Additions to Your Collection

News and Upcoming Releases
LawrenceA

Additions to Your Collection

Post by LawrenceA »

I'm starting this thread to gab about any disc, tape, or digital purchases anyone has made.

To get things started, I got this Blu-ray delivered today:

Watching until the end.
Marysara1

Re: Additions to Your Collection

Post by Marysara1 »

I got the 4k of the Daniel Craig Bonds. I was trying to find the other Bonds in 4K but ended up buying the digital 4k version on VUDU.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

LawrenceA wrote: December 16th, 2022, 1:19 pm I'm starting this thread to gab about any disc, tape, or digital purchases anyone has made.

To get things started, I got this Blu-ray delivered today:

One of my favorite films, any good extras on it?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: December 16th, 2022, 2:22 pm
One of my favorite films, any good extras on it?
Not really, just the theatrical trailer and a commentary track by a film historian. Most of the KL Blu's are sparse on extras, but the picture and sound quality is usually top notch.
Watching until the end.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I just got Detective Story as well. I was also gifted the recent Kino blu ray of Fancy Pants. I'm so excited that Murder at the Vanities was released. I already picked that up. I think Search for Beauty is coming out soon and I'm going to pick that one up as well--once that comes out, I'll have the entirety of the Universal Backlot Series pre-code DVD collection. That was a collection I didn't know existed until I already owned part of it on blu ray and saw that Kino was working on steadily releasing each title in the collection. I think Search for Beauty is the final title.

Kino has been on a roll lately.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

speedracer5 wrote: January 10th, 2023, 4:58 pm . . . I'm so excited that Murder at the Vanities was released.
The Kino Lorber Blu-ray Disc edition of Murder at the Vanities is a gem!

Although I'm trying to refrain from adding more Blu-ray DIscs to my already gargantuan movie library, I just can't seem to kick the habit and resist releases from "boutique" outfits such as Arrow Video, Mondo Macabro and Severin Films.

Recent acquisitions include the Arrow Video Blu-ray Disc edition of The Dunwich Horror, Mondo Macabro Blu-ray Disc of House of Terrors, and the Severin Films Blu-ray DIsc edition of Four Flies on Grey Velvet (a limited edition package that is already sold out).

Last edited by EP Millstone on January 10th, 2023, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

I recently received Night of the Living Dead, a 4K digital restoration from the Criterion Collection with plenty of extras, including one that I think is very interesting, a "Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies"

I also recently replaced my copy of Hail The Conquering Hero; Preston Sturges is one of favorite directors.

When in doubt, have another one.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Well since Lawrence didn't say "recent," the first video I ever bought was a Video Yesteryear VHS tape of King of the Zombies (1941). I loved the film, having seen it on TV as a kid, and bought the VHS before I even had a VCR. Video Yesteryear, out of CT, was the largest source of public domain material at the time.

I don't have that video any more, but I do have a DVD of the film, which of course exists in prints of varying quality on YouTube.

For those who aren't familiar with King of the Zombies, it was nominated for Best Music Score (Edward Kay) and featured, in addition to Mantan Moreland, great performances by Madame Sul-Te-Wan (the first actor of colour to receive a contract from a major studio); and Leigh Whipper, the first African American to join Actors' Equity. He was also a founder of the Negro Actors Guild of America.

I think the first DVD I purchased was the Fox Lorber Last Year at Marienbad.

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: January 10th, 2023, 11:44 pm Well since Lawrence didn't say "recent," the first video I ever bought was a Video Yesteryear VHS tape of King of the Zombies (1941). I loved the film, having seen it on TV as a kid, and bought the VHS before I even had a VCR. Video Yesteryear, out of CT, was the largest source of public domain material at the time.
Whatta coincidence (sort of)!

The first videocassette that I bought was the El Cheap Video Classics edition of White Zombie . . . which I still have.

I too have King of the Zombies. The first time that I saw it, I caught only the fiery finale. The scene with zombified Dick Purcell staring into the camera with his arms outstretched inexplicably made an impact on me and stayed with me.

Regarding the cast, Purcell had the distinction of being the first cinematic Captain America in the eponymous 1944 Republic Pictures serial. Tragically, Purcell died shortly after shooting of Captain America was completed.

The role of the villain (portrayed by Henry Victor) in King of the Zombies had been intended for Bela Lugosi. In Freaks, Victor's strongman "Hercules" also came to a bad end.

Leigh Whipper was memorable as "Crooks" in Of Mice and Men (1939) ("Come on in. You might as well. Everybody's coming in. Kinda like a race track.").

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

In a move that should surprise no one, I just placed my pre-order for the blu ray of "The Long Long Trailer" that is coming out next week! Finally!
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

speedracer5 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 3:15 pm In a move that should surprise no one, I just placed my pre-order for the blu ray of "The Long Long Trailer" that is coming out next week! Finally!
:D :smiley_cheer:

You know I thought of you as soon as I saw it announced.

In other disc news, the latest Criterion release announcement may be the weakest batch I've ever seen: two 4k re-releases, and only two new titles, both from the past couple of years. Blah.
Watching until the end.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I have Goodbye Mr Chips and the 4K Magnificent Seven ordered. I also have the '68 Romeo & Juliet from Criterion ordered, but I don't know if it will get delayed due to the lawsuits.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Sorry for the slight detour here, but gotta ask.

This drawing of the two leads in this movie you first posted earlier Lawrence...

Do you also think that that doesn't look that much like Eleanor Parker than it does say maybe Rosemary Clooney?

(...well, at least the artist got Kirk down pretty well, anyway)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: January 18th, 2023, 7:51 pm . . . Do you also think that that doesn't look that much like Eleanor Parker than it does say maybe Rosemary Clooney? . . .
The drawing was done during Clooney's audition for the role for Mary McLeod.

When Eleanor Parker -- who had been promised the role by writer Philip Yordan (after Parker threatened to reveal his paraphilia for being smeared with cream cheese while listening to La Bohème sung by Virginia O'Brien) -- found out, she crashed the audition and got into a fight with Clooney and pulled out all her hair (the incident was hushed up on account of it might not have actually happened).

The rest, as they say, is history.