AFI Best Mysteries

MikeBSG

AFI Best Mysteries

Post by MikeBSG »

The AFI has come up with a list of 10 best mysteries.

1) Vertigo
2) Chinatown
3) Rear Window
4) Laura
5) The Third Man
6) The Maltese Falcon
7) North by Northwest
8) Blue Velvet
9) Dial M for Murder
10) The Usual Suspects
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This is an interesting topic. Some mysteries you know the solution before the characters do, and others surprise you at the end (if well done). If I had to name ten of my own choice, here is what I come up with off the top of my noodle:

1. Rear Window
2. Vertigo
3. The Lady Vanishes
4. Laura
5. Rebecca
6. The Spiral Staircase
7. After the Thin Man
8. The Third Man (not a favorite really, but the mysteriousness of Harry Lime and what he did is superbly presented)
9. And Then There Were None (1945)
10. The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
klondike

Post by klondike »

I find it hard to consider North By Northwest (a film I greatly enjoy & admire) a mystery.
I mean, come on: in the first 20 minutes, you have a fairly solid idea exactly who the bad guys are, and pretty much everything they're up to; by the 40-minute mark you've watched nearly every single detail of the hero's frame-up; one hour in, and your step-by-step with the heavies & misguided badges in pursuit, and as the "last reel" begins, we're surveilling the criminal genuis' secret hideout, while eavesdropping their final escape plans, and the obligatory bragging over the completion of their whole nefarious plan. Hey, the Andy Hardy flicks have more red herrings in their plots than this one did!
Suspense? Certainly, and supremely so - virtually a textbook example of suspense done brilliantly.
But mystery? Only if you're wondering how Cary can crawl around in luggage compartments and still come out looking so infernally good!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Following you makes it so easy Miss G. You have a terrific list. the only thing I would change is #10. I would put 1987's Suspect with Cher and Denis Quaid in there. I didn't figure the killer until she attacked him verbally in court. I was totally surprised.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

It's nice to know that there's someone else who liked "Suspect." I liked it when I saw it back in 1987, but I've never heard a good word about it from anyone else till now.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I just watched it again last week. I think everyone in it is good. Dennis Quaid and Liam Neeson are perfect in their parts. I had a little trouble with John Mahoney, but only because I watched "Frasier" for years....

Mike, in other words, I like it too!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard