Gone with the Wind 70th Anniversary Edition

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Re: Gone with the Wind 70th Anniversary Edition

Post by MissGoddess »

Well unpacked this new jewel of my collection a few mintues ago (it cureently holds the coveted place on top of my Ford-at-Fox box set). I must say I wasn't expecting it to be this nice. They really did a good job, very tasteful and something you would want to keep. I think it makes a splendid gift. The box alone is literally a red velvet jewel box. The book is hardbound, which I didn't expect (or failed to notice in the promos) and I love the inclusion of post-card size renderings of the watercolors made of the set design, as well as reproductions of several pieces of correspondence on the production. The disc menus are elegant (I'm not sure, they may be the same as the 2004 version) and the movie itself---well, I can see the difference. It's definitely sharper and you can see details more clearly. The color is still what I think of as being that over-all, uniquely warm and burnished tone that I associate with the film, so they didn't monkey with that, thank goodness.

I have not seen the Blu-Ray version, as I don't have one of those players. I think DVDbeaver.com has comparison screenshots.

But I am VERY happy with it, and at $45 and change from Amazon, I think it was a good buy and something that will look stunning in any DVD library shelf.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi April:

I thought you might like to read our friend at Greenbriar. Below the Chaplin article is a two parter on your movie. Right before that you get a bonus with "Tribute To A Bad Man."

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Enjoy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I read both articles with interest, thanks Chris :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Chris. I look forward to reading it.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers