Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
RedRiver

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Post by RedRiver »

I'm sure this TV show has been discussed before. But I wouldn't mind some feedback. Somebody has offered to lend me some DVDs, but I'm not going to watch all of them. Are the early episodes considered the best? That's almost always the case with TV. How many seasons were half an hour, and how many in the longer format?

I'm not flat-out unfamiliar with the series. I've probably seen twenty or so episodes. But I bet some of you have strong and informed opinions. I'd like to hear them!
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I've always liked Breakdown:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

If you've seen twenty-odd episodes hyou should have a good handle on what to expect. I think the show actually may have peaked around the third season, although it started off just about perfect. They're like mini-movies, really, the plots are developed so well and often with the kind of suspense and surprises you come to expect with Hitch.

I may be wrong, but I feel like I can tell which one was directed by Hitch himself before I see his name in the credits.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

To tell the truth, I always liked Boris Karloff's THRILLER.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I love AHP. I own the first four seasons on DVD and season 5 has just been announced to be released early next year.

Season five contains one of the best episodes - and one you won't be able to believe passed the censors in the late 1950s - "Specialty of the House," with Robert Morley.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I have the complete first season at my side at this moment! I'm excited. How many seasons were half hour episodes? Which format do you prefer?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I believe the half hour format went for seven seasons, starting in 1955; "The Alfred Hitchcock" for three.

I've only seen a couple of the hour long show and they were quite good. I'm not sure if they were up the shorter series in its prime.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Mr. Arkadin,

I watched "Breakdown" last night. It's by far, the best I've seen so far. Macabre poetry! The word for this series is IRONY. My mom used to tell us about this episode when we were real little kids. She'd describe the situation. The terror. Then she'd relate the solution! I get the feeling I've seen this story in another show. Did Hitchcock repeat the concept? I might have seen this one before. But it didn't look familiar. Great stuff!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

RedRiver wrote:Mr. Arkadin,

I watched "Breakdown" last night. It's by far, the best I've seen so far. Macabre poetry! The word for this series is IRONY. My mom used to tell us about this episode when we were real little kids. She'd describe the situation. The terror. Then she'd relate the solution! I get the feeling I've seen this story in another show. Did Hitchcock repeat the concept? I might have seen this one before. But it didn't look familiar. Great stuff!
I don't know that Hitch repeated it, but he often used short stories from pulp novel writers. Aldo Lado was obviously influenced by this story in making the Italian Giallo Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971), which begins with the protagonist in a paralyzed, lifeless state (although he is still alive) and then jumps into flashback as he tries to remember what led to his condition (cue to Sunset Blvd. [1950]).

[youtube][/youtube]
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It certainly has a Cornell Woolrich feel to it. If there was a short story, I might have encountered it.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I watched one that WAS based on a Woolrich story. "The Big Switch," I believe. Gangsters, a plan to bump off a two timing dame. An ironic ending, naturally. Also watched one that was Bradbury inspired. Different, but not too good.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I also like the Roald Dahl adaptations. I like Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat (which so many seem to dislike, for some reason), which unfortunately won't be released until Season 6 is made available, but I think this one may have been on YouTube at one time.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm delighted to hear that Season 5 will finally be released. There are several episodes from that year I've always wanted to see, particularly "Special Delivery," from a Ray Bradbury short story.

Speaking of Bradbury, one of his more unusual stories, "And So Died Riabouchinska," really impressed me in Season One. It had Claude Rains and Charles Bronson. Rains was chilling.

"The Glass Eye" from Season Three is one of the most famous episodes. It really packs a punch. "The Waxwork" is another very good episode.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wonderful! I'm still watching Season One. I look forward to the great Claude Rains.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

While I generally agree that some of the best Alfred Hitchcock Presents programs were the half hour ones, perhaps others would enjoy the very well written, directed and acted hour long versions, which at present are being shown on the Encore Suspense channel at 11pm EST each week night.

They are currently featuring the first season of hour long stories from 1962. I was bowled over by a recent program called "Don't Look Behind You" with Vera Miles (looking more beautiful than I've ever seen her) with Jeffrey Hunter in a story about an academic community torn apart by a stalker. Very well played! Another emotional roller coaster was "Night of the Owl" with Brian Keith as a man trying to defend his adopted daughter from blackmailers. It built such suspense and tension, I was quite moved at the end of the story. You can see the upcoming week's worth of shows at this link. The second hyperlink shows the full Encore Suspense schedule :

Alfred Hitchcock Hour on Encore Presents for the coming week

The full Encore Suspense schedule
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks