Which Comedian is like Fingers on a Chalkboard for you?

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
cinemalover

Which Comedian is like Fingers on a Chalkboard for you?

Post by cinemalover »

Humor strikes everyone differently. I know for me that my mood when I'm watching a comedy can adversely affect my receptiveness to the intended humor. I can watch a movie and just cringe, but then catch it years later and be amazed at what I had missed, or vice versa.

But some things are constant, like certain actors that you just can't stand in comic roles no matter how hard they try. Jerry Lewis is not everyone's cup of tea. Bug-eyed Eddie Cantor can cause some to ponder the pain of comedy. And let's not get started on the Three Stooges or the Marx Brothers who have been known to divide entire families.

Which comic actors can absolutely drive you to drink?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

W.C. Fields and Jim Carrey.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Well, you said to not get started on the Three Stooges, so I guess I can't respond? I don't even remember seeing them as a small child, since I watched very little TV. Probably saw them for the first time when I was about ten, and just couldn't understand their appeal. And I love slapstick! Other than the Stooges, I can tolerate just about any comedy act in the movies.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Tough question for me. The Giants that I'm not crazy about (e.g., Keaton, Tati) still aren't nails on a chalkboard. Even the Ritz Brothers can amuse me, and -- sometimes -- I find Jerry Lewis hilarious.

So I'll say Richard Dreyfuss -- unfunny at any speed.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Jerry Lewis, Robin Williams, and Jim Carrey head my can't stand list ! :wink:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like practically everything Robin Williams did before "Mrs. Doubtfire." Starting with that movie, I can't stand him, except for his serious role in "Insomnia."

I really don't like Jerry Lewis either, but I'm not sure that it is Jerry's fault or the fault of everyone who kept telling me when I was a kid to like Jerry Lewis' movies because he was the only guy in Hollywood who cared about making decent family movies.

And this wasn't my family, it was people in the neighborhood. When "King of Comedy" came out, I went to see it and liked it (and Lewis) but when I recommended it to a college friend, he shot back "Yes, because Jerry Lewis is the only guy who cares about the family audience." (That is he hated Lewis for the same reasons I did, and he grew up in a different area than I did.)

I love when Martin Short sends up Jerry Lewis. He has all the annoying mannerisms down and then stops dead in mid routine and simpers "But they love me in France" to the camera.
vallo

Post by vallo »

Some may hate this. but I can't stand Danny Kaye...
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Eddie Murphy and most Robin Williams films.

I still don't get the Marx Brothers :(
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

CCF:

A lot of people don't get the Marx Bros. I happen to love them but that's beside the point.

It made me wonder, are they very popular in England? Their humor, to me, seems very American and I wondered how it went over, so to speak, in England.

Thanks.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Their movies rarely get shown here, there isn't a cult following as such. That's not to say there aren't any fans here. One of the biggest British rock groups, Queen named some of their first albums after their films. I suppose the humour doesn't translate well for us.

Somebody will now prove me wrong :)
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Bryce,
I'm glad you mentioned comics on the radio. I always felt that Jack Benny's particular brand of humor, the slow response milking the laughs, the inherent cheapness of his character, made for fabulous radio.

Another comic who I loved on radio is probably one that had no right being successful on radio, Edgar Bergen. Logically, it makes no sense that a ventriloquist could thrive on radio, but because I could see Charlie McCarthy in my mind's eye it worked incredibly well. The programs where Charlie would verbally spar with W.C. Fields were true classic.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
srowley75

Re: Which Comedian is like Fingers on a Chalkboard for you?

Post by srowley75 »

cinemalover wrote:
Which comic actors can absolutely drive you to drink?
From the classic era, I'd name Wheeler and Woolsey. I've recorded and watched a few of their films from TCM and all of them so far have been excruciating. The highlight of one was a very early appearance by Spanky McFarland, who stole the show. I have no idea how their act was so successful.

I believe someone else mentioned the Ritz Brothers, and they're pretty bad as well. I've only seen one of their films, and that was enough.

I can only take certain of the Three Stooges comedies, and in small doses.

As far as naming modern day comedians I can't stand - wow, there are probably too many to list. While I'm certainly no prude, I prefer wit or well-done physical comedy to fart jokes and gross-out gags (pardon the pun), so that disqualifies quite a few current stars - though I believe things are improving.

-Stephen