The Asphalt Jungle

ken123

The Asphalt Jungle

Post by ken123 »

Directed by John Huston is a classic Heist film with stromg performances by Sterling Hayden, Jean Hagan, Louis Calhern, James Whitmore, Marc Lawrence, and Sam Jaffe as the masterming. Marilyn Monroe is Calhern's mistress. Great score by Miklos Rozsa. An odd type of film for MGM to have released. :wink:
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ayres,
Love your review. :wink:
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Thanks, kind sir!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Review

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Great review, Chris. I enjoyed how you tied in the history of its creation as well.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

That was a great review indeed.

I am not a fan of that film (because I don't like Sterling Hayden's acting in it), but you made me want to see it again. Well done! 8)
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Thanks so much, folks. You really made my day.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I finally got to see this film last night. Ayres, I read your review before I watched it and it was very nice to have your notes as I watched. BTW, the comment you refer to by Huston is included in this DVD as an intro.

Very good performances all around. I was struck by how far they went into detail in the preparation and execution of the crime. Sam Jaffe was quite good. I wondered why anyone of his (perceived) intelligence would decide to get caught up in a bunch that seemed beneath him. However, no sooner than the heist in over they realize that getting rid of the goods is no easy task. Then why didn't they pick something else? The chase for each of them was interesting and the bad guys were sometimes tripped up by their own little quirks.

Rosza's score is even more sparse then perceived. There can't be more than 8 or 10 mintues of music but it's fine music.

As stated before this is a very un-MGM film. It doesn't look like MGM or feel like MGM but it's a fine film.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Very perceptive review, Chris. This movie works on so many levels, and you gave us some insight into all of them.

I think MM is lovely in this film, and she gave many sensitive and appealing performances in her earlier movies that show that she could have given us even greater emotional depth with the right scripts and directors.

For me, though Calhern was the standout. I agree completely with what you say -- the character is selfish and amoral, and yet he is not entirely reprehensible. There are indications that under other circumstance this man would have been a pillar of the community type. His scenes with his invalid wife, and with MM, are very gentle and ring true - there is a courageous and loving man under all that corruption. It's really quite a remarkably drawn character (and performance) that should be better known that it is.