackFavell

Re: "Directed by John Ford" - Peter Bogdanovich

Post by JackFavell »

Not bad at all? I say he looks ....... mmmmmmmm. I can't wait to get my copy! It should be here today.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Not bad at all? I say he looks ....... mmmmmmmm. I can't wait to get my copy! It should be here today.

Jackie, I watched it last night and it's just so wonderful. The picture quality is the best I've
ever seen---probably as good as when audiences first saw it, and the commentary makes it
feel like a "family affair", Peter B. being an ex-officio member of the "stock company" :wink: .

Peter is actually with Harry, jr. (who also is with his wife Marilyn but she doesn't speak on the commentary)
and I guess it had been a while since Harry watched the movie because he kept exclaiming over it, ha!
Too cute, and then the old man is "there" as well, with Peter incorporating, VERY seamlessly, commentary
from a 1966 interview. You really have to listen to it and tell me your impressions (I am holding a good
thought that yours arrives today).

Sorry to bore all you non-Ford or non-western fans, but this movie is really something special
and I urge everyone to give it a chance. Like Peter B. says, it is truly beautiful in its simplicity.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree with MissG. This movie was a revelation to me, it is such a perfect western. As a film outside of its genre, not just as a western, it is loads of fun. I hope that everyone gets a chance to see this film. It's first of all, beautiful. The landscape is gorgeous and that in itself is a reason to see the film. The warm, relaxed attitude of Ford and his company translates perfectly to the audience when watching it. Joanna Dru gives her very best performance, and Ward Bond, Ben Johnson, and Harry Carey, Jr. are simply wonderful. They are all at the top of their game here. It's a lovely film, with a simple story told elegantly.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Anyone requiring further convincing about getting the Wagon Master dvd can take a look
at DVDBeaver's review, complete with gorgeous screencaps, here:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... master.htm
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ok you convinced me.

It does have one of my favorite lines. "Hell ain't cussing it's geography." (Well, that is close.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Well, I just had to see Wagon Master, it had been released here as part of a box set a while ago. I really quite liked this, I think a television show was made off the back of this (am I right?) it has plenty of promise for a series. It isn't a film I'd heard of until I heard it mentioned here and I'm glad you did.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Well, I just had to see Wagon Master, it had been released here as part of a box set a while ago. I really quite liked this, I think a television show was made off the back of this (am I right?) it has plenty of promise for a series. It isn't a film I'd heard of until I heard it mentioned here and I'm glad you did.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, CCFan! I have that box set that you're referring to. I got it because I was unsure
that WM would ever get a US release.

Yes, the series "Wagon Train" was based on this film, with Ward Bond in the lead (until his death).
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, CCFan, I am so glad you got to see it. I really love Wagon Master so much! It's a beautiful western.