The Major and The Minor

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
CineMaven

Re: The Major and The Minor

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:It's basically the same model as many of Shakespeare's comedies - where the leading man feels a connection to a girl dressed as a boy."
Similar to "Victor, Victoria."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

In classic movies, I think half the charm is seeing a simpler time, when people were not aware of so many issues we are subjected to on an almost daily basis. Not saying there weren't problems, but I think folks were more innocent. Just my opinion.......
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think that's right, Knit Wit. That's why some people find classic era stories dated. It's no longer SHOCKING to learn somebody has been in prison, was once a prostitute, or uses...MARIJUANA! Accusations of extra-marital affairs don't carry the same dramatic weight they once did. Not saying it's meaningless in real life. But in a movie, it's "Yeah, well. Whatever..." Fans like us imagine ourselves in the time and place of the film's release. We see it, at least to the best of our ability, as it was seen at that time.

If this is completely crazy, call the paramedics. I'll have myself committed. You know when I think that innocence was lost? When the president was shot down right before the nation's eyes. After that, we began to ask questions that had rarely been verbalized before. Wars were not accepted at face value. Law and order was challenged. Drugs came into the foreground. And violence became more and more common. Today, as opposed to 1963, it's a surprise when we DON'T see something tragic on the evening news.

Is my theory logical? No. Technically, it makes no sense. But as Sally said to Harry, "You do the math." Society was one way before that day in Dallas. Soon after, it was something very different.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Like Victor/Victoria! good one Maven!

I agree, knitty. There wasn't such suspicion or the prurience we experience pretty much day to day now.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Yes, another great punch-line!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Do I laugh now, or wait 'til it gets funny?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

But...there is a big difference in being attracted to another adult of the same sex, and being attracted to a 12 year old child...I can't quite accept that analogy.

I had the same problem with the film that Nick did. It just seemed icky after a while. I didn't lose any sleep over it, I get that times were different back then, but it's just never gonna be one that I'll seek out to watch again.

I LOVE Victor/Victoria, though! Le Jazz Hot!

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can see your point, Sandy, I really can. It is indeed an icky premise, and perhaps it would have been better not to have made it.

But I still love the movie! :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

If we, as the audience didnt know Ginger is an adult, then it would be icky. But we are in on the joke, and the humor is in watching her get herself in and out of tricky situations.
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I see your point, knitty, but I just...wish that Ray Milland figured it out earlier. Or seemed more disturbed that Ginger is flirting with him.

But, whatevs! To each his own! I love Bringing Up Baby and that film seems to irritate lots of people.

Sandy K
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Aw, isn't this a great place? I love that we can have interesting discussions and not get hateful with someone who doesn't agree with us. Ann Landers said it best: "If two people agree on everything, one of them is unnecessary!"

Even Facebook people are totally vicious on some things...so glad we don't have to hang around there as much now.

I kind of took Milland's naïveté as part of the ongoing joke...he was the Minor! And I love Bringing up Baby, too. ( except when Kate is running around echoing Cary calling for the dog...I want to slug her.... :oops: :oops: :oops: )
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Brining up Baby is a film I've loved and hated. Each time I see it I seem to have the opposite reaction. But that doesn't mean I won't watch it when it's on! It
s still better than the junk on TV. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sorry, that's BRINGING UP BABY. Sounds like I was going to marinate her for a meal or something. Ewww! :D
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

It's summer! Throw some marinated leopard on the barbie! :)

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Sandy, love having you back posting! :D :D