Me-TV

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
RedRiver

Re: Me-TV

Post by RedRiver »

I never heard of an earlier version of I SPY, Red. Tell me more?

I assure you, I didn't remember ANY of this, Moira. I had to look it up! Courtesy of Ask.com:

I Spy is an American television series created by Edward J. Montagne and Phil Reisman Jr. and made by Rean Productions, Inc. and Guild Films. It ran from 1955-1956 for a total of 39 episodes and starred Raymond Massey as Anton, the Spymaster.

Raymond Massey?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It was amazing how many actors decided to hop on the tv juggernaut once it became clear what an impact it was going to have on all other media. It sounds as though Massey hoped it might give him some steady income...though he'd have to wait until Dr. Kildare to be in a clear cut hit on the tube. Have you ever seen Michael Rennie's series The Third Man that was distributed independently worldwide from '59-'65? Apparently he played a nice guy version of Harry Lime who worked as a Mr. Fixit all over the planet...for a fee. No adulterated penicillin-selling or substituted dead guys for Rennie's Lime, however, but he did deal in fine art while solving crimes.

I hadn't heard of this one until I found a couple of episodes on youtube. One possible drawback: Before he hit his stride in Lost in Space, so to speak, Jonathan Harris was in most episodes, hamming it up as usual.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Don't remember THE THIRD MAN. Believe it or not, I didn't watch the Kildare show. (We were a BEN CASEY family). Did Massey play Dr. Gillespie?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Yup. Massey was good too. Not a curmudgeon like Lionel, of course, but a sophisticated medico with a paternal interest in Kildare and the advancement of medicine.

I loved Dr. Zorba on Ben Casey, though I was scared of Vince Edwards.
Zorba, the great Sam Jaffe, squares off with Chester Morris in this scene:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

For those of us who relish The Fugitive on ME-TV, this brilliant alternative ending to the series is a must-read! If you haven't seen the entire series, you may not get as much fun out of seeing this, and would probably be better off waiting until you have seen the last episodes before reading it. For the rest of us, this is very funny (and plausible):
http://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2 ... as-guilty/

The same author has written a real appreciation of this landmark series at the A/V Club:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-fugi ... el,102733/

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In a few weeks, I think we'll see the real ending. Sunday Night Noir has been running last season episodes for a while now. We must be getting close!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:In a few weeks, I think we'll see the real ending. Sunday Night Noir has been running last season episodes for a while now. We must be getting close!
That must be why David Janssen looks genuinely exhausted in those recent epis. For those who don't have access to Me-TV but are curious about the power of this fifty year old show to draw many people into its story, you can see most (but not all) of the programs on youtube, and a big (pricey) DVD boxed set of the complete series is also available here.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Great episode of THE FUGITIVE last night! "The Nun Episode" is a favorite among fans. Eileen Heckart as a sister at a spiritual, and literal, cross-roads. I didn't know there was a "Return of the Nun"! This time she's dying. But she's not too weak to help a friend in need. This is a soft, sensitive story; spiritual without preaching. The audience need only keep an open mind. In its gentle, unimposing way, this is superior storytelling, and some of the finest TV drama I've ever seen.

And there's a one-armed man just around the corner! We know where you are. We're coming for you. Fans who have this eclectic TV channel will want to tune in the next few weeks. The lonely freight train we see so many shots of is slowing to a halt!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i feel so frustrated that i never remember to record these...i will have to eventually rent them all.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I love the b & w nun's story with the nun (Eileen Heckart) and Kimble in a rickety car trying to get over the mountains. This late entry did have great moments. The best moments were those when Janssen looks so skeptical about her spiritual beliefs. He seemed to soften a bit when he had to say goodbye to her. I think the later episode with Gilbert Roland as a worried, old-fashioned father might be coming up soon. I think you'd like that one, April.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Gilbertito is in one of these?!
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Actually Gilbert Roland is in two Fugitive episodes.

Somebody To Remember from the first season, found here.

The Savage Street from the fourth season, found here.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

thank you, moira, i look forward (always) to seeing him.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Somebody to Remember is awfully good. My favorite episode of The Fugitive is the one with John McGiver and John Fiedler as fussy housemates who are divided about whether to turn Kimble in or let him go free.

I know I'm late to this thread, but did someone say they are running episodes of The Millionaire on Me-TV? Or was that just a one shot deal that I missed?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

"The Millionaire" turned up twice on Me-TV that I know of, but that was when they were doing those "Sunday Showcase" blocks. Now that Sundays have dedicated programming, I'm not sure when or how they will feature shows like that. The good news is they seem to modify their line-up every few months.
-- Will Rogers