2015 Palm Springs Film Noir Festival

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: 2015 Palm Springs Film Noir Festival

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, kingrat, your account of some of the experiences and movies you saw at this festival is so inspiring! I do hope you get a chance to read Smith's book on Bernard Herrmann. It is one of the best Hollywood-related musical biographies I've ever read (the other one may be "Stardust Melody: The Life and Music of Hoagy Carmichael" by the late Richard M. Sudhalter).

I loved Abandoned (1949) and all of Raymond Burr's evil-doers in film noir, but can't help wondering--was the print you saw any better than the one that is occasionally available on DVD-r, which I think was drawn from an old VHS tape? Also, I must confess to have been a bit in love with Richard Conte AND Millard Mitchell since seeing Thieves Highway (1949) as a kid. I always thought that the suggestion of violence in this film was more powerful than the drubbings that are meted out every half hour in this movie. If anyone has a chance to snag the DVD of Thieves Highway, it is worth the expense, since there are excellent features such as Alain Silver's fine commentary (he's the co-editor of The Film Noir Encyclopedia, among other essentials), and there is a part of an intriguing documentary on author A.I. Bezzerides, whose truck-driving roots inspired so much of his career.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Re: 2015 Palm Springs Film Noir Festival

Post by CineMaven »

Brother Rat - that was wonderful commentary on the film noir fest. I enjoyed the read very much.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com