Once a Thief (1965)

Mr. Arkadin

Once a Thief (1965)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A boring heist movie, Ralph Nelson’s Once a Thief would never make anyone’s top twenty list of great crime films, yet it boasts incredible actors with compelling performances.

Alain Delon and Ann Margret might seem an odd romantic pairing, but they have great chemistry. Delon endues Eddie Pedak, a small time hood on the straight and narrow, with a frustrated indignation that resembles Henry Fonda’s Eddie Taylor in You Only Live Once (1937). Old timers Van Heflin and Jack Palance are out of place on paper, but a seamless fit as modern versions of Javert and Mephistopheles. As for Ann Margret, I consider this possibly her best performance in a dramatic role.

Nelson works some great visual magic, particularly in the film’s opening, featuring some interesting nightclub shots and explosive Jazz drumming. However, bad execution and a predictable plot, render Once a Thief a poor man’s Rififi (1955), with little interest in the actual robbery, which is easily the dullest part of the film. The result is an interesting failure, not worthy of critical acclaim, but enjoyable viewing.

A few scenes from the film. WARNING: This clip does show part of the ending, but you've probably figured it out anyway, so you might as well watch:

[youtube][/youtube]

Once a Thief plays early on 4/27.
ChiO

Re: Once a Thief (1965)

Post by ChiO »

Caught it yesterday. I'd give it a "star" or "star-and-a-half" more than you. I do agree that the heist itself is the least interesting section of the movie, but it is also a very small portion of the movie. It would appear that the heist is director Ralph Nelson's MacGuffin. The real film is a character study, and Delon, Palance and Heflin are a joy to watch inside those characters.

The opening was visually and aurally interesting -- had Nelson just completed Godard 101? -- but what was fascinating was that after that opening the New Wave flourishes vanished and we had a classic late-'50s, early-'60s crime noir look. And, I love Lalo Schifrin, but does anyone scream "swingin' '60s movie music" more? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Then, speaking of thieves, a couple of hours later I watched DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL (Charles Martin, 1956). What a grand reminder of the connection between melodrama and film noir. As one of my old video guides put it: If anyone could portray a suave, debonair, conniving, ruthlessly charming, amoral, despicable, notorious, manipulating cad, it was George Sanders.

Let me hear an "Amen!"
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

How about "amen" AND "WOOOOOO-HOOOOO!" George pushes all the buttons for me, and the description you quoted is perfect. Those bad boys get me every time.....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I adored Death of a Scoundrel right from those super opening credits that made me laugh out loud.

Obviously, I am a BIG George Sanders fan, but I think he did some brilliant acting in this film. I'm glad he had a role where he was allowed to play to his strengths - every emotion in the book was flawlessly portrayed. Highlights for me would include the moment where we watch him turn it on, pleading with Zina for his life, pretending despair at his actions (fascinating that he dispatched Tom Conway so quickly in the film), and then the parallel moment at the end, pleading with his mother to forgive him. I mean, the tears were standing in his eyes!

Poor Georgie. I really believe he was a great actor. And this movie showed it. It's a bravura performance.

Watching George and Zsa Zsa together, I couldn't really see them as a married couple, try as I might. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall for some of their conversations, though!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ChiO wrote:Caught it yesterday. I'd give it a "star" or "star-and-a-half" more than you. I do agree that the heist itself is the least interesting section of the movie, but it is also a very small portion of the movie. It would appear that the heist is director Ralph Nelson's MacGuffin. The real film is a character study, and Delon, Palance and Heflin are a joy to watch inside those characters.
Whenever a movie has obvious flaws, I try and make them apparent to viewers, so they know what they're getting into when they invest their time in a film. I'd rather downgrade a bit than overpraise a movie, simply because many reviews or postings build expectations that can never be met. I enjoy the movie for the very reasons you stated--complex characters, with great actors playing them (Palance needs to work on his accent though).
ChiO wrote:The opening was visually and aurally interesting -- had Nelson just completed Godard 101? -- but what was fascinating was that after that opening the New Wave flourishes vanished and we had a classic late-'50s, early-'60s crime noir look. And, I love Lalo Schifrin, but does anyone scream "swingin' '60s movie music" more? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Those touches look like they were afterthoughts of a director trying to stay current. The music as you suggested, many times struck the wrong note. :wink: The opening shots and dialogue along with the murder were gripping, but then all that ambiance and stylization disappears! Nevertheless, Once a Thief remains an interesting work for what it is and what it could have been.
ChiO wrote:Then, speaking of thieves, a couple of hours later I watched DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL (Charles Martin, 1956). What a grand reminder of the connection between melodrama and film noir. As one of my old video guides put it: If anyone could portray a suave, debonair, conniving, ruthlessly charming, amoral, despicable, notorious, manipulating cad, it was George Sanders.

Let me hear an "Amen!"
Sanders is one of my favorite actors. The man was a genius and not just in the acting field. Sadly, many people who have natural ability, find that ability boring, which was probably his downfall. It also didn't help that he was typecast early on and very few films tapped the full extent of his range.

I almost forgot:
Amen!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Both these films sound enjoyable. I've seen neither. Mr. George Sanders was not merely a good actor. He was a subtle, complex, precise artist who, to my knowledge, was never less than brilliant. Okay, there's probably a mis-fire out there somewhere. But I can't think of one. I'd love to see DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL. As I'm in the library now, I'll see if they have it!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think you'll enjoy it Red. It's a very well directed, small, tight, almost black-comic film, that turns serious when it needs to be.

It strikes me very much like a Lewton production, it's a kind of simple, weird morality tale for modern times, European in flavor, with the hand of fate looming ever closer as Sanders rises in the world of the rich and famous - but it takes the side of Sanders' devious schemer! The themes are quite modern and appropriate for today's world of high powered pyramid schemes gone wrong. It plays to all Sanders' strengths, and gives him a real character to play. A gem.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! I forgot to check at the library. I have a feeling they don't have it.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Both are OOP, but usually show on TCM once a year.