Margaret Lindsay - Forgotten Warners Star !

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ken123

Margaret Lindsay - Forgotten Warners Star !

Post by ken123 »

Margaret Lindsay who co -starred tonight with Jimmy Cagney was born Margaret Kies in 1910. She has shown up fairly regularly lately, in Warner Bros films of the 1930's, on TCM, as well as the Doris Day opus Please, Don't Eat the Daisies . I think that that she is really underappreciated today. She died in 1981 and is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery, Los Angeles. :wink:
tallulahfan

Post by tallulahfan »

Yes I thought Margaret was a very stylish actress who was never really given her due in those Warner movies. Bette Davis made a barbed comment about her in one of her books. Without naming her she said that the actress playing Henry Fonda's wife in "Jezebel" (Lindsay) was having a hard time getting the fact over that she was now married to Fonda so Wyler had to use a shot of her wedding ring to make it plain to the audience that they were now married. I always thought Margaret Lindsay was a likeable actress. For some reason I thought she always sounded British. Apparently she started her career on the British stage which may account for that. There is remarkably little info about her on the internet and unusually she never married.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

According to imdb:

"Margaret never married in real life but remained close to her family. Her dating companions were typically "safe" stars such as Cesar Romero, Richard Deacon, and even Liberace. For much of her time in Hollywood, Margaret shared a home with a close sister. She died at age 70 in Los Angeles of emphysema in the spring of 1981."

According to wikipedia:

"Offscreen, Lindsay lived with her sister Helen in Hollywood. Despite being romantically linked to actors such as William Gargan and Edward Norris, she never married. That aspect of Lindsay's personal life has inevitably become the object of speculation in today's era in which more and more deceased actors/actresses from the Classic Hollywood period are identified as having been gay, lesbian or bisexual. In Lindsay's case, it is rumor and "reported" facts rather than actual supporting evidence that is cited..."

Reading these two sources about Margaret Lindsay has only made me admire the actress more and caused me to seek her out in films. Those choices of men does seem to give it away, huh?

Well what I didn't realize was that while I was looking at some of the big Warner Bros. films, that Margaret was in them as well. She was sooo attractive, and had a great speaking voice; a nice low alto. Perhaps not sexy, she seemed like the type that men liked 'cuz she could speak to them sensibly...on their level. Now now, I know most guys would prefer Ava-Lana-Rita-Hedy. But there were other men who like the Margaret Lindsay type. You could be yourself with her...she wouldn't use coquettishness and sexuality to get ya.

Why didn't she have a bigger career?? Like I've said here and on the TCM Board, there was soooo much competition (Bette, Stanwyck, Crawford, Myrna, Irene, Greer, Roz, Paulette, Vivien...etc.etc.) one had to stand out exceptionally to stand out.

But those of us who are film buffs know the real jewels in the crown...and they are the supporting actors. I love Margaret Lindsay. Quite capable...and I thought quite sexy too. She rocks!!
ken123

Re: Margaret Lindsay - Forgotten Warners Star !

Post by ken123 »

Ms Lindsay will appear in the film Dangerous tonight at 10pm ( EDT ) on TCM. Bette Davis, Franchot Tone, and Allison Spokworth also appear. I have no recolllection of ever having seen this film. :D
intothenitrate

Re: Margaret Lindsay - Forgotten Warners Star !

Post by intothenitrate »

The nice thing about this universe of film is...you're never too late to post about things. On a lark the other day, I watched the film The Case of the Curious Bride to get a glimpse of Errol Flynn in a pre-break-out role. Who was that actress playing Rhoda? She's heavenly!

Noting the name--Margaret Lindsay--I went to IMDB to see what other films she had been in, a number of which I had in my collection. My mini-film festival included Border Town, Jezebel, Dangerous, and a Boris Karloff vehicle, British Intelligence. (I don't know what happened to my copy of Fog Over Frisco. Arghh.

What a lovely face, figure, and voice! And she had a good deal of gravitas, too, holding down her part of the screen vis-a-vis the formidable Ms. Davis. And her performances are so perfectly modulated, even in situations that might cause other actors to overdo it.

I appreciate and agree with everything posted about her above. She's definitely now on my short list of serious screen crushes.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington