Noir City Visits Chicago

ChiO

Re: Noir City Visits Chicago

Post by ChiO »

CM wrote:
But good god man, I need dates. Dates!!!
Sorry. I'm married (not that I'm sorry about that). But I know some guys who....

Oh. Did you mean calendar dates? August 17-23. What is when will follow when known. But I'm betting my first pairing is on the 17th and the last is on the 23rd, and the in-betweens are in order.
RR wrote:
oh, what's the name of that northside baseball team?
That would be The Chicago "Padres Sweepers" Cubs. Oh, the season is turning around now. I can feel it. We'll be Top Shelve/In 2012!!!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[color=#400080]ChiO[/color] wrote:
CM wrote:
But good god man, I need dates. Dates!!!
Sorry. I'm married (not that I'm sorry about that). But I know some guys who....

Oh. Did you mean calendar dates? August 17-23. What is when will follow when known. But I'm betting my first pairing is on the 17th and the last is on the 23rd, and the in-betweens are in order.

D'ohhhhhhh! Aaaaah, almost tricked me. When you know what films will play what calendar dates, please let me know them. Is there a Holiday Inn near the movie theatre?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm betting my first pairing is on the 17th

You never forget your first pairing.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Oh, CineMaven...You want dates? I got dates (and maybe a fig or two): http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/collecti ... -chicago-4
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]ChiO[/u] wrote:Oh, CineMaven...You want dates? I got dates (and maybe a fig or two): http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/collecti ... -chicago-4
WHA'????!!!!

Okay, let me take it easy...no one likes an excitable movie maven. Uhhhmmmmm, may I ask you three questions, ChiO:

( * ) Is there a hotel near the Music Box like a Holiday Inn or Days Inn? You know, something that won't cost me an arm and a leg and my figleaf...

( * ) WHAT is there TO DO in Chicago in-between screenings...say before the 5:30pm screenings???

( * ) How far is the theatre from your railroad...Union Station?

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Dear CM,

A PM is waiting.

ChiO

P.S. I forgot to mention in the PM that the Music Box is not too far from Heaven aka Wrigley Field. So, if you have any Mets or White Sox gear, just leave it at home. This has been a public service announcement.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

WHAT is there TO DO in Chicago

Only a New Yorker would ask that question! What ISN'T there to do in Chicago?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

That's right...a New Yorker, Baby!!! So okay Red River...what IS there to do in Chicago? Taking your recommendations.

ChiO, I'll answer your PM later.

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

RR,

Don't forget the fillin' station at Cortland/Elston where we sit sippin' pop and playin' checkers all day (when we're not fishin' in the nearby Chicagah River) waitin' fer Barn and Andj to finish makin' their rounds. Also --

Some of the daytime stuff: Art Institute of Chicago (one of the world's finest art museums, especially its collection of Impressionists); the Field Museum of Natural History, the Museum of Science and Industry, Navy Pier (not my cup of tea, but it is Illinois' top tourist attraction), the lakefront, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Contemporary Art, Lincoln Park Zoo, the lakefront, the Magnificent Mile, the architecture (as home to Frank Lloyd Wright, Adler & Sullivan, Daniel Burnham, Mies van der Rohe, Stanley Tigerman, Harry Weese, Helmet Jahn, Bertrand Goldberg, et al., the city with more outstanding works of modern architecture than any other -- several architectural tours, each with a different focus, are available), the lakefront, Millennium Park (with gardens, a Frank Gehry bandshell & more), and, of course, THE LAKEFRONT (trust me -- far more awe inspiring, and people friendly, than the East River or the Hudson or SF Bay. We are the Middle Coast.).

There's more, but I'll have to spend more time working on an itinerary that focuses on your interests.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

T, just the Museum of Science and Industry is worth the trip! There was (20 years ago) a captured Nazi Submarine you can literally crawl thru, modern space exhibits, a train, a coal mine, and my very, very favorite, the Colleen Moore Fairy Castle We are talking HUGE, with cut jade tiles for the ballroom floor, running water, Santa Claus landing on the roof,murals painted by Walt Disney, ....at least one day's ( if not more) visit to try and take in all the things to see.

Just looked it up, here:http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/ex ... irycastle/

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Every year they asked us where we wanted to go for our class trip. Every year it was unanimous - The Museum of Science and Industry.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Owen, Nancy & Wendy...thank you for those suggestions. Going to consider. Thank you.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Thanks for including a FORMER Chicagoan! I'll respond when I have more time.

Like hot dogs?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Excellent point, RR. Chicago hot dogs -- a meal on a bun! (And none of that sauerkraut -- or catsup!) And Hot Doug's -- the gourmet hot dog. Must also have Italian beef (dipped or dry, with sweet or hot). And Chicken Vesuvio. Note: Chicago pizza -- try if you must, but I'll bow to NYC as to pizza.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

All I have to say is MEAT. Have a steak while you are out there. The beef in CT tastes like cardboard in comparison. You guys don't know how lucky you are to live out there.