John Ford

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

John Ford

Post by Lzcutter »

Lest we forget, I can't talk film, filmmakers or anything to do with film without John "Pappy" Ford having a thread of his own.

From westerns to dramas to the occasional comedy, Ford was the top of the pyramid as they say in The Right Stuff.

Beloved by many, loathed by a few, idolized by the generations that came after him.

Here's to Pappy!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Lynn:

Keep an eye out for a little feature on Monumnet Valley. I caught it at the end of "Escape From Ft. Bravo." It looks like it was a kind of a "Tales From My Town" where they gave a little history on how Ford ended up using Monumenet Valley. They talk to some people that live there and give some modern shots that match the film shots.

I'm not sure if it would be in MGMWBRKO's shorts listing. Thought you might be interested.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o One of John Ford's greatest films is the little seen Silent feature FOUR SONS (1928). I want Fox to release this film on DVD so badly! It really needs to be done because it is Ford's finest Silent film! THE IRON HORSE (1924), with George O' Brien, and Madge Bellemy, is the only John Ford Silent feature that has appeared on DVD to date.

Unfortunately, the figure heads at Fox seem to have not conception of just how important these films are? Since they have refused to release Frank Borzage's Masterpiece SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927) with Janet Gaynor, and Charles Farrell, even though it has recently been restored, and a DVD version was completed and ready to go, well over a year ago! :(

Based on this shocking news, it appears unlikely that we will see FOUR SONS or any other great Fox Silents, like WHAT PRICE GLORY? (1926) or STREET ANGEL (1928) on DVD anytime soon? Very disappointing! :cry:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Well you all just know I'm gonna be on this trail!! I was looking at some clips on Gary Cooper's funeral and there was Ford, one of those attending. I said to myself "So they did know eachother, well enough for Pappy to be one of the few invited to the funeral." And I added to myself, "One of my greatest cinematic regrets is that Ford never got to direct Gary in a western." I think these two giants would have created something equal to the best of each. *sigh* What might have been...

If anyone ever hears anything about the possibility of Directed by John Ford getting a release on dvd, please advise. I know it's being aired on TCM next month as part of the Duke's Centennial, so those who've missed it last fall, tune in: Tuesday, May 22nd at 7:00 a.m. EST.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Gagman 66 wrote::o One of John Ford's greatest films is the little seen Silent feature FOUR SONS (1928). I want Fox to release this film on DVD so badly! It really needs to be done because it is Ford's finest Silent film! THE IRON HORSE (1924), with George O' Brien, and Madge Bellemy, is the only John Ford Silent feature that has appeared on DVD to date.

Unfortunately, the figure heads at Fox seem to have not conception of just how important these films are? Since they have refused to release Frank Borzage's Masterpiece SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927) with Janet Gaynor, and Charles Farrell, even though it has recently been restored, and a DVD version was completed and ready to go, well over a year ago! :(

Based on this shocking news, it appears unlikely that we will see FOUR SONS or any other great Fox Silents, like WHAT PRICE GLORY? (1926) or STREET ANGEL (1928) on DVD anytime soon? Very disappointing! :cry:
Gagman you are so right about all of those great films, and regarding FOUR SONS, I am particularly longing to get it on dvd. The talkie remake is also excellent but nothing beats the original. This movie is so topical, too. What mother who has sent children to Iraq could see this and not be moved? How amazingly powerful visual images can be, without need of dialogue, is aptly illustrated by this classic.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

A picture of Pappy, to hang in our gallery.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Another I'd like to share, of the Quiet Men.

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Gagman,

Could we be about to embark on a great adventure with 20th Fox? I am hearing rumors that Fox is going to produce a feature length doc on Ford.

The only reason I can think of for Fox to do this is to release the Ford silents.

Here's hoping!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Izcutter,

:roll: I wouldn't get my hopes up. Just like Paramount, Fox should relinquish the rights to these films, if they are not going to do anything with them! I have been hoping to see a nice Box-set of John Ford Silent's for several years. THREE BAD MEN (1926) is still another feature that should be on DVD! Probably Ford's best Silent Western, even over THE IRON HORSE (1924).

It is possible that more of the lost footage to THE BLUE EAGLE (1925), with Janet Gaynor, and George O' Brien has been found just recently?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Gagman,

I agree that Fox is pretty dismal when it comes to their silent library. I think Fox is aware of what it owns but doesn't necessarily see the value in their holdings, while Paramount, on the other hand, is just clueless eight ways to Sunday about their Silent Library. The mere fact that they continue to sit on Beau Geste and The Covered Wagon is damn (can I say that word here?) near a crime in my book.

However, I can not think of a good reason for Fox to go ahead with a feature length documentary on John Ford. Last year Warner Bros and TCM updated "Directed by John Ford" (and made it a much better film than it was originally) and PBS did a two hour American Experience/American Masters on John Ford and John Wayne collaborative films.

The only reason I can think of Fox entering this fray is to have a documentary as bonus material for a boxed set of Ford's Fox Films. With any luck it would include The Iron Horse.

Hoping, hoping, hoping.....
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Izcutter,

:) I actually have THE IRON HORSE on DVD! The Photo-play Productions version was released by the BFI across the pond some years back! It is still under-copyright but, they had the permission of Fox to put this one out! The print is very nice, and multi-tinted throughout! The original orchestral score on this edition by John Lachbery is magnificent!

I have two versions of THREE BAD MEN (1926) on DVD-R. One is from the AMC Film Preservation Festival from about 1998, or so. It has a Piano score. The other is a transfer of the Critic's Choice VHS release with a Theater Organ score. This is a great film with an awesome cast, and deserves be properly restored!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That rumor about the documentary sounds promising. If sales on Ford's films with Wayne do well this May for the centennial, then maybe they will feel encouraged to go through with future releases. I've never seen The Iron Horse, either, or Three Bad Men so a silents box set would be gold.
MissGoddess

Gideon of Scotland Yard - 5/3 on TCM

Post by MissGoddess »

A JOHN FORD MOVIE I'VE NEVER SEEN is airing Thursday night on TCM!!! Yippee Doooo!!! :lol:

Fordian fans take note:

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?c ... eg20070501
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Now that we've had our chat with Mr. Eyman and the Ford box coming out in Dec what are the films that any of us are looking for to seeing or rediscovering?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm excited to see the many I have never watched before, but there are two titles I am most excited about:

Pilgrimage (1933) - Mr E in one of his books called Henrietta Crosman's "Hannah Jessop" one of the greatest performances by an actress so you can imagine how much I'm looking forward to seeing it. Her character evidently goes through quite a transformation, one I'm eager to witness. I can tell this is the kind of tale I'll want to see unfold in a darkened room, alone, with the phone OFF.

The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) - Somehow I kept missing it when it turned up on FMC but I've been curious about it ever since I first heard of it (I'm a bit of an Abe Lincoln enthusiast, so anything related to him generated in this period is of interest).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have about a half dozen books staring me in the face to read, and three of them are Eyman's which I recently ordered. :P