YOU Tube'n

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
JackFavell

Re: YOU Tube'n

Post by JackFavell »

Arkadin - I had no idea you were a musician as well! Let us know when your EP is out.

Moira - I didn't remember any of Forever and a Day, though I am quite sure I saw it at one time when I was teen and loved it, since I remembered the title clearly. What a charming movie. It still got me at the end.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Check out ReverbNation:

Thanks. I'll check it out. In addition to your EP is there more of your work there?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Jezebel38

Re: Forever and a Day

Post by Jezebel38 »

moirafinnie wrote:Forever and a Day (1943), a cooperative film made to raise money for war relief is on youtube for only two nights. The movie features just about every British actor you can think of in that period and a few Americans, among them Buster Keaton, Edward Everett Horton, and Kent Smith, who plays an American who learns about the life and traditions in one old house in London. It's lots of fun to spot some favorites in miniscule parts, and even if it doesn't all hang together dramatically, it has its moments, episodically. A favorite pair: Gladys Cooper and Roland Young. Enjoy!
Just finished watching this film - thanks for posting Moira! Gladys Cooper was superb as usual, as was Claude Rains in his turn as the fearsome guardian; but I really enjoyed Charles Laughton in his scenes as the put upon butler!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

He was a riot, Jezebel, wasn't he? I never thought I'd see Buster Keaton and Charles Laughton occupy the same space, not that they had any scenes together. :D

But you know, I loved Elsa Lanchester and Robert Coote the very best. Elsa continues to make me laugh out loud - the more movies I see her in where she thrusts herself at the leading man, the funnier she gets. Now to see her with Keaton would be a dream! I wonder if they ever worked together?

Robert Coote is an actor I am coming to admire more and more. He gave a really interesting performance as the blinded veteran of WWI. I was fascinated by him. He was at once pitiable, and yet there was something irritating in his too loud speech, and his having to have everything described to him all the time. I thought he was pitch perfect, even if he did make one feel uncomfortable.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

JackFavell wrote:Robert Coote is an actor I am coming to admire more and more. He gave a really interesting performance as the blinded veteran of WWI. I was fascinated by him. He was at once pitiable, and yet there was something irritating in his too loud speech, and his having to have everything described to him all the time. I thought he was pitch perfect, even if he did make one feel uncomfortable.
Interesting how one picks up on a character actor; I really became aware of him as Bob in AMOLAD, and now pick up on spotting him in more and more films, only to find that I'd been seeing him in movies all along, only just not knowing - he plays Mr. Coombs the real estate agent in THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR and I've been watching that film for decades!

And get this - I recently discovered he originated the Broadway roles of Colonel Pickering in MY FAIR LADY and King Pellinore in CAMELOT!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's the same for me, Jez. I watched him in Ghost and Mrs. Muir for years, then suddenly figured out he was Aramis in The Three Musketeers. I began to realized he was in a lot more movies than I thought, and he's always a very different character. I think he could do it all, play any type. He's much more diverse than I ever knew.

My dad told me he had a series called The Rogues, in which he shared star billing with Charles Boyer, David Niven, Gladys Cooper, and Gig Young! What a cast!

You know, I used to listen to the musical cast albums from those plays all the time when I was a kid, my parents had them all. I remember his name on them, but never really put together that it was the same guy! Thanks for the info!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I have the vaguest memory of THE ROGUES. I don't think I watched it. Just knew it existed. It seems to exist again. I caught a few minutes on ME TV! That's some channel.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:I have the vaguest memory of THE ROGUES. I don't think I watched it. Just knew it existed. It seems to exist again. I caught a few minutes on ME TV! That's some channel.
Since discovering that Me TV has been added to my cable, I've been recording The Rogues when it is broadcast at around 4am on Sundays with high hopes. When Gladys Cooper, Charles Boyer and Robert Coote are central to the story it's fun even though the writing is a bit tired. Boyer is often paired with very young women, and he looks delighted if a bit mortified to be flirtatiously partnering these untutored if often very pretty youngsters, who are usually dressed in high end '60s fashions that were rarely seen on tv at the time. Cooper is playing the matriarch of this family of con artists and she is quite funny, dressed to the nines whenever she is part of a bluff. Coote is "the master of disguise" son of Cooper, who never gets any girls, but is key to making things work. I don't find the Gig Young or David Niven characters very compelling--Young, who owned a larger portion of the show than the other stars, looks hazy (though that may be me looking at him in retrospect), and the normally delightful Niven looks a bit bored. Like The Man From UNCLE from the same period, the program relies on stock establishing shots to convey the idea that the characters are whisking around the world in those new-fangled jets of the era. I probably would have believed it was very cosmopolitan if I'd seen this as a kid. Now, not so much, though guest stars such as George Sanders, Gia Scala, Leonid Kinsky, Howard Duff, Elsa Martinelli, and Zachary Scott are fun to see as they coast on by collecting an easy payday.

There are thirty episodes in all, but ME TV only seems to have about ten, which they show in heavy rotation. Here's a sample of a Christmas episode I've never seen with the great John McGiver as a guest star. I wish Me Tv would show it:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

movieman1957 wrote:Check out ReverbNation:

Thanks. I'll check it out. In addition to your EP is there more of your work there?
I have nothing on the site at this time, but several friends have used it with good results.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

This first video is a beautifully edited mash-up between the old and the new. I promise you, if you have an open-mind, you will be amazed!!! And since I'm partial to editing...kudoes to the editor.

[youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube]

If you choose to watch this second video, you'll need five minutes of uninterrupted time. Pick some five minutes when you're feeling stressed or a little unhappy as you sit before your computer monitor to shoot the breeze and while away your time. Click onto this YouTube video, and relax and enjoy. The music is one of the most heartbreaking in classical music, and Rita Hayworth's beauty is unparalleled.

How alive and vibrant and talented she was. Ha...it's kind of a testimony to the powers of concentration her dance partners had. Dancing with her?

Kingme does a great job of covering Rita Hayworth in his thread for her. I just wanted to share something separate and apart from that.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

THE BOTTOM YOU TUBE VIDEO ... Was done by a dear FRIEND of MINE ... Thanks for your comments CINEMAVEN.

MY PICTURE OF Rita Hayworth was Used at the 4:44 Mark ... The Lady of Shanghai. Only 1 Picture.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oH MY goodness!!! It was so cute until the end, I think I'm going to cry!!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Isn't it sad? That poor little piggy! And he sang so sweetly.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:Isn't it sad? That poor little piggy! And he sang so sweetly.
I got that you tube in the mail by a friend of mine ... what you said here JF ... is exactly how I felt about it.