The Joyless Street on DVD in July

News and Upcoming Releases
Ann Harding

The Joyless Street on DVD in July

Post by Ann Harding »

The German FilmMuseum is releasing the most complete version (148 min) of Pabst's Die freudlose Gasse (The Joyless Street, 1925) in July. This is Greta Garbo's only German feature. It's a two DVDs set packed with informations on Pabst. The film and supplements are all subtitled in English and the DVDs are Region 0 (visible everywhere).
More info Here.
feaito

Re: The Joyless Street on DVD in July

Post by feaito »

Thank you for the big news Christine. I have never seen this film. Marlene Dietrich has a bit part in it too; Hasn't she?
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

feaito wrote:Marlene Dietrich has a bit part in it too; Hasn't she?
Well, actually, no, it's a myth. Marlene never was an extra on this particular film. For many years, there was a rumor that she was one of the extras queuing in front of a butcher shop. But, it was false. She was confused with Asta Nielsen who plays one of the leads. :wink: This film is very bleak in its view of a decomposing society, like all Pabst. But, it's worth catching because of Garbo and Nielsen.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This is great news, it is a great film. To see it with English subtitles will be a wonder.

Fernando, I have looked at the faces of all those women queueing at the butchers shop and Marlene definetly wasn't there. That was a rumour I have loved to have been true.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

It's on our purchase-queue. Thanks for this tip!
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Anyone know the cheapest place to purchase the filmmuseum DVDs? I'm a poor Canadian boy who wishes to avoid unseemly shipping rates.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields