Talmadges on DVD

News and Upcoming Releases
silentscreen

Talmadges on DVD

Post by silentscreen »

Unbelievably fantastic news! Kudos to Kino for this! It will make a nice birthday gift to myself! Ronald Colman and the Talmadge sisters in March! No bonus features, but this is a risk for them, and the price is reasonable. If the sales are good, it will encourage them to take more risks. There is almost nothing of Norma on legitimate DVD. These have only been shown in the States at festivals, and I'm not sure that WITHIN THE LAW has even been shown at festivals!

http://www.classicflix.com/norma-talmad ... -9502.html

http://www.classicflix.com/constance-ta ... -9503.html
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
rudyfan

Re: Talmadges on DVD

Post by rudyfan »

I'm really excited about this!!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Me too! I think it's really important for silent film!
feaito

Post by feaito »

These are indeed great news! Thanks for posting them Brenda.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

You're welcome Fernando, and you should be able to order these too! :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This is great news, the Talmadges have been neglected long enough. Now how about some Marion Davies and Gloria Swanson too.

I know some people are never satisfied :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I'll definitely be adding these to my collection.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:This is great news, the Talmadges have been neglected long enough. Now how about some Marion Davies and Gloria Swanson too.

I know some people are never satisfied :roll:
Yes I know. And how about some Colleen Moore and more Clara Bow too? :P As it is, I'll be quite content to add more Talmadges and Colman in his super handsome days to my collection! I've already pre ordered these and have only to wait three more months. Ah well!
charliechaplinfan

The problem for me with Ronald Colman's silent films is that you don't get to hear his lovely voice :wink:

Any silents released are welcome with me. I agree that Colleen Moore and Clara Bow needing some more releases.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

You do miss Ronald's lovely, cultured voice. He was quite a gentleman, and oozed class. :) I saw Kiki though, and it wasn't such a shock that he could do comedy. All the really fine actors are versatile. I'm really looking forward to the ones with Connie since she was such a fine little commediene. From the stills I've seen, they had good chemistry together.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

I have seen both KIKI, and HER SISTER FROM PARIS. Both are delightful. You will not be disappointed. I am really looking forward to seeing HER NIGHT OF ROMANCE. Those who have seen it seem to like it the best of those three. WITHIN THE LAWis very much a mystery. THE LOVE EXPERT is another very funny Constance Talmadge film that I wish would have been included. The DVD covers are terrific. Here is a look.

Constance Talmadge and Ronald Colman "Jostled!" From HER NIGHT OF ROMANCE (1924)
charliechaplinfan

Can we look forward to hearing of a boxset of Norma's films?
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Can we look forward to hearing of a boxset of Norma's films?
From what I've been able to find out, we are quite lucky to get these, and Kino is taking a risk with them. At least Norma has two films on this boxset, Kiki and Within the Law, which have never been released to legtimate DVD before. The best way to assure that more of it's ilk is made available is to buy them. Norma's boxset can be purchased separately from Constance's. I've preordered both at the link posted above from Classicflix. Bump, here they are again. If the links don't work, try the ones in my first post in this thread.
Norma's set: http://www.classicflix.com/norma-talmad ... -9502.html

Connie's set: http://www.classicflix.com/constance-ta ... -9503.html

:wink: Brenda
charliechaplinfan

Thanks for some reason I missed the picture of Norma's DVD, silly me.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:) Well. there will be an extensive still's gallery included, which is better than you get with the Warner Archive discs. The Doris group was restoring Constance long lost EAST IS WEST (1924), and Norma's SMILIN THROUGH (1922) is screeing next month at the annual Kansas Silent Film Festival in Topeka. I encourge everyone to buy these sets. We need to encourge companies to start looking at the Colleen Moore's films, and the early Marion Davies titles not owned by Warner's.