YOU Tube'n

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
JackFavell

Re: YOU Tube'n

Post by JackFavell »

I was lucky enough to meet the Nicholas Brothers, Maven - probably the highlight of my classic movie fan-dom. They were INCREDIBLE, still dancing, still doing the splits in their sixties. I was very lucky to meet them, since Fayard retired very shortly after. Harold was absolutely GORGEOUS. He made it an absolutely memorable experience, because of the force of his personality.

As for Rudy, GOOD LORD! Can you imagine meeting him? In swim trunks???? Image
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I hesitated posting this over in the other place 'cuz I thought folks would be even more sick of my exploits out west at TCM's Film Fest...and b'cuz it probably'd sound incredibly untrue.
I wish I could get my friend to find the photograph to prove what I'm about to say. But I did have a dance with Fayard Nicholas. He was up their in age, but he had mercy and didn't do anything fancy with me but a nice two-step. It was at an event in Harlem waaay back in the 80's. I'll try and get my friend to look through his archives and see if he can find that pix. The funny thing is that Walter (my friend) coaxed me to ask Mr. Nicholas for a dance and I hadn't known who he was.

True Story Jaxxxxxon.

As for meeting Valentino.............................. :shock: ................................I...wouldn't...have...survived...his...first...glance...at...me.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That's such a wonderful memory to have, CineMaven.

Did you ever think that having a young beauty ask him to dance may have been a delightful experience for Mr. Nicholas? Having worked in finance around a nursing home for a time, I've found that older ladies and gentlemen often feel invisible and are quite appreciative of the smallest gestures, even though we don't always realize how much it can mean to them. I bet he still cut a mean rug.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

YOU ACTUALLY DANCED WITH HIM???!!!! That's AWESOME, Maven! I cannot believe you met Fayard - he seemed like the nicest man in the world. I hope you can find the pic...but if not I'll still believe you!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I was walking along Hollywood Boulevard near the end of the TCM festival, and walked by a family with a couple of little kids. The little kids were jumping around -- especially the adorable little boy -- and yelling "The Nicholas Brothers!" Just then they reached what I guess was their destination, the Nicholas Brothers star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and the kids (especially that little boy) were nearly jumping out of their skin with excitement. Now that's what I call giving kids the right start in life! ;)

My all-time favorite Nicholas Brothers number probably because Dorothy Dandridge is also in it. ;) I find her absolutely irresistible. I'm always sorry when she exits -- even though that gives the Brothers the opportunity to finally break out big with the fancy steps. :) At least she comes back for the end. :)

[youtube][/youtube]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"That's such a wonderful memory to have, CineMaven. Did you ever think that having a young beauty ask him to dance may have been a delightful experience for Mr. Nicholas?" - << (( MOIRAFINNIE )) >>>

Noooooo man. That never occurred to me. But I see what you mean. He was very gracious. And don't we all hope to survive to be senior citizens one day

"YOU ACTUALLY DANCED WITH HIM???!!!! That's AWESOME, Maven! I cannot believe you met Fayard - he seemed like the nicest man in the world. I hope you can find the pic...but if not I'll still believe you!" - <<< (( JACK FAVELL )) >>>

Next time I speak to Walter, I will ask him if he could please search in his mish-mosh of photos for me with Mr. Nicholas. I didn't really realize who he was or how famous he was until I told my father. To quote my dad: "WHAT?????!!!!!!"

"I was walking along Hollywood Boulevard near the end of the TCM festival, and walked by a family with a couple of little kids. The little kids were jumping around -- especially the adorable little boy -- and yelling "The Nicholas Brothers!" Just then they reached what I guess was their destination, the Nicholas Brothers star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and the kids (especially that little boy) were nearly jumping out of their skin with excitement. Now that's what I call giving kids the right start in life!" ;) - <<< (( PVITARI )) >>>

Hi there. Was the family African-American? B'cuz if they were...you probably saw the Nicholas family. They were sitting in the row behind me, and there was a little girl and a little boy (who was a little whiny during the presentation). I think an announcement was made at the screening of their documentary that the crowd could proceed to the Nicholas Brothers' star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I betcha it was them...if the family were Black.

"My all-time favorite Nicholas Brothers number probably because Dorothy Dandridge is also in it. ;) I find her absolutely irresistible. I'm always sorry when she exits -- even though that gives the Brothers the opportunity to finally break out big with the fancy steps. :) At least she comes back for the end. :)"

That's a great number...but that number from "STORMY WEATHER" and sliding down that bannister...is one for the ages. But that's just my humble opinion. As for Dorothy Dandridge... < ( sigh! ) > she was stunning. Have you ever seen her in "ISLAND IN THE SUN" or in "TAMANGO"??
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
klondike

Post by klondike »

My new favorite commercial ---- which I could find annoying pretty darn fast if they saturate an evening with it

[youtube][/youtube]

Everyone in there's good, but it's the older black woman, & the circle-running little girl, that really slay me!
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

For those of you who enjoy their servings of slapstick comedy in large doses...

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gary - Another beautifully edited and scored masterpiece! I especially loved the buildup of mayhem, step by step....

I hope there are more parts. I'll have to check youtube when I have more time.

I still think that Keaton's train shot in The General was worth every penny. A beautiful 3 part fall.
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

Thanks Jack.

Yes, there are 4 more parts and they are all online.
I originally was going to make a 20-30 minute piece but it just kept growing.
This should help you get there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LowbrowProd ... Ifq-MrBx2I

Keaton becomes a theme throughout for trying to keep slapstick alive since he encompasses
both the silent and sound era and because he worked much more frequently than Chaplin.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

beautiful work, Gary! Thanks for posting it, and the link to the rest.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CAROL BURNETT SHOW MEDLEY

[youtube][/youtube]

This is one cool Carol Burnett Show Medley of Hollywood Stars of Yesteryear's ... Bing Crosby, Lucille Ball, Jim Nabors, and my dear Rita Hayworth (she's at the 3:10 clip) ... and Ray Charles and others.

This is one fabulous Carol Burnett You Tube Clip ... its under 7 minutes long; I missed this this show and I consider this one of the greatest variety show of all time! I attended one taping in 1977 of which she had Dick Van Dyke on the show. I got this in my in-box this morning from a dear collector friend of mine and decided to re-launch the You Tube Thread instead of posting this on my Rita Hayworth Love Goddess thread. Enjoy this ... this is fantastic!

The Carol Burnett Show is a variety / sketch comedy television show starring Carol Burnett, Harvey Korman, Vicki Lawrence, Lyle Waggoner, and Tim Conway. It originally ran on CBS from September 11, 1967 to March 29, 1978 for 278 episodes, and originated from CBS Television City's Studio 33 (known today as the Bob Barker Studio)

From Wiki - the above in blue
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Most Expensive Diamonds in the World

[youtube][/youtube]

This is one neat You Tube Clip ... got this in my in-box today and I thought I would share it with all of you here today.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

beautiful jewels, KM! Thanks for sharing
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

The television western as seen through the eyes of Ernie Kovacs:
[youtube][/youtube]
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS