susan slept here (1954)

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
moira finnie
Administrator

susan slept here (1954)

Post by moira finnie »

After viewing Susan Slept Here (1954) over the weekend for the first time, I could not believe it. No wonder Dick Powell called it a career as a screen actor after appearing in this movie. Starring in his Four Star Productions on tv and directing may have been regarded as a comedown by some observers at the time, but at least Dick didn't have to appear to be a dancing monkey on a stick in a spangled sailor suit at the age of 50+ in those other projects. Boy, I hope he was well paid for this job, since all it cost him was his dignity. Oy.

I'm sure that someone must have liked this. If you did, could you please enlighten me about the virtues of this alleged comedy? Here's a clip of one of the most embarrassing moments in movies for Mr. Powell:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

CHIMA-NEE XMAS!
Prior to watching this, I would have sworn there was no cameo too slinky-sinister for Honey West, nor pone too corny for Hank Kimball . . bet I'd bet dollars to donuts neither Anne nor Alvy was braggin' up this shtick at subsequent auditions! :shock: :x :shock: :x :shock: :x :shock: :x
And whoever poor, cash-strapped Mr. Powell was attempting to portray, he sure didn't sign his name anything like P. Marlowe!
I'd have to say, except to assist the topographic measurement of Mrs. Eddie Fisher's showcased derriere, there was no point to this cinema beyond laying the groundwork for the future extortion of everyone involved!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

As a matter of fact, Klondike, whenever the movie wasn't offering us the philosophical observations of the 17 year old pinhead played by Debbie Reynolds, who was photographed rather too lovingly in close up throughout this film with her head cocked like a deaf cocker spaniel, the camera was consistently--and, this being from RKO when run by that noted fetishist and world's worst cinematic mogul, Howard Hughes--the camera's eye was focused almost exclusively on her derriere.

I've never been a big Reynolds fan, but even I know the girl wasn't this bad an actress. And, based on her performance in The Catered Affair made just a little over a year after this movie, she had a few brains, (a gift not located in her rump).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've seen this one a couple of times throughout the years and each time I hope it will change, but am always disappointed to the point that this weekend when I saw it was on, I just passed over it like a dried up worm on the street. Not long ago, I was trying to explain how I get embarrassed for certain actors in certain circumstances. I wish I had remembered my discomfort for Dick Powell in this movie, he had to feel like a complete idiot. Perhaps he was trying to give Debbie's career a boost by putting her in a comedy lead of her own, or revive Anne Francis' fading career, i.e. he might have done it for charitable reasons, that's the only answer I can come up with. Normally I like a light little comedy, but this one was just too dumbed up.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Moira

I thought the same as you the first time I saw the film, but it's grown on me since. It's been a while since I've seen it though, so I don't feel qualified to write a defence of it another than what I've just said