Icons of Screwball Comedy - Vol. I & II

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Icons of Screwball Comedy - Vol. I & II

Post by MissGoddess »

This is pretty exciting:

http://www.classicflix.com/icons-screwb ... 00c3b2b4fe

Vol I will contain:

If You Could Only Cook (1935), Too Many Husbands (1940), My Sister Eileen (1942), She Wouldn't Say Yes (1945)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vol II will include:

Theodora Goes Wild (1936), Together Again (1944), The Doctor Takes a Wife (1940), A Night to Remember (1943)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Re: Icons of Screwball Comedy - Vol. I & II

Post by jdb1 »

This sounds so good, Miss G. I''m especially interested in Too Many Husbands, which I saw a few months ago. Three of my not-so-favorite stars: Jean Arthur, Melvyn Douglas and Fred MacMurray (I don't hate any of them, I just don't love them). But what a revelation: it's so funny, so racy, and so well-performed. A real gem.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Good news. "Too Many Husbands" is a film we should have known about years ago but I only saw for the first time a year or so ago. I like Jean a lot so this with "If You Could Only Cook" (which is good but not as good as TMH) makes a nice couple of films. Now if you haven't seen "Theodora Goes Wild" there is a treat. It is racy in a whole different fashion. This film was a wonderful surprise to me when I first saw it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Those are great news April!!

"If You Could Only Cook" and "Too Many Husbands" are films I have been looking for, for quite a long time!

Thanks for posting this :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This is great. I'm really looking forward to seeing Charles Boyer in a comedy with Irene Dunne in Together Again (1944) which is a new one on me. I don't think I've ever seen it.

I don't know if the broadcast of these films is related to the issuance of the dvds but
A Night to Remember (1942) is on TCM on Jul 24, at 4:30PM ET with Brian Aherne and Loretta Young in a comic murder mystery. Sounds like fun.
Too Many Husbands (1940) is on Aug 31 at 1:00AM ET and If You Could Only Cook (1935) is on Aug 30, at 11:45PM ET.

I guess the folks at Sony who control the rights to Columbia are realizing that they may make a few dollars from the films in their archives. Now how about unearthing all those Paramount beauties?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've recently seen "The Doctor Takes A Wife" and just finished with "A Night To Remember." Both fun. If you're a Loretta fan than this is a good disc to have.

"A Night To Remember" showcases a side of Brian Aherne I don't remember. Light comedy fits him well. It's a bit of an involved plot but everyone does well and the picture certainly picks up steam as it heads into the last half hour.

Both worth a look.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

These Sets are great addition to my collection. Still have to watch a couple of the films included...
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Volume 1 is currently $11.99 at Amazon. Vol. 2 is a few bucks more.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
feaito

Post by feaito »

They are much cheaper now...it's incredible how the prices of some DVDs have gone down....When I bought them (in 2009?)they were more expensive...