Recommendable

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
mrsl

Recommendable

Post by mrsl »

Except for a couple of days, TCM has shown so much re-hash lately, that I'm constantly searching the cable guide graph for movies to watch.

Today I saw on Encore The Four Seasons, a fine comedy from 1981 written by Alan Alda about 3 couples who vacation together all the time. A great cast joins Alda with Carol Burnett as his wife, Len Cariou/Sandy Dennis, and Rita Moreno/Jack Weston as the friends. Halfway through Sandy leaves and Len finds a younger gal to hook up with who has trouble getting accepted by the older women. The main gist of the movie however, is how Alda judges his friends constantly and the wild climax he comes to near the end. There are lots of funny lines and sub-plots that the friends get themselves mixed up in.

Next is Same Time Next Year, which I thought Alda wrote also since the vernacular is so similar, but he didn't. This is one where two people meet innocently enough when they have to share a table for dinner in a crowded restaurant but their acquaintance grows until they meet every year for nearly 30 years in the same weeks. They literally fall in love but they also love their mates who are at home, but continue to come back year after year, going through all the fads of the day. This one is more of a character study, but there are enough laughs to keep you interested, especially the year she is pregnant.

Keep an eye out for both of them because they are both worth the price of a rental or added to you Netflix list.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
inglis

Post by inglis »

Hi Anne
I love these 2 movies you have mentioned .Great cast in Four Seasons.I really like Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.I love Same Time Next year .It really plays out well the years going by and I loved that piece of music from that movie.Last Time I Felt Like This.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Carol:

The song "The Last Time I Felt Like This" is a lovely song ans by one of my favorite singers, Jane Olivor. Not many know her so I use this song to tell people who she is. She has the most lovely voice and can be heart breakingly wonderful.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
inglis

Post by inglis »

movieman1957 wrote:Hi Carol:

The song "The Last Time I Felt Like This" is a lovely song ans by one of my favorite singers, Jane Olivor. Not many know her so I use this song to tell people who she is. She has the most lovely voice and can be heart breakingly wonderful.
Hi Chris . I have heard of Jane Oliver but don't know alot about her music.I just love that song it makes me cry
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Recommendable

Post by movieman1957 »

If this is the place to recommend a film then let me throw in Bluebeard's Eighth Wife starring Gary Cooper and Claudette Colbert. Cooper loves Colbert but she figures to marry him for the money she can get in the divorce. Once figured they both do their best to spoil the other's plans. With a script from Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett it is full of throw-away lines that are quite funny. Cooper and Colbert are wonderful together. It's a fun time.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."