Movie and TV Mistakes

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hollis wrote:Anne,

Lou Gehrig was number 4 for the Yankees and was in fact a leftie. He was the real "Iron Man", not Cal Ripken, who played to maintain his streak even when he was unproductive and hurting his team, the Baltimore Orioles.
I won't argue Gehrig's right to that title since he did it first. I would disagree to some extent about Ripken's motives. He played too long after he broke Gehrig's mark to do it just for fun.(2632 to 2131.) He loved playing and as long as he could he played. Could he have sat out sooner, sure, but when he did he went on his own terms. The problem partly was we didn't have anyone better wherever he played.

Congratulations on your Phillies winning. "Bout time too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Pardon me for butting in, but wasn’t Gehrig “The Iron Horse”?

I had the great pleasure of seeing Cal Ripken play after breaking Gehrig’s impressive record, and Ripken was still in great form. Attendance was high, and I think that was in no small part due to Ripken (although the beautiful Camden Yards certainly helped). Baseball could use a few more Ripken’s, past their prime or not.

Go Mets....
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hollis:

I guess I was born to be a 'lovable losers' fan. I've cheered the CUBS ever since I was old enough to understand what was going on (I despise the SOX) and I followed my precious BEARS even the 10 years I lived in Las Vegas. I'll always consider myself lucky to be a BEAR fan while Peyton was playing because I saw him in every game. People from other states only got to see him maybe 5 or 6 times a year so they couldn't fully appreciate him. There is no doubt in my mind that Walter Peyton was the best football player ever in the history of the game. The day after he died the Chicago Sun Times devoted the entire newpaper to him and I saved it. I wish I knew a good way to preserve it because some day my grandson, who never saw him play will probably be able to make a bundle from it from some collector.

Thanks for answering my questions. Of course I've heard of Lou Gehrig, and Cal Ripkin, I remember in Las Vegas they interrupted regular programming to show him at bat for that special game, whatever it was, most games played or whatever.

I have to admit however, todays records don't really erase the old ones. Uniforms are different, the black guys stay at air conditioned hotels, the buses are A/C and/or the planes, medications and medical methods are totally different, and lets not even get into football with warming benches, far better insulation in uniforms, etc., etc. etc. Athletes today are so pampered compared to even the 50's, it's pathetic. If Lou Gehrig played 3100 games - he played them in rain, in a WOOLEN uniform in daytime on a dusty field - many fields didn't have grass, and he traveled from game to game overnight sitting up on a bus with the rest of the team yet still played the next day - PULEEZE, there is no comparison.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
melwalton

Gerhig

Post by melwalton »

Anne
I'm sorry to have worried you. I thought everyone, even non fans knew about Lou Gehrig, He was the only Yankee ever to wear #4 and he batted left handed. It would be understandable were it just any ballplayer but Gehrig was one of the very best known, they even made a movie about him. Someone failed to do the research. There's no comparison with Ripkin. The latter got an attendance record. Henry, Louis ( his mother called him Heinrich, Ludwig )) Gehrig is amongst the top players in several lifetime batting statistics. .... mel
melwalton

football

Post by melwalton »

Hey, Hollis

You've got a point, 20 - 14 is 1 point better than 36 - 31. too bad the Eagles aren't going to the playoffs but guess who is. a bunch of crip,ples who are still the champs. merry Christmas ... mel
melwalton

..bears

Post by melwalton »

Anne

You've got it wrong this time. the all time best was Lawrence Taylor. Ask anyone except Hollis. L T made them change the rules they were afraid he'd kill some qb
As for Bears running backs, I guess you're too young to remember Bronco Nagurski, george McAfee or Bill Osmanski. have a nice Christmas ... mel
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hey Mel,

The race to the playoffs isn't over yet and we're not out of it yet.. Seems to me the Giants spent plenty of post seasons watching the playoffs from their living rooms. LT was among the best, (and got a lot of press due to his cocaine habit) but have you ever heard of a guy named Butkus? Or Nitschke? They were scary good. And linemen? ever hear of a certain guy named Reggie White (drafted by the Eagles from the old USFL) who was unfortunately forced out by Norman Braman and signed with Green Bay (and won a Super Bowl?) How about Jerome Brown, who undoubtedly would have been a HOF player had he not been killed in an automobile wreck.

Chris, all that you need do is look at his stats for the 2 and 3 years immediately prior to breaking the record. His record for men left on base while he was at bat was abysmal. And a lot of K's as well. Still, he was one of the best shortstops ever, "almost" as good as Ozzie Smith!

Anne, how could you miss a Gary Cooper role? "Lou, Lou, Lou!" and "Sweetness" was one of, if not the best ever. He was loved outside Chicago too. Have you ever heard of Barry Sanders? Maybe the best ever RB and without an offensive line or fullback to block for him! And he simply walked away (like Jim Brown) when he'd had enough. No retirement and comeback for them. "Be it ever thus, to thine own self be true."

Michigan, you're absolutely correct, Lou Gehrig was known as the "Iron Horse", but the term "Iron Man" seems somehow to have replaced it.

Mark, that episode of M*A*S*H was on the air today. Radar was talking about the "Son of Godzilla" being that night's movie, saying the original was out two years earlier! Nice catch!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

As always,

Ho-Ho- Hollis
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You guys have me wrong. I've seen Pride of the Yankees a hundred times, I just never associated the number 4 as being special. P.S. I'm not a big Cooper fan, and I laugh when the Maria Cooper tribute is on and they show Coop giving Lou's farewell speech as if it is his own by saying what a fine speaker he was.

Mel: There are a lot of great running backs, and Chicago has had quite a few of them, including Gayle Sayres, and Brian Piccolo, but 'Sweetness' made and broke all those records basically alone - he barely had any kind of defensive line working with, and for him in his whole career except the 1985 team.

Anne
Anne

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Actually Walter Payton had a better offensive line working for him then Barry Sanders for the majority of his career. The last few years of Sanders' career there was a good O-line but they wre mostly a pass protection line rather then a good run blocking line so even then he wasn't working with a full deck. Sanders was the 2nd best RB i've ever seen. Payton is still number one to me.

Emmitt Smith....what a joke, the guy had the best O-line in football for nearly his entire career. I could've put up big numbers behind the Dallas O-Line!

Anyways my Bills are out of it this year so i've resorted to cheering on the Falcons because the GM has a Canadian connection and i'm one of the few guys that saw how good Matt Ryan could be on another message board I frequent.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

hey you guys!!!! What happened to the original purpose of this thread? I thought it was supposed to be about goofs and mistakes in tv or movies??? Can you tell I am NOT a football fan???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of my favorite "goofs" is in Silk Stockings, when Cyd Charisse is dancing in a "movie studio" with Fred Astaire. Part of the dance, she wears a wraparound skirt, and then the skirt becomes culottes. The best part is, it switches back and forth more than once.

Now how's that for a "girly" subject??? :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

One of my favorite “mistakes” is in the original King Kong. On the island, Kong measures approx. 18 feet tall, but director’s Cooper and Schoedsack thought that his height was unimpressive in New York, and (rightly) figuring that audiences wouldn’t notice the change in scale, had him grow to 24 feet.

Also, one of the animators had mistakenly left a pair of pliers lying in camera range in the foreground. Rather than re-animate the entire sequence, since the pliers were unidentifiable, he moved them out of the scene, frame-by-frame as he also animated the dinosaurs.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
melwalton

football

Post by melwalton »

You're rioght, Nancy. some of us take it too seriously. I promise, no more footba;; from me. ... mel
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear Anne,

Thanks for the kind thoughts, I hope they go directly from your lips (or keyboard) to God's ears! Allow me to wish you the same, a pain-free 2009 and more prosperity than you'll know what to do with!

Fondly and as always,

Ho-Ho Hollis
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mel:

I truly apologize. There is nothing worse on these boards than a hi-jacked thread and I'm ashamed to admit I contributed. Please forgive!!! :cry:

Anne
Anne

melwalton

hi jack

Post by melwalton »

Anne

You did nothing wrong. I like to get responses, even when they tell me how nutty I am. I think the whole idea is someone expresses an opinion and others say what they think about it. I'm very opinionated, even on subjects I know nothiong about. It's fun. I hope you'll keep replying to my posts. We'll still be friends. ... mel