What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Swithin

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Swithin »

Thompson wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:01 am I’m serious sort of in a way because misology is a word, in the dictionary, but I have not found one person yet who has heard of the word.
I thought it must be the study of miso. If not, what is the word for the study of miso?

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:41 am
speedracer5 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 2:33 pm I'm about 80% through Alison Arngrim's (aka Nellie Oleson from "Little House on the Prairie") autobiography, "Confessions of a Prairie B itch." It's been an entertaining read so far. I especially enjoyed reading about her friendship with Melissa Gilbert (aka Laura Ingalls) and how much both of them disliked Melissa Sue Anderson (aka Mary Ingalls).
My sister and I used to watch LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE on Superstation TBS. We both liked the Nellie Oleson character even though (or maybe because) she was a b***** . Interesting that neither Alison Arngrim or Melissa Gilbert liked Melissa Sue Anderson.
In the early episodes the scenes with Nellie and Laura were my favorites. I love the episode where Nellie fakes being paralyzed to guilt Laura into being her slave.

As a kid I crushed on the super cute Andrew Garvey (Patrick Labyorteaux).

When searching for images of Patrick Labyorteaux, I found this one with his real life brother Matthew (who played Albert on LITTLE HOUSE).

Here's hoping crop tops for men make a comeback.

At moments like this, I really miss LornaHansonForbes from the TCM message board . . .
According to Alison Arngrim, Melissa Sue Anderson was very standoffish and always had her nose up in the air (so to speak). Not that I know the cast members, but based on Mary, Laura and Nellie, I can see Mary being a snob. Lol. We used to watch 'Little House' in the mornings before school. I can't remember what channel it was on. Maybe TBS? But I feel like it was something like Family Channel or USA. We also watched Gilligan's Island and Pokemon before school too.

I always liked the episodes where Nellie and Laura got into a brawl. Frankly, sometimes Laura had it coming, she could be a snot. I hated though when Nellie grew up and Mrs Oleson adopted the Nellie clone, Nancy. Nancy was just a mean little brat. Nellie had least had some humanity to her. Lol. What's interesting about Nancy is that according to Arngrim, Nancy is wearing the Nellie OIeson wig! So she really was being made into a mini-Nellie. When Nellie comes to visit from New York with her husband, Percival, they had to get her some other hair, because her Nellie hair was being used. So they ended up putting her in some sort of Gibson Girl wig, figuring that that 'do would be becoming on a wealthy city woman like Nellie.

I think Patrick Labyorteaux was in Heathers, and the cult classic, Ski School.

Re: Albert. Albert was a mess. He was responsible for the fire at the blind school, and ultimately the death of Mary's baby. Then, he gets hooked on morphine and is reduced to stealing it from Doc Baker's office. A white-haired Pa Ingalls had to come from Mankato or Sleepy Eye or wherever he and Ma moved to, and perform an intervention!
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

speedracer5 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:02 pm
speedracer5 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 2:33 pm I'm about 80% through Alison Arngrim's (aka Nellie Oleson from "Little House on the Prairie") autobiography, "Confessions of a Prairie B itch." It's been an entertaining read so far. I especially enjoyed reading about her friendship with Melissa Gilbert (aka Laura Ingalls) and how much both of them disliked Melissa Sue Anderson (aka Mary Ingalls).
My sister and I used to watch LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE on Superstation TBS. We both liked the Nellie Oleson character even though (or maybe because) she was a b***** . Interesting that neither Alison Arngrim or Melissa Gilbert liked Melissa Sue Anderson.
In the early episodes the scenes with Nellie and Laura were my favorites. I love the episode where Nellie fakes being paralyzed to guilt Laura into being her slave.

When searching for images of Patrick Labyorteaux, I found this one with his real life brother Matthew (who played Albert on LITTLE HOUSE).

Here's hoping crop tops for men make a comeback.

At moments like this, I really miss LornaHansonForbes from the TCM message board . . .
According to Alison Arngrim, Melissa Sue Anderson was very standoffish and always had her nose up in the air (so to speak). Not that I know the cast members, but based on Mary, Laura and Nellie, I can see Mary being a snob. Lol. We used to watch 'Little House' in the mornings before school. I can't remember what channel it was on. Maybe TBS? But I feel like it was something like Family Channel or USA. We also watched Gilligan's Island and Pokemon before school too.

I always liked the episodes where Nellie and Laura got into a brawl. Frankly, sometimes Laura had it coming, she could be a snot. I hated though when Nellie grew up and Mrs Oleson adopted the Nellie clone, Nancy. Nancy was just a mean little brat. Nellie had least had some humanity to her. Lol. What's interesting about Nancy is that according to Arngrim, Nancy is wearing the Nellie OIeson wig! So she really was being made into a mini-Nellie. When Nellie comes to visit from New York with her husband, Percival, they had to get her some other hair, because her Nellie hair was being used. So they ended up putting her in some sort of Gibson Girl wig, figuring that that 'do would be becoming on a wealthy city woman like Nellie.

Re: Albert. Albert was a mess. He was responsible for the fire at the blind school, and ultimately the death of Mary's baby. Then, he gets hooked on morphine and is reduced to stealing it from Doc Baker's office. A white-haired Pa Ingalls had to come from Mankato or Sleepy Eye or wherever he and Ma moved to, and perform an intervention!

I just got the boxed set of the nine 'Little House' books because I've never read them. According to Arngrim, Michael Landon took a lot of liberties with the Laura Ingalls Wilder story, so it'd be interesting to read "the truth" versus what I know from the show.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Swithin wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:50 am
Thompson wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:01 am I’m serious sort of in a way because misology is a word, in the dictionary, but I have not found one person yet who has heard of the word.
I thought it must be the study of miso. If not, what is the word for the study of miso?

No it ain’t miso or missiles or mythology. The definition of misology is the hatred and fear of reasoning and argument. I mean c’mon, what better insult to hurl at someone than calling him/her a misologist. The irony is since nobody knows what the word means, it’s like whistling in the wind. But my vocabulary has increased and I’m hoping this word makes a comeback.
laffite

Post by laffite »

It will never make a comeback. It it ever was. There are too many easier ways to express what it means. Use a word like that and everyone will think you are a fancy pants. They will hate you for it. People don't like wise guys. But I commend you for your vocabulary project. Perhaps you might move on to something that can be truly useful. Exeleutherostomize. It has some of the same problems as the other one did, but at least it is new. Switching obsessions can be invigorating.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

That’s what I’m missing in my wardrobe, Laffite, fancy pants. There’s a clothes store not too far away called Fancy Pants. I don’t know if it’s a woman’s or men’s store. I’ve noticed the style of pants these days are on the high water side.
So yeah, if I get me a pair of fancy pants I’ll
get ‘em on the short side so the bottoms don’t fray. Also i can sport some colorful socks.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

speedracer5 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:07 pm My sister and I used to watch LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE on Superstation TBS. We both liked the Nellie Oleson character even though (or maybe because) she was a b***** .
Never watched Little House on the Prairie. Maybe if it's title had been changed to Little B1tch on the Prairie . . . Now THAT I'd watch!
speedracer5 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:07 pm I always liked the episodes where Nellie and Laura got into a brawl . . .
I'm envisioning the characters as adults in Real Housewives on the Prairie.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:50 am I thought it must be the study of miso. If not, what is the word for the study of miso?
Insanity.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:28 pm . . . The definition of misology is the hatred and fear of reasoning and argument.
laffite wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:46 am . . . Perhaps you might move on to something that can be truly useful. Exeleutherostomize . . .
This is why I visit and remain on the SSO.

Exeleutherostomize. Love it! Now say it in French!
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: January 29th, 2023, 3:12 pm
Thompson wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:28 pm . . . The definition of misology is the hatred and fear of reasoning and argument.
laffite wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:46 am . . . Perhaps you might move on to something that can be truly useful. Exeleutherostomize . . .
This is why I visit and remain on the SSO.

Exeleutherostomize. Love it! Now say it in French!
Parbleu, je n'y aucune idee! ! Je ne me connais pas bien en vocabulaire!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:02 pm
speedracer5 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 2:33 pm I'm about 80% through Alison Arngrim's (aka Nellie Oleson from "Little House on the Prairie") autobiography, "Confessions of a Prairie B itch."
My sister and I used to watch LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE on Superstation TBS. We both liked the Nellie Oleson character even though (or maybe because) she was a b***** .

Yes, Patrick Labyorteaux was in HEATHERS and SKI SCHOOL.
His character in HEATHERS was an a**hole, but he was cute.
It was strange hearing "Andrew Garvey" dropping f-bombs.

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Having lost my taste for fiction, I now primarily read books about movies, biographies (usually about filmmakers and actors), essays, "New Journalism" (by writers such as Hunter S. Thompson and Tom Wolfe), and humor. Re the final category, I am presently enjoying Tragically I was an Only Twin -- The Complete Peter Cook, edited by William Cook (no relation to Peter). Not a biography but a compendium of transcriptions of Peter Cook's "strange comic genius," it charts the meteoric rise and, IMO, guttering fall of "the funniest man who ever drew breath" (according to Stephen Fry).

For me, the book's title evokes My Brother was an Only Child by Jack Douglas, who was a comedy writer for Jack Paar. Peter Cook too was a comedy writer and also a comedian
("number one in the Comedians' Comedian" poll). For this "Yank," his greatest claim to fame was his partnership with Dudley Moore. Together they made one of my favorite comedies: Bedazzled. They also appeared in movies that I didn't find as funny as that 1967 parody of Faust, e.g., The Wrong Box, The Bed-Sitting Room, and The Hound of the Baskervilles. But, in the flippant parlance of Andrew Dice Clay, they can't all be golden.

Before teaming with Moore, Cook achieved stardom in Beyond the Fringe, which also featured Moore, Alan Bennett, and Jonathan Miller. A box office and critically acclaimed hit both in England and on Broadway, the satirical revue "spawned" irreverent TV programs such as That Was the Week That Was (born from Cook's nightclub The Establishment) and Monty Python's Flying Circus. The success of Beyond the Fringe prompted the BBC to offer Dudley Moore his own TV show, which Cook joined at Moore's invitation and which became Not Only But Also. A decade later, Cook and Moore scored another Broadway hit with another comedy revue, Good Evening. Ultimately, Moore's star ascended while Cook's veered off on a trajectory that found him pseudonymously calling a talk show as a Norwegian named Sven obsessed about fish.

As with practically everything, humor and comedy are subjective. Whether one finds Peter Cook's satirical and surreal sketches, routines, and improvisations humorous will be a matter of taste. I did not find everything in William Cook's compilation humorous. Chapter Six, Private Eye, offers Peter Cook's contributions to the satirical journal Private Eye that had been started by Peter Ustinov and taken over by Cook. After reading about a quarter of it, I bailed. Cook's "outrageous nonsense fantasies" just did not grab me. I skipped Chapter Twelve, Sports Reporter entirely; I'm not a sports fan. The material that tremendously tickled my funny bone consisted of Peter Cook's sketches with Dudley Moore -- the chapter Pete & Dud being a hilarious highlight, particularly their Not Only But Also skit "Film Stars."

After Dud reports being passionately accosted by "bloody Anna Magnani, up to her knees in rice, screaming at me, 'Amore me, por favor!", Pete commiserates . . .

Pete: ". . . I had the same bloody trouble about two nights ago. I come in, about half past eleven at night. We'd been having a couple of drinks, I remember. I come in, get into bed, you see, feeling quite sleepy. I could feel the lids of me eyes beginning to droop, you see -- a bit of the droop in the eyes. I was just about to drop off when suddenly -- tap, tap, tap at the bloody window pane. I looked out. You know who it was."
Dud: "Who?"
Pete: "Greta Garbo. Bloody Greta Garbo, stark naked, save for a short nightie, hanging on to the window sill, and I could see her knuckles all white, saying, 'Peter, Peter.' You know how those bloody Swedes go on. I said, 'Get out of it!' Bloody Greta Garbo. She wouldn't go, she wouldn't go. I had to smash her down with a broomstick -- poke her off the window sill. She fell down onto the pavement with a great crash."
Dud: "She just had a nightie on, is that all?"
Pete: "That's all she had on, Dud."
Dud: "See-through?"
Pete: "A see-through short nightie, nothing else -- except for her dark glasses, of course. Dreadful business."

The, to me, hilarious Pete & Dud transcripts along with the equally delightful Chapter Eleven, Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling (nattering on about The Twelve Days of Christmas), and the inclusions of the classic Cook and Moore routines Frog & Peach and One Leg Too Few more than compensated for the parts of Tragically I Was an Only Twin that I found . . . (Ahem!) less than brilliant.

"Comic genius." The father of modern satire." . "The funniest Englishman since Chaplin." "The funniest man in England." "The funniest man in the world." These are the accolades showered upon Peter Cook by his peers and contemporaries. In a 1979 TV interview with Cook, journalist and "television presenter" David Dimbleby tells Cook that people who worked with him regard him as a revolutionary who "totally changed the face of English humor" and credit that he "showed them the way or was the most inspired humorist of all of them."

"Well, this is no time for false modesty," responded Cook, not entirely kidding, "I agree completely."

IMO, the perfect punchline from a very, Very, VERY funny wit whose legacy deserves to be preserved and honored, and, I hope, shall be, thanks to Editor William Cook.

Excerpts from Tragically I Was an Only Twin -- The Complete Peter Cook

Last edited by EP Millstone on January 29th, 2023, 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:43 pm

For me, the book's title evokes My Brother was an Only Child by Jack Douglas, who was a comedy writer for Jack Paar.
I cannot believe you mentioned Jack Douglas and My Brother Was an Only Child, a book I read in my teen years, after seeing Douglas on TV. Nobody mentions Jack Douglas anymore!* I also read his other great work, Never Trust a Naked Bus Driver.

(*That's your cue to quote the best line from Wise Blood: "They ain't quit doin' it as long as I'm doin' it!")
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I had a drink with Hunter S Thompson at the House of Blues. Well, I was at the bar and he was at the bar, and we both had a drink. Not that we chitchatted or nodded to each another.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: January 30th, 2023, 2:51 am I had a drink with Hunter S Thompson at the House of Blues. Well, I was at the bar and he was at the bar, and we both had a drink. Not that we chitchatted or nodded to each another.
I have something in common with Hunter S. Thompson too. We went to different schools together. :smiley_shades: