West End/Broadway star the new Miss Marple

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

West End/Broadway star the new Miss Marple

Post by stuart.uk »

Just found out today, who the new Miss. Marple is to be for a new tv series in the UK which i presume will transmit in the U.S at some point.

Maybe because i'm getting older myself, but the new Miss. Marple looks younger and is a good deal sexier than Margaret Rutherford. if you're interested i'll put you now out of your misery. it's 67-yr-old Julie McKenzie, who has already filmed one episode.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

What's happened to Geraldine McEwan, who has played her for the past three years or so? I've really enjoyed the episodes that she has been in, which played here in the States on PBS Mystery series.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Long ago, I read a discussion that favored a Young Miss Marple, and using an actress like Jenny Agutter - a great and expressive face, similar to Rutherford's. But I'm never sure anyone will match my impression of Margaret's command of her expressions. When I think of Olympic judges giving out "10's" to the gymnasts, I think even the East German judge would give Margaret a few "11's" in those films.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

one actress short listed for the role was Julie Walters, who is about 10-yrs younger than Julia McKenzie. Julie can play old women, but she is still young enough to do the sexy young dolly bird too. age might well have gone against her.

in saying that i've often wondered if a movie could be done about a young Jane Marple. Jenny is in the same age group as Julie Walters, but what about a young Victorian Marple in the 1890s say. Margaret Rutherford always used to boast about her expliots as a younger women. she was a champion horsewoman and fencer. choices for that type of role i wonder, i'm thinking either Catherine Zeta Jones or Doctor Who girl Billie Piper in the role, solving murders with both her wits and phyiscal prowess.

i wonder to if we might see more action with Julia McKenzie in the role. at 67 she's bit younger than those before her. plus the fact as a top song and dance girl she's probably still in great shape!
tallulahfan

Post by tallulahfan »

Julia McKenzie is a wonderful actress. I saw her on stage in "Sweeny Todd" about 10 years ago. I'm sure she'll be magnificent in the part.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Jezebel

here's a link about Geradine's retiral from the role

Geraldine McEwan retires from Marple role after 12 TV films | Media ...
The hunt is on for a new Miss Marple after actress Geraldine McEwan announced her retirement from the role. By Tara Conlan

www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/23/itv.television · 16/04/2008 · Cached page