Stan and Ollie

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

movieman1957 wrote:Sunday the 25th at the unfortunate time of 5:29am TCM has scheduled "Chickens Come Home." It is slated for 30 mins.
Darn and I like to sleep in on Sundays!

Oh well i'll wake up and watch it then go to bed. Thanks for the heads up.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I watched the short this morning and I read reviews saying it was one of their lesser ones but HOOO BOY was it ever funny! My favourite bit? The whole paying off the waiter stuff oh and the ending bit when they're trying to get the blackmailer out of the house.

ROFL!

Those two were comedic GOLD!
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

The Spanish language version of Chickens Come Home (Politiqueras) is much longer than the English language version. Babe delivers his lines smoothly but Stan has a tough time of it. Both versions are quite a hoot!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Bogie:

So glad you enjoyed it. As a long time fan it is a real treat watching you discover them. As you find more keep letting us know how you like the films. We'll have fun talking about them.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Well I watched The Dancing Masters this morning. The less said the better. Stan was right to be bitter at "those Fox people". I'll have more to say when I do my write up on it. Needless to say though, I fell asleep halfway through and woke up near the end. I don't think I missed much.

It was truly dreadful and to think this was one of the 20 highest grossing films of that year!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

At times anything from "Great Guns" and later can be a tough watch. I think "A-Haunting We Will Go" was self produced but MGM and Fox didn't do them any favors.

They were treated much the same as the Marx Bros were late in their career. Squeeze a few films out of their loyal audience, make a few bucks but good Lord, don't let them do what they want to really make people laugh.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Here is a blog from our friend at Greenbriar. Scroll down to the Nov. 27 entry. You'll see Stan and Ollie's picture.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This is forever away but it looks like on March 15 Stan and Ollie are heading the evening. If TCM is still doing it in March they are the evening's "Essential."

You get their Oscar winning short "The Music Box" and "Sons of The Desert."

Yea!
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh, I wish, wish, wish TCM would pull out something a little less overshown. If they've got the Hal Roach library, surely there's something more interesting (not that these two films aren't interesting, they're just virtually the only ones screened these days).

By the way, Chris, thanks for the link in your next-to-last post. There's a really cute photo of the pair as pilgrims (check out Stan, especially) that I put up as my wallpaper. It makes me smile every time I see it.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You're welcome. I'm still carrying the TCM wallpaper from "Bonnie Scotland" from last year. I don't know if there is a way to keep them but I'd like to store them in a picture file.

I agree on the selection for that night (it will be good for Bogie) but with all the short films they have you'd think we would be getting more of them.

Wishing along with you....
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Morning, All.

Once again, the New York Times' online "This Day in History" page for January 18th has listed the birthdays of Cary Grant and Danny Kaye, and neglected to mention Oliver Hardy.

So I will take this opportunity to wish Mr. Hardy a very happy birthday. He will always be one of my two favorite grandpas.

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thank you for correcting such a terrible omission. Great picture.
Chris

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

You would think the Times would acknowledge one of the pioneers of slapstick and buddy comedy.

Very sad omission indeed.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Bogie wrote:You would think the Times would acknowledge one of the pioneers of slapstick and buddy comedy.

Very sad omission indeed.
I am of a mind to contact the online Times and point out this grievous omission. Now to figure out who to direct my complaint to . . . . .

Babe Forever!
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

is SAPS AT SEA overshown to you guys?

It's going to air on the 22nd of April at the crack of dawn (6 AM)