PETER GUNN or 77 SUNSET STRIP
50%
OR anyone else?
50%

Total votes: 2

Dewey1960

PRIVATE EYES and TV NOIR

Post by Dewey1960 »

Back in the late 50s and early 60s when the Private Eye was king on network television, any number of slick dicks ruled the roost. Some even qualify for consideration as examples of "TV Noir." Among my own personal favorites were JOHNNY STACCATO, brilliantly played by John Cassavetes for one single season (1959/60), PETER GUNN, Blake Edwards' exciting, tongue in cheek PI and, of course, the lads over at 77 SUNSET STRIP. Which TV private eyes (from any decade) worked best for you?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

77 Sunset Strip was a great show.

I also enjoyed The Rockford Files.
klondike

Post by klondike »

JohnM wrote:I loved all those Warner Brothers television shows like 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye and Surfside Six!
Don't forget the least well-remembered (and likely, least popular) of Warner Bros' "P.I. Quartet": Bourbon Street Beat, starring Richard Long and Andrew Duggan, nearly a decade before they both reappeared on two different Old West Family Ranch Dramas.
Personally, I always felt that Hawaiian Eye was the far superior gumshoe opera, sort of establishing that surfer motif, jazz-note "pineapple cool" that other shows were quick to emulate. Particularly entertaining was Robert Conrad's portrayal of hot-&-cold kahuna Tom Lopaka.
One could only wish the studio would have reprieved us an occasional episode without a tail-dragging torch song from Connie Stevens, replete with her "tipsy-Tammy" wardrobe!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've said before, I love them all. 77 Sunset Strip was my favorite, of course because of Kookie. Boy would I have borrowed his comb!!!

But let us not forget the terrific Mr. Dan Tana, of Vegas and his 55 red Thunderbird convertible!!!

Klondike: Is that Avatar a self portrait? What a handsome specimen.
Strong face, nicely shaped features, and what eyes!!! :roll:

Anne
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I have always loved all the WB detective shows, but I'll give a slight nudge to 77 Sunset Strip. Later I enjoyed Mannix from 1967-1975 with Mike Connors and I really liked Columbo with Peter Falk.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote: Klondike: Is that Avatar a self portrait? What a handsome specimen.
Strong face, nicely shaped features, and what eyes!!! :roll:

Anne
Yup, it's the one the DMV wouldn't let me use for my license.

(Vermont's so hypocritical: farmstead tax exemptions, civil unions, presidential impeachment votes, municipal nudity, no problem; but all-fours for photo i.d.? Nope, right back to the Dark Ages!)

Klondike
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip, Mannix, Peter Gunn, Checkmate,
Burke's Law, Rockford Files,
...I can't think of one I watched that I didn't like...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I had a funny experience several years ago. I was reading a book about TV detectives. I didn't know any of the shows in the early chapters of the book, so I was relieved when I got to the chapter on "Mannix." I remembered watching that show and Mannix' red convertible.

So I start reading the chapter, and the author is praising "Mannix" and how each episode built on the previous episode in building the rivalry between Mannix and his brother, who owned the detective agency and employed Mannix.

I'm reading this and feeling that I've fallen into a parallel universe, because this was utterly unlike the "Mannix" I remembered. Then, finally, I read that the show changed direction after the first season, the other brother was written out of the series, and I finally recognized the "mannix" I remembered.
Dewey1960

Harry O

Post by Dewey1960 »

My all-time favorite 1970s Private Eye show was HARRY O starring David Janssen, an actor who doesn't receive nearly enough praise. Airing for only a couple of seasons ('74-'76), it was a highly evocative show with echoes of Raymond Chandler (Harry's voice-overs were a big part of what made the show so appealing) in its depiction of a world-weary gumshoe living on the outer edges of loneliness. Brilliantly written and consistently well-directed, this was the closest the medium ever came to approximating the mood and temperment of 40s style hard-boiled pulp fiction. Harry's personal problems were much like anyone else's only more so and Janssen was extraordinarily gifted at expressing inner pain in simple and subtle ways. The show reeled in some Emmys and had a fairly loyal following but mysteriously (and sadly) disappeared much too soon. Does anyone else have fond recollections of this show? I doubt that it's ever been in syndication and the likelihood of it ever being released on DVD seems remote at best.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I remember "Harry O" and watched it several times. My memory, however, is that the show was often "bumped" from the Cleveland ABC schedule, and that I eventually got interested in other shows. Still, the local TV critic really praised "Harry O."

I suppose "The Rockford Files" was the last hurrah of the TV private eye.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm sad to say I have never seen Peter Gunn though it's been praised to the skies to me by fans since I can remember. Is it on dvd? I don't understand why such a popular show never seemed to air on TV Land or anywhere else in re-run.

I have lately discovered the Warner Brothers shows since the American Life Network started airing them a few years ago. I think I like 77 Sunset Strip the best. It's fun to see Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. a lot "looser" than he was in "The FBI", which I like but find too straight-laced.

I vaguely remember "Mannix" because I think my Mom talked about it a lot. I would like to see it again.

American Life also airs "Harry-O" and I agree it's very well done, only I find his character a wee bit too "on the fringes". I just get the impression Harry isn't very clean. :wink:

What about "Baretta"? My Mom liked that one too but I don't remember anything except a parrot Robert Blake had. Was he a P.I. or a cop?

I have to say I actually like Magnum P.I., even though I hardly enjoy anything from the post-70s era.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

MissG wrote: "I'm sad to say I have never seen Peter Gunn though it's been praised to the skies to me by fans since I can remember. Is it on dvd?"

PETER GUNN is definitely available on DVD. Given your appreciation for 77 SUNSET STRIP, I think there's a good chance you'll enjoy the GUNN epsiodes. Very stylish and entertaining. And of course there's that incredible Henry Mancini music. I had to chuckle over your comments about HARRY O. Yes, he was a bit ragged around the edges, but that was what he was all about; a decent guy living on the fringe of respectable society, doing what he does best--helping other people. Great show!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you Dewey---I'm going to trip over to Netflix and see if I can rent Peter Gunn. One of the most interesting things I recently learned about the show is that it was inspired by Dick Powell's radio program, "Richard Diamond, P.I." which was later turned into a not so great tv series. Peter Gunn's creator, director Blake Edwards, took the best from Powell's original radio characters and transformed it into this wildly successful show, and of course, began a magnificent collaboration with Mancini.

Can't wait to experience it.

Miss G