Another Site for Hard to Find Movies on DVD-R

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lol, no, Spring Cassidy is the one at the pricier sight I posted about later in this thread. Brad Lang runs the (misleadingly titled) "Free Movies on DVD" site.

I just finished watching all of That Hamilton Woman and it was better than not having it at all, or having a shrill sounding Region 2 dvd. I remember when I used to watch my vhs of it over and over until it must have worn out. Sometimes we just have take what we can get (and afford) until the distributors do right by all of our favorites. :roll:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

movieman1957 wrote:pktrekgirl:

I know you have at times posted films you are want. Might you start a thread of what you need? I remember you posted about "The Furies" and I remember seeing it but it's not one I taped.

This way we can keep an eye out for you.

Just a thought.
A couple of weeks ago I posted one thread in The Marketplace about some Barbara Stanwyck films I was interested in. However, the list didn't include THE FURIES because I was mainly focusing on earlier films I was missing.

But I can post a more complete list - for Babs and for others as well.

The way I collect is to focus on a handful of actors/actresses at a time, and try and collect all (or as many as possible) of their films. This helps me keep organized so that I don't get too overwhelmed.

Right now I am focusing (more or less) on Barbara Stanwyck, Kay Francis, William Powell, Myrna Loy, John Barrymore, Ethel Barrymore, Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, George O'Brien, and Joel McCrea. Of course, they are in various stages of completion. For example, I'm really close on Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, Kay Francis and Barbara Stanwyck...and really only starting on the Barrymores and George O'Brien.

Using this method, I have rounded up all the existing films of Errol Flynn, Gary Cooper, Rudolph Valentino and Ronald Colman. It keeps me focused and organized...and it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I find those last, hard to locate gems.

Of course, I am interested in and trade for other films besides just the folks I am currently 'focused' on. But in terms of trying to locate the more rare titles and satisfy my completionist streak, I can only keep track of a few actors/actresses at a time.

But yeah...I would be happy to post a more complete wish-list. I've only traded with a couple of folks on this board...but I'm always looking for people to trade with - especially people who share my standards of quality.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Has anyone here bought from a seller named Robert Connors who has a stock of quite rare, unofficialy released films on DVD? What about the quality of the prints? Thanks for any insight.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ I know who he is, but I've never bought anything from him.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for replying pktrekgirl.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ I have his list, Fernando. And he does have some interesting titles. Let's keep each other posted if either of us buys anything from him. I am very curious about the quality.

His prices are more reasonable than alot of folks out there, and that makes me more inclined to do business with him. The prices he charges likely give him a small profit...but I suppose when you calculate in the time it takes to copy stuff, it's fairly reasonable.

He doesn't have many silents, but he has alot of interesting precodes - especially Paramount precodes.
feaito

Post by feaito »

OK Pktrekgirl, thanks for your offer. Likewise, if I ever buy anything from him I'll inform you about the service, quality of the prints, etc. I'm specially curious about that, since he has so many early 1930s rare Paramounts, whose qualities tend to be varied from very bad to pretty good.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Fernando -

I agree with you on the Paramounts he has. I wrote and inquired of him about a few of them, and he gave me some specifics about which ones he thought were good and which ones not so much.

I sent him an email this morning ordering a few of the ones he though were good quality - I'll let you know my assessment after I receive the parcel.

I took a chance and ordered a couple of films from the Free Films on DVD guy that Miss G was talking about upstream - 'free' for $10 each, that is...and bottom line, I will not order anything else from him. Not a crisp picture in the bunch - poor VHS transfers. And in one of them, the sound was terrible - I had to turn up my 60-inch TV to almost maximum volume to understand anything that was said...and then there was a humming sound attached. Giving money to that guy is a waste - I will be replacing these films with better copies that I will have to waste a trade to obtain as these are pretty much unwatchable - particularly the one with such major sound problems.

How annoying.

Thumbs down on that guy. It really pisses me off that people actually SELL films of such low quality as those.

Once again...trading for something like that is okay, because you are not out very much. But paying hard-earned cash and getting such absolute crap in return is tres annoying.
feaito

Post by feaito »

pktrekgirl wrote: Once again...trading for something like that is okay, because you are not out very much. But paying hard-earned cash and getting such absolute crap in return is tres annoying.
I agree with you Beda! To charge for crap is immoral.

And thanks, I'll be waiting for your feedback, because this guy who has the rare Paramounts really has great films in his list!
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Fernando,

Regarding Bob - got the films I ordered from Bob today and my assessment is: thumbs up.

I asked about the quality of things I was interested in (as I do with everyone, as you know from personal experience), and he told me that a few of them were subpar, flat out. I ordered the ones that he represented as being in good shape, and they were, indeed in good shape.

I ended up buying 8 of the Paramounts, and am quite happy with them.

I plan to buy more stuff from him.

But that other guy? The 'free films' guy? Fergetaboutit. Terrible quality, and the films he has aren't THAT rare. Bob has much rarer films...and much better quality on them.
feaito

Post by feaito »

It's great to hear that Beda. Thanks for letting me know!