Same Time Next Year

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
mrsl

Same Time Next Year

Post by mrsl »

Since yesterday with all the prison movies, and today, with all the Marx movies, TCM was a definite avoidance for me, so I explored a few movies on the movie channels I have.

This one, to me, is a very unusual movie. Two people, each married, meet at a resort and have what starts out as a one time only weekend. However, at the end of the weekend they agree to meet again same time, next year, and continue to do so for 27 years. Alan Alda and Ellyn Burstyn two excellent actors, and great choices for these parts seem to become their characters. Although both are nice looking, neither is extraordinary, so it's easier to believe two everyday people could fall into this odd relationship. The movie is a little dated and many people today probably wouldn't understand it because lives are not as ruled by world events today as in the 50's and 60's. Passing time is acknowledged by news reels and newspaper headings, much of which explains their clothing choices and changing ideals. There are a lot of funny scenarios such as one year when Ellyn turns up about 8 months pregnant, and another when he chooses the straight as an arrow way of life, and she is experimenting with being a flower child, e.g. they go to dinner with him in a 3 piece suit and her with her hair in braids, indian headband, no bra, and sandals. As the years pass, they open up to each other in a way neither one would think of doing with their chosen wife/husband.

Also with the passage of time, they deal with raising children, religion, politics, career positions, and all other facets of life. It's actually a story of two soul mates who missed each other like passing ships in the night. They were pretty much meant for each other, but both had already settled on someone else.

It's often warm and touching, and also comedic as well as dramatic. The ending is a charming twist. I have seen this movie several times, and as much as I like it, I believe the two stars are the main reason, but also it is an entertaining film. I don't know why I forget about it when recommending a movie for viewing, or compiling favorites lists, but I'm pretty sure it's a like it or leave it movie. I don't think there are a lot of folks who will watch it several times, unless, like me, they find some secret delight in it, and those who don't will probably watch it once and never bother with it again.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I enjoyed the film. Once you put aside the fact a long term affair that they could keep secret it's a pretty nice film. Burstyn and Alda make a nice couple. Alda annoys me a little later in the film. The title song is a lovely duet with the world famous Johnny Mathis and the wonderfully talented Jane Olivor. (She's great.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

I haven't seen this in a long time, but used to watch it regularly when it first came on cable. I enjoy it too. It's an interesting idea for a story, but I think it had just the right casting. I'm not sure it would have worked with anyone else in the leads. I usually enjoy Ellen Burstyn in anything she's in.