Goodbye Charlie

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
stuart.uk

Goodbye Charlie

Post by stuart.uk »

It's yrs since I've seen this movie, but remember Debbie Reynolds playing a reincarnation of a recently killed gangster. Debbie is quite good casting as man, who suddenly finds himself in a woman's body and the begining of the film is a hoot as she convinces Tony Curtis she really is Charlie. I'm not sure about the second half as the novelty of the sex change wears off
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've never been able to warm up to "Goodbye Charlie." I think Charlie was a Hollywood screenwriter instead of a gangster.

I've always thought that Blake Edwards' "Switch," which starred Ellen Barkin and came out in 1990 or so was deeply indebted to "Goodbye Charlie."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I remember a tv movie, but not the title. I think it's about an Ice Hockey player and an girl Ice Dancer, who have accidents and end up in Hospital. Physically the hockey player dies, but his soul, or personality end up in the girls body, as she is the one who is actually dead.

I rather enjoyed it.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

The Steve Martin-Lily Tomlin comedy All of Me, uses a similar theme. A rich, dying woman (Tomlin) convinces the daughter of her stableman, who is young, beautiful and healthy (the daughter, not the stableman) to allow Tomlin's soul to enter her body when Tomlin dies. (The daughter's soul was supposed to go winging off to become one with the cosmos.) Martin plays her lawyer and tries to convince her not to do it (even though he hates her--Tomlin's character is a typical rich you know what)because he's sure that all she will accomplish is leaving her estate to the stableman's daughter. She ignores him of course, but has a tantrum which causes her weak heart to give out and they attempt the transfer. It's only partly successful-she ends up in Martin's body. The struggle these two strong-willed people who hate one another have to share one body is really funny. (The urinal scene is priceless, if a bit crude). Eventually, they learn to get along and actually fall in love. (I know--it's weird). In the end, the daughter decides to allow Tomlin to have her body so she can avoid arrest for something. Can't remember how they get Tomlin (in the daughter's body) out of it, but of course she ends up with Martin and the daughter ends up in a horse. (Don't ask.)
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde