Wagon Train on the Encore Western Channel

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

Re: Wagon Train on the Encore Western Channel

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:I really can't feel as fond of John McIntire as I do of Scott and Bond. Sorry, Klon. He's a good character actor, but I prefer him in film noirs.

Wagon Train is showing The Major Adams Story Part I today. It begins with Ward Bond unexpectedly meeting a woman (Virginia Grey) he had been in love with prior to the Civil War. As fast as you can say "cue the harp music and the wavy camera lens," we have a flashback within a flashback to the early days of the war when Ward Bond (with shoe polish dark hair and mustache as black as a raven's wing, which makes him look like a used car salesman) enlists in the Union Army, to the disgust of his best gal (Grey, looking terribly thin but pretty). I think this epi and the second part, which should be on Monday if this is being shown in order to look fairly entertaining and downright romantic since we have voice overs of both Ward Bond and Virginia Grey thinking how much they love one another. My stars! I never thought of Maj. Adams as having a private life! (Besides, I thought that he and Charlie Wooster [Frank McGrath] were sort of a chaste if testy couple, anyway.)

I hope Miss G. or someone else caught this show.

PART ONE?! Thank GOODNESS you told me that (I missed it in the credits) because I was about to throw my snow boot at the TV when it ended!!! I said "Oh no you don't! You can't leave me hanging with a lame ending like that! What happened to Ranie (Virginia Grey)?!!!" Whew! I'm relieved to know that there will be a second part.

we have a flashback within a flashback to the early days of the war when Ward Bond (with shoe polish dark hair and mustache as black as a raven's wing, which makes him look like a used car salesman)

oooooooh Moira thou art cruuuuuuuel....but hilarious! :lol: Poor Wardy! The first time he gets to have a real love story and he had to wait to have his own TV show to do it. Or am I overlooking a movie? I know he had a delightful flirtation with Edna Mae Oliver in Drums Along the Mohawk, but I can't think of a single movie where he really had a "romance". And lovely Virginia. Always so sad. And much too thin. It made her look pining.

I must confess Frank McGrath made me laugh a few times. "I was a cooook."
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:
we have a flashback within a flashback to the early days of the war when Ward Bond (with shoe polish dark hair and mustache as black as a raven's wing, which makes him look like a used car salesman)
oooooooh Moira thou art cruuuuuuuel....but hilarious! :lol: Poor Wardy! The first time he gets to have a real love story and he had to wait to have his own TV show to do it. Or am I overlooking a movie? I know he had a delightful flirtation with Edna Mae Oliver in Drums Along the Mohawk, but I can't think of a single movie where he really had a "romance". And lovely Virginia. Always so sad. And much too thin. It made her look pining.
On a positive note, I do think that the dark hair made Ward Bond look more like a more weathered Clark Gable--or how I'd imagine Gable might look if he'd been left out in the rain for a few years. I thought that the tender scenes between Rainie (Virginia Grey) and the Major (Bond) when they were supposed to be their characters' actual ages were fraught with emotion and far more effective than the flashbacks. I am hoping that Part 2 will not have more of the Civil War bit.

Did you think that there was more than a touch of Rio Grande (star-crossed lovers separated by loyalties to something bigger than themselves) and Wings of Eagles (Ward Bond refusing to have his legs cut off and then recovering thanks to stubbornness and best buds)?
MissGoddess wrote:I must confess Frank McGrath made me laugh a few times. "I was a cooook."
His "wet hen" routine always makes me laugh, even when he is being annoying. I liked that line about the "cooook" too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It's killing me but I'm waiting to watch Part 1 on Monday. Every time I pass it on my ' recorded ' listing, I shudder, but I'm holding on.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I agree, the later day part of the love story was the best part---and the civil war parts went on too long. They did seem taken from the cavalry films and Wings of Eagles. I guess Wardy was going to get all his "big scenes" in finally. :D
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Part two made me cry! I knew what was coming, but the dialogue was really beautiful I must say.

I like that the Major stops by to "visit" Rainie every time the wagon train passes through there.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Part two made me cry! I knew what was coming, but the dialogue was really beautiful I must say.

I like that the Major stops by to "visit" Rainie every time the wagon train passes through there.
Oh, my, that is so true. It was beautifully acted by both Ward Bond and Virginia Grey. Did you notice that this episode was directed by actor Mark Stevens (The Dark Corner, The Street With No Name), who also showed up as a guest star on the show during its run? No wonder the acting was exceptionally good. One actor might understand and draw out what another could bring to a role. I found out that Wagon Train is among the program streaming on Netflix, so it is available to be seen again. I was so impressed with the eloquence that Ward Bond gave the simple words in the script, several of which were very affecting. Here's the exchange that sent me hunting for my hankie, after Ranie, realizing she is dying and crying out for Seth, sends her brother in law to fetch Seth:

Rainie: "Seth, tell me about us. Tell me about California."

Seth: "You've never seen anything like it. It's fresh and clean and there's strength in the air you breathe. We'll build us a house, Ranie. A good house, facing the west. When you walk outside in the morning, there'll be the ocean, blue as far as you can see. And all you have to do is look back over your shoulder. There's a land of mountains as high as you can see. They're beautiful mountains. They'll keep you warm and safe. I once heard a man say it was like the Lord created it for the sabbath alone. That's only half true, Ranie. He created it for people too, people like you and me. There's no better place in the world, Ranie. No better place, Ranie, except where you are now, in the arms of Almighty God."
"Lord take care of her. Give her at least a part of the happiness she's given me. For when you love someone as I love Ranie, they remain a part of you no matter where they are or what they do."

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

<GASP!> <SOB>

Oh Moira thank you for posting just the very scene and words that had me with tears streaming down my face Monday evening...and again now. I didn't know Netflix had it for streaming, that's good to know because lately I've been on the verge several times of cancelling my subscription (need to tighten the belt!). This makes me hold off on that a while longer.

Nor did I know Mark Stevens directed. I believe (I may be mistaken) that he was in the very excellent episode playing a man who during the civil war became a pacifist and was getting a lot of grief from the rest of the wagon train (except of course from the Major) about it and for helping an elderly Native American left behind by his war party. Joann Dru was the leading actress who was also puzzled by his stance, particularly as she saw her family massacred. It's one of my favorite episodes (among many). Stevens seems to have been a sensitive artist.

Thank you and thank you again, me lady.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:<GASP!> <SOB>

Oh Moira thank you for posting just the very scene and words that had me with tears streaming down my face Monday evening...and again now. I didn't know Netflix had it for streaming, that's good to know because lately I've been on the verge several times of cancelling my subscription (need to tighten the belt!). This makes me hold off on that a while longer.
I've been on the fence about Netflix too, but the material showing up as streaming online is quite enticing. I have relatively few vices, daggnabbit, so my big indulgence is hunting down old movies. For the moment, I can still justify keeping my subscription to this service.

I am glad that you thought those sequences worth reproducing, Miss G. They were so well acted.
MissGoddess wrote:Nor did I know Mark Stevens directed. I believe (I may be mistaken) that he was in the very excellent episode playing a man who during the civil war became a pacifist and was getting a lot of grief from the rest of the wagon train (except of course from the Major) about it and for helping an elderly Native American left behind by his war party. Joann Dru was the leading actress who was also puzzled by his stance, particularly as she saw her family massacred. It's one of my favorite episodes (among many). Stevens seems to have been a sensitive artist.

Thanks for reminding me of that episode. I thought it was interesting that Stevens' character had thought things through so carefully after his earlier experiences. I can't say every episode I've seen is a gem, (one with MacDonald Carey in a very bad Indian wig comes to mind as negligible) but some are very well written and acted. I think that The Major Adams Story was the best one so far.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moira, is that joan bennett in Man Hunt in your Avatar?
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:moira, is that joan bennett in Man Hunt in your Avatar?
yes, but the bad guys are about to catch up with her. one of them in a bowler is running toward her in the background as she waves wistfully to Walter Pidgeon's departing subway car. :wink:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:
MissGoddess wrote:moira, is that joan bennett in Man Hunt in your Avatar?

yes, but the bad guys are about to catch up with her. one of them in a bowler is running toward her in the background as she waves wistfully to Walter Pidgeon's departing subway car. :wink:

I love her character, "Jerri", in that movie. Poor little muffin. Doesn't the farewell scene between her and Walter Pidgeon on the bridge remind you of Waterloo Bridge? She's even dressed like Myra (Vivien), with the trench and beret.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Marjorie Main rides the range and she's loaded for bear!
The Cassie Tanner Story is scheduled for Wagon Train this afternoon, Feb 21st. This episode is directed by Mark Stevens again, so perhaps it will be well done. Ward Bond apparently has to fight off Marjorie Main in this episode, after she decides Seth is hubby material! This should be good, huh? George Chandler also shows up in this one. The synopsis: "A tough-as-nails single woman is saved from an Indian attack - and it's love at first sight when she meets the Major! With Marjorie Main. USA - 1957"

Apparently this was the start of recurring roles for both Chandler and Marjorie Main. MM would return as Cassie Tanner a few episodes later in the first season finale The Sacramento Story. The latter epi is on this Thursday,Feb. 24th. The synopsis for that episode: "At trail's end in Sacramento, a man discovers the fertile land he bought is actually a swamp - can he get restitution? With Dan Duryea, Marjorie Main. USA - 1957"

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If I were a bear I wouldn't want to mess with her.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh my goodness, delightful! It reminded me of Wardy and Edna Mae in Drums. I loved it when they arrived at that outpost and that little old geezer called her "Missy" and told her he was waiting for her. :D :D :D
I love when Marjorie flirts with the men. Some of her best moments were with Gary Cooper in Friendly Persuasion and Clark Gable in Honky Tonk. Not a bad selection of leading men Miss Main enjoyed. :)

Was she ever on an epi of "Have Gun, Will Travel"? That would be something to see her with Richard Boone.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Her appearances on Wagon Train were the only television Marjorie Main ever did, according to IMDb. I do remember reading an interview with her once when she said that the speed and pressure of doing tv was not to her liking in any way, (and it didn't do Ward Bond's health any good either). Marjorie Main was 68 when she did those episodes, but you know something? I don't think she'd really changed all that much physically in about 25 years of screen appearances. I am looking forward to that Thursday episode a lot too.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks