Agatha Christie and Dave Brubeck

Arsan444

Agatha Christie and Dave Brubeck

Post by Arsan444 »

Ordeal by Innocence
. 1984. Directed by Desmond Davis. With Donald Sutherland, Christopher Plummer, Ian McShane, Sarah Miles, and Faye Dunaway.

Donald Sutherland tries to prove the innocence of a man who was executed for the murder.
The whole movie seems so detached that I was never involved in the mystery. Faye Dunaway is miscast from start to finish. But the biggest mystery to me was why the movie has a score by Dave Brubeck. The music seems out of place.
When in doubt, have another one.
Dargo

Re: Agatha Christie and Dave Brubeck

Post by Dargo »

Arsan444 wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:24 pm ...But the biggest mystery to me was why the movie has a score by Dave Brubeck. The music seems out of place.
Well then, maybe you should, ahem, take five and then come back and rethink the matter.

You never know. You might then come up with a reason.

(...sorry...once again I just couldn't resist here)

;)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

That does sound kind of an off beat choice...

:smiley_shades:

Does anyone remember when TCM aired the documentary on Brubeck?
I've been trying to get a copy since seeing it & can't find it anywhere.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 4:37 am That does sound kind of an off beat choice...

It's been on TCM twice. The first time was on Brubeck's birthday in 2010, followed by a showing in June 2011.

It was commissioned by TCM. Doubtful it was ever released for home video, streaming or theatrical exhibition.

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/report ... _alpha.htm
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 4:37 am That does sound kind of an off beat choice...

Could this be it? :

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

I seem to recall TCM pairing their presentation of this documentary with the 1962 British film that's a modern take on Shakespeare's 'Othello' titled 'All Night Long', and which Brubeck performs and even acts a bit in.

(...if I recall correctly, that is)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks All Hday...but for some reason I thought it was called BRUBECK ON BRUBECK and it was older, maybe from the 60's? But no results when searching that title.

It was only Dave B. & maybe band members interviewed, no "fans" or "social commentators", I can't stand that in a documentary.

I can see why no one will touch TCM's Brubeck Documentary "My Own Sweet Way"...the first face you see is Bill Cosby!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Btw, the idea the OP Arsan here brought up about the Dave Brubeck score on this Agatha Christie film and it seeming out of place, has reminded me of one of the opening intros Alfred Hitchcock did for his old anthology TV series.

In it the great director seems to almost make fun of the fact and with even a bit of distain in his voice that many of the latest film and television productions of that era were beginning to use a jazz score.

(...anyone else remember this?)
Masha

Post by Masha »

TikiSoo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:35 pm Thanks All Hday...but for some reason I thought it was called BRUBECK ON BRUBECK and it was older, maybe from the 60's? But no results when searching that title.

It was only Dave B. & maybe band members interviewed, no "fans" or "social commentators", I can't stand that in a documentary.

I can see why no one will touch TCM's Brubeck Documentary "My Own Sweet Way"...the first face you see is Bill Cosby!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0877526/fu ... _=tt_cl_sm

https://www.amazon.com/Rediscovering-Da ... C93&sr=8-1

?
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:35 pm ...
Indeed! Yech. :x
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:35 pm Thanks All Hday...but for some reason I thought it was called BRUBECK ON BRUBECK and it was older, maybe from the 60's? But no results when searching that title.

I would hope very few would be as silly as to cancel a documentary due to someone being in said documentary that isn't about or even related to the questionable person.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo wrote: March 27th, 2023, 10:41 pm
Arsan444 wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:24 pm ...But the biggest mystery to me was why the movie has a score by Dave Brubeck. The music seems out of place.
Well then, maybe you should, ahem, take five and then come back and rethink the matter.

;)
If you're gonna Take Five it will actually take longer than Five with the LP version.

2:55 (single version) 45 RPM and probably the AM radio version.
5:28 (album version) The one JJG listens to, right?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: March 29th, 2023, 9:06 pm
If you're gonna Take Five it will actually take longer than Five with the LP version.

Personally, I hate the short versions of every recording I hear on the radio, jimimac.

Yep, don't even get me started about all those times I hear Billy Joel go from singing about his bartender John being "quick with a joke or a light of your smoke, but there's someplace he'd rather be", and then RIGHT to mentioning the "waitress who's practicing politics"!!!

I mean, why does Paul the real estate novelist (whatever the hell THAT is???) and Davy who's still in the Navy, always get cut out of the short version of it, I ask???!!! ;)

(...it's just not FAIR, I say!!!)

LOL
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 9:28 pm I mean, why does Paul the real estate novelist (whatever the hell THAT is???) and Davy who's still in the Navy, always get cut out of the short version of it, I ask???!!! ;)

(...it's just not FAIR, I say!!!)

LOL
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

jimimac71 wrote: March 29th, 2023, 9:06 pm
Dargo wrote: March 27th, 2023, 10:41 pm

;)

My favorite version of Take Five is the one by George Benson on the album Bad Benson (1974).