Gloria Grahame - In A Lonely Place

ken123

Gloria Grahame - In A Lonely Place

Post by ken123 »

Ms Grahame attracted alot of attention on the Sexy Dames Thread. In a Lonely Place she co -stars with Bogie,directed by Noir veteran Nickolas Ray, who was also her husband, but the less said about that marriage the better. :wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My favorite part of the film is when she's brought in for questioning and picks up the coffee cup.

I thought it was great that we actually got a shot of the inside of the cup. "Sorry, no more coffee."
vallo

Post by vallo »

Always liked Grahame, Just resently watched "Sudden Fear" with Grahame, Joan Crawford and Jack Palance. Thought she never showed her true potential. She kind of faded out in the late 50's. Maybe it was due to the Nicholas Ray marriage. Why she would put cotton in her mouth to make her lips fuller is beyond me.
Personal Quote:
"It wasn't the way I looked at a man, it was the thought behind it."

vallo
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

SHolmes wrote:Gloria stole my heart many years ago when I first saw her in a movie. And I've always loved her since. I know she made at least two westerns. One with Chuck Connors and the other one I can't remember now who co-starred with her. I've been trying to locate a copy of the other one (ROUGHSHOD) but have not found anyone who has it. So if any of you know where I might obtain one, please let me know.

Thank you.
I am looking for Roughshod as well. I have not personally seen this film, but heard lots of good things about it. Have you seen it?
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

vallo wrote:Why she would put cotton in her mouth to make her lips fuller is beyond me.
Apparently someone once told her that her upper lip was too flat, thus beginning a lifetime of cotton stuffing. I'm not sure if anyone else watched it, but Gloria had a small, supporting role in Chilly Scenes of Winter (1979). TCM showed it last week and I watched it specifically for her. I'm not sure if it's because of all the plastic surgery she had on her mouth, but her upper lip was absolutely flat as a pancake.

Anyways, it always seemed silly to me, because I think she's a fantastic actress. She really caught my attention in Oklahoma! as Ado Annie and ever since, I've been trying to see a lot of her films. She was fantastic in both films she did with Glenn Ford (The Big Heat and Human Desire) as well as her small role in The Man Who Never Was with Clifton Webb. And of course, she's fantastic in In a Lonely Place. She's perfect in that role.

There's something about her that makes me think she's an acquired taste though. I think's she's over the top sexy while being a bit little girl-ish, all rolled into one. [/i]
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies