sandykaypax

Re: The Major and The Minor

Post by sandykaypax »

Aw, shucks! :)

Sandy K
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

So many wonderful thoughts and opinions. I have to agree that the Major and the Minor COULD have been icky, but like someone said, we know from scene NO.1 that Ginger is a grown up. The analogy between this and Vic/Vic doesn't work because again, these are two adults. But as for things changing after November, 1963, you are so right, but my mind is so warped by T.V. now, that any time, in a movie or a T.V. show when I see a man cuddling or consoling a child I cringe. I love the shows Law and Order: SVU, and Criminal Minds, but they show so many horrible ways to abuse women and children, that sometimes I'll change channels in the middle of the hour because I don't think I can handle any more. I find myself more and more switching to METV, and DVR'ing the daytime old westerns on Encore and I've also discovered Diagnosis Murder on the Encore Mystery channel at 9:00 p.m., where Dick and Barry Van Dyke solve mysteries without the audience having the 'pleasure' of seeing the damage that has been done to the human body. Wow, I mean what I said, but I'm sorry I said it on the Comedies thread. Please forgive me.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I love THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR. I'm a big fan of Ginger Rogers and TMATM is my favorite of her movies.

I always enjoy the part where Ginger Rogers's character and the cadet manning the switchboard have a dance off and he judges her dancing as "adequate." I expect that line got a huge laugh from movie audiences in 1942.

Last edited by HoldenIsHere on November 12th, 2022, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I love "The Major and the Minor" too. I also agree about the dancing scene where Ginger shows off her "adequate" dancing. I also love later when Frankie Thomas comes back with his Benny Goodman music and dances into the room with the entire inconvenienced staff looking on. He immediately turns, about-face, and walks off to his punishment in the guard house. I also love Rita Johnson as Ray Milland's ridiculous "beguiling" fiancee. Every time I see her in another movie, I immediately think of her talking about "beguiling." It makes me laugh when Ginger pens that fake letter supposedly from Rita and ends it, "so much beguiling love." Diana Lynn as Lucy was hilarious and was a necessary character to keep this film grounded. Were it not for Milland's character supposedly having bad eyesight in one eye, this film would have NEVER worked. Ginger definitely does not look "11, 12 next week," especially when she's dressed in younger clothing.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Another favorite part of THE MAJOR AND THE MNOR is when Ginger Rogers tells the train conductors that she's "of Swedish stock" to explain why she's "big for 12." And when they come back and ask her to say something in Swedish she says "I vant to be alone." This was reference to Greta Garbo that movie audiences of the day would have immediately gotten.