PBS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: PBS

Post by movieman1957 »

The War is streaming on Netflix and the tapes are yours if you can use them.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Streaming is good enough for me. I am being slowly shoved out of my own house by my TCM recorded dvd collection as it is, Chris. But I appreciate the offer!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

A heads up for US viewers.

Foyle's War returns to PBS this Sunday. A critic in the Wall Street Journal says this may be the best series yet. Three episodes will comprise this series.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh THANK YOU CHRIS! I would have missed it! :D :D :D :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Glad to be of service.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Is it too early to plant myself in front of the TV??? Michael Kitchen!!!!! Woohoo!!!!! :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Stake out your spot, knitty!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I have even dusted the TV screen!!!! :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Get your most romantic nightie on, open a bottle of wine, and light the candles! You've got a date with Inspector Foyle. :D

sigh. Sounds like heaven. I'll have to hustle my family off to bed early in order to get the TV to myself.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't know how I missed this thread before, and never would have seen it if someone had not commented on Foyles' War the other day. I have been raving on about the different detective series that are on PBS' channels, both Channel 11 and 20 in the Chicago area (WTTW and WYCC). I love all of them from DCI Banks to George Gently, and round to Miss Marple. They're all written with such a good understanding of mystery that if you are a fan of that genre, you will fall in love with all of them as I have. Now, with the special introductory show explaining Foyle's past, and his future during the war, I am looking very much forward to doing exactly what you said, sitting down with a good snack, a hot coffee, and enjoying my Sunday nights.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

I haven't seen any of those you mentioned but I do love British crime drama. In addition to Foyle I've seen all the "Morse," "Lewis," "Lynley," "Wire In The Blood," and am working my way through "Wallender." Some of those you like will be coming soon on my TV.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched "Foyle" last night an enjoyed it. I will say that you have to really pay attention to some of the fringe pieces of information. This is not a typical murder mystery but now Foyle is being called upon to find out if someone is a spy. Being "spy" stuff makes things more complicated.

Michael Kitchen is his usual wonderful self. He can say so much without saying anything. An upturned eyebrow or a twitch of his mouth gives away his thought with an economy that few others have in television. "Sam" is a few years older now and I think at times has a little more maturity show up but still based with her happy-go-lucky charm that we like from her.

Chime in.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I liked the ending better than the 'mystery' part. I just love the way it all tied up, and how now, Sam is back in her old job with Foyle. I can't WAIT to see Foyle and the MI5 lady work together. I've always liked her, despite her ethics being questionable. She and Foyle have a great chemistry. For two people who don't necessarily like each other's operating procedures, I still get the feeling that underneath it all is respect.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

True enough. There was always an uneasy but necessary relationship between Foyle and the "MI lady" but I did get the sense while they were going through the ground rules that there would be somewhat of a softening in their relationship. She was not above admitting the required shortcomings of her side of the ledger knowing that if she wants him in the game there are going to have to be some changes.

I liked the mystery part but I failed to see any real point to the soldier's homecoming and his subsequent attempts at finding a job. Except for the purpose of showing that side of things I would have liked it to had more of a connection to the main story.

When he delivers the line "I'll need a driver" that put a nice little bow on the end of it.

I do think it was a nice idea to do a new version of the theme. It shows we are moving ahead in his story into a new phase.
Chris