Your Ten Most Wanted?

The place for film-trading!
The Ingenue

Re: Your Ten Most Wanted?

Post by The Ingenue »

[u]Mary-Kate[/u] wrote:A conciliatory idea: we could compile multiple lists: "My Ten Most Wanted", "My Next Ten Most Wanted," "My Last Ten Most Wanted."
HA! Oh Mary, that's wonderful!

What would get me, though, is figuring what would be classed as Most, and what would be Next Most. ( My bulletted list is in chronological order, you'll notice. )

Oh, I don't think my choices are so very rare. One or two have been within reach at times. But it was a matter of the reaching. I believe at least nine of them are extant in original negative, giving hope of better-than-bootleg prints someday. ( TCM? Netflix? Or, even, commercially released DVDs? ) But I wonder about "The Midas Touch". It was a Teddington Studios film not included in TCM's Lost and Found series on the studio several years back. And I've heard that some of the Teddington pictures were irrevocably lost in a fire. Please, oh, please say "The Midas Touch" is out there somewhere! It was the film that introduced Eileen Erskine to Philip Friend ( their very beautiful love story is told in Erskine's autobiography, Scenes from a Life ), and the only film Friend made before battling polio.

Remember, I knew only one of your original ten! Though... Give me another half-of-a-point, for a nodding acquaintance with "The Last Outlaw" ( with a tip of the ten-gallon hat to Don Miller ). That one does sound like a gem!

What is on your new list, now that "True to Life" and "Valley of Song" and "The Runaround" have been found? And speaking of that copy of "The Runaround"--the print doesn't have to be watchable. Just here.
Last edited by The Ingenue on June 25th, 2013, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

The Ingenue wrote:My bulletted list is in chronological order, you'll notice. )
That's slow of me, no I didn't! :oops: I wish you the best of luck in finding them, I wish I could help you with more than one (and I'll keep in mind what you said about The Runaround. :wink: )
The Ingenue wrote:But I wonder about "The Midas Touch". It was a Teddington Studios film not included in TCM's Lost and Found series on the studio several years back. And I've heard that some of the Teddington pictures were irrevocably lost in a fire.
There's always a touch of horror in my reaction to news like that. B-b-burned up? Few phrases sound so final and tragic as "irrevocably lost." And so many of the early BBC literary adaptions were blotted from existence when they taped over the prints; some I would have loved to see...
The Ingenue wrote:Remember, I knew only one of your original ten! Though... Give me another half-of-a-point, for a nodding acquaintance with "The Last Outlaw" ( with a tip of the ten-gallon hat to Don Miller ). That one does sound like a gem!
An update on The Last Outlaw, for you and Miss Goddess: I did buy a very inexpensive VHS copy of it on ebay, and while better than nothing, it deserves a much better release ... the scratchy sound is the biggest minus, the picture quality isn't bad.
The Ingenue wrote:What is on your new list, now that "True to Life" and "Valley of Song" and "The Runaround" have been found?
I've actually filled in some more gaps and tinkered around with it a bit since I first posted it. Here's my present list, which can always be subject to change:

1. Murder in Trinidad (1934)
2. The Tiger Makes Out (1967)
3. While the Sun Shines (1947)
4. A Girl in a Million (1946)
5. Double Deal (1950)
6. Memorandum for a Spy (1965)
7. The Frog (1937)
8. The Lonely Profession (1969) (TV)
9. The Rack (United States Steel Hour)
10. Secrets of Monte Carlo (1951)

NOTE: lighter lettering indicates that the title has been found, and/or is no longer on my list. 3/2/14.
Last edited by Maricatrin on March 2nd, 2014, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Good gracious! Another bunch of films I don't know! Oh...but that means I don't have any of them for you.

"It's Not Cricket" is not on this new list of yours. Did you find a copy of that too? Or was it re-prioritized in the tinkering? ( I certainly know how that goes... ) While looking up cast lists of your first ten, I noticed that "...Cricket" stars Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne. Is it a Charters & Caldicott comedy?

I'm so happy for you, finding "The Last Outlaw"! If the sound isn't so good, well... At least you have the pleasure of looking at Harry Carey, Sr. I love the man's face.

With the checking-off of "The Runaround" ( thank you, thank you! ), the battle began! What title would take it's place in The Ingenue's Ten Most Wanted? Why it's "Two-Fisted" (1935), by a knock-out.

Don't it look like a pip?! Notice the cast list at the bottom of the still ( providing the still shows up--I'm having a little server trouble ): Lee Tracy, Roscoe Karns, Gail Patrick, Kent Taylor and Grace Bradley. That's for me.
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

The Ingenue wrote:"It's Not Cricket" is not on this new list of yours. Did you find a copy of that too? Or was it re-prioritized in the tinkering? ( I certainly know how that goes... ) While looking up cast lists of your first ten, I noticed that "...Cricket" stars Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne. Is it a Charters & Caldicott comedy?
Oh, it wasn't going off the list 'till I found it, I love those two chaps! Their names aren't Charters and Caldicott in It's Not Cricket, but everything else about them is pure Charters and Caldicott (might It's Not Cricket be on your "Ten Next Most Wanted" list?)
The Ingenue wrote:I'm so happy for you, finding "The Last Outlaw"! If the sound isn't so good, well... At least you have the pleasure of looking at Harry Carey, Sr. I love the man's face.
A wonderfuly weathered, wise face. Transferring The Last Outlaw to my computer, I have been able to improve the picture quality a little, but I haven't tried anything with the sound yet. Here are some shots from the very touching Father/Daughter moment at the end of the story:

The Ingenue wrote:With the checking-off of "The Runaround" ( thank you, thank you! ), the battle began! What title would take it's place in The Ingenue's Ten Most Wanted? Why it's "Two-Fisted" (1935), by a knock-out.

Don't it look like a pip?! Notice the cast list at the bottom of the still ( providing the still shows up--I'm having a little server trouble ): Lee Tracy, Roscoe Karns, Gail Patrick, Kent Taylor and Grace Bradley. That's for me.
Hilarious picture! :lol:

I'm very familiar with Kent Taylor, always a most dependable presence, and while I've seen both Gail and Grace in movies, they are best known to me as, respectively, the producer of Perry Mason, and Mrs. Hopalong Cassidy.

Kent Taylor plays Doc Holliday in the second film on my "Ten Next Most Wanted" list, posted below:

1. Once Upon a Dream (1949)
2. Tombstone: The Town Too Tough to Die (1942)
3. This Man in Paris (1939)
4. When My Baby Smiles at Me (1948)
5. Men in Her Life (1931)
6. Mister Moses (1965)
7. Bachelor of Hearts (1958)
8. The Girl Downstairs (1938)
9. Insurance Investigator (1951)
10. Manhunt in the Jungle (1958)

There! I've started the ball rolling, now others can follow suit. :wink:

Note: lighter lettering indicates that the title has been found, and/or is no longer on my list.
Last edited by Maricatrin on February 2nd, 2015, 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

I will also put a list on here.

The King Steps Out (1936)
Rose of the Rancho (1936)
Raw Wind In Eden(1958)
The Big Show (1961)
The Medium (1951)
George White`s Scandals (1935)
Now I`ll Tell (1934)
Every Night At Eight (1935)
Music Is Magic (1935)
King Of Burlesque (1936)
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

Quality isn't very good, but Raw Wind In Eden(1958) is on youtube at the moment:

[youtube][/youtube]

The King Steps Out (1936) is one I'm looking for too... I'll let you know if I find a copy!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

There's a few Ann Sheridan films I'm still hunting for, most notably Winter Carnival (1939). A Complicated Girl (1969) is an early giallo I've been searching for, as well as Five Women for the Killer (1974)--I can find prints in Italian, but not subtitled. I'm also looking for a copy of Renoir's Le Chienne (1931), as well as a better transfer of The Crime of M. Lange (1935)--mine is washed out and faded. Back in the U.S.A., I'm trying to find decent prints of the following:

Mystery Ranch (1932)
The Man who Reclaimed His Head (1934)
Who is Hope Schuyler? (1942)
The Man who Wouldn't Die (1942)
Jealousy (1945)
M (1951)--the American remake of Lang's 1931 film
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

The Man Who Wouldn't Die is another good one in the Michael Shayne series (I've always liked Lloyd Nolan) and it's one of four titles on the Michael Shayne Mysteries: Volume One set, available for sale on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Shayne-My ... B000LC4ZDK
... or for rental on ClassicFlix.

Mystery Ranch (1932) is also available for rental from ClassicFlix, but it seems to be one of those titles that is forever on "wait." But I'm still keeping it in my queue!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Mary-Kate wrote:The Man Who Wouldn't Die is another good one in the Michael Shayne series (I've always liked Lloyd Nolan) and it's one of four titles on the Michael Shayne Mysteries: Volume One set, available for sale on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Shayne-My ... B000LC4ZDK
... or for rental on ClassicFlix.

Mystery Ranch (1932) is also available for rental from ClassicFlix, but it seems to be one of those titles that is forever on "wait." But I'm still keeping it in my queue!
Thanks for letting me know they're out there. It's hard to keep up with all the releases and many times when there is not demand for a product, it gets pulled after a few years, so if you didn't grab it then--it's gone, or worse--costs quite a bit more for the OOP copy that went for chump change six months ago.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'll add THE CRIMINAL CODE, a Howard Hawks prison drama still talked about. Jack Arnold's THE TATTERED DRESS. I don't expect greatness, but I like the director's eye for small scale drama. The original GLASS KEY. I like the second filming and the book. I often hear about obscure crime stories on this site. But I don't write them down. Now I don't remember the titles!

There are a couple of Karloff creepers I haven't seen. THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES, maybe? They all look alike after a while!
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Thanks for letting me know they're out there. It's hard to keep up with all the releases and many times when there is not demand for a product, it gets pulled after a few years, so if you didn't grab it then--it's gone, or worse--costs quite a bit more for the OOP copy that went for chump change six months ago.
You're welcome. And oh yes, I've encountered both scenarios too ... I also dread encountering "currently unavailable due to licensing restrictions" on Amazon streaming.
RedRiver wrote:The original GLASS KEY. I like the second filming and the book.
It's also on youtube at present:

[youtube][/youtube]

If you haven't already seen it, I recommend the Karloff film "The Walking Dead." A very unusual but interesting story that is quite moving (no pun intended) at times. It's available for rental from Netflix (or it was last year, before I cancelled.)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

One of these days, I'm going to have to get my own computer. Just can't see watching a movie on You Tube at the library! I don't think I have seen the Karloff film you mentioned, MK. Again, so many of them have common themes. Boris was always being reborn in one sense or another! But this one doesn't sound familiar.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Mary-Kate was kind enough to send me a copy of the 1935 THE GLASS KEY. It's outstanding! Darker and more intimate than the later version; benefiting, rather than suffering, from its low production values. The focus is on story, story and story! If anything, the young George Raft makes a more believable streetwise fixer than Alan Ladd. Likewise, Edward Arnold, a tremendous and selfless player, bites into the role of political ward boss and rips it to pieces.

The one thing this early telling of Dashiel Hammett's page turner lacks is the deliciously menacing William Bendix. Bendix goes to town in the 1940s version as the sadistic pugilist charged with "babysitting" the captive hero. In the Raft/Arnold project, that postion is filled by Guinn "Big Boy" Williams! Williams, a big boy and then some, is fine in the role. His presence does nothing to hurt the credibility of this excellent thriller. But Bendix is the shining star of the other film, and his charm (maybe I should think of a better word!) is missed in this one.

Both filmings of THE GLASS KEY are fascinating. In the long run, this all but forgotten classic is the better.