Beautiful girls and non convencial good looking leading men

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Beautiful girls and non convencial good looking leading men

Post by stuart.uk »

What about Beautiful actresses oppisite actors, who aren't stunningly good looking

Marilyn Monroe and David Wayne in How To Marry A Millionaire
Lauren Bacall and Cameron Mitchell in HTMAM
Shirley Eaton and Danny Ross in The Love Match
Marilyn and Tom Ewell in The Seven Year Itch
Marilyn and Tommy Noohan in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Jean Peters and David Wayne in Wait Till The Sun Shines Nellie
Katharine Hepburn and Wendall Corey in The Rainmaker
Barbara Stanwyck and Alan Hale snr in Stella Dallas
Barbara Stanwyck and Wendall Corey in The Furies
Helena Bonam Carter and Eddie Marson in Sixty Six
Jill Ireland and Kenneth Williams in Carry On Nurse
Barbara Windsor and Sid James in a couple of Carry-Ons
Joan Syms and Sid James in Carry-On Camping
Sylvia Syms and Sid James in The Big Job
Liz Fraser and Kenneth Conner in Carry On Cabbie
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Fred Astaire and just about every partner he ever had.

(Well, I think he's good-looking, but he's definitely unconventionally so!)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Although I love his voice and personality, I never found James Coburn handsome and he was paired with Lee Remick in Hard Contract.

Mickey Rooney and his leading ladies! :lol:
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

As Kate Hepburn said Ginger gave Fred sex and he gave her class
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

I've never felt that Fred ultimately requires the presence of Ginger in order to be sexy, but perhaps the point of Kate's remark is that Ginge, with her way of looking at him as if he could move mountains, got him started being viewed as a heartthrob.

What's amazing and amusing to me is how well he holds his own around Rita Hayworth and Cyd Charisse. He seems slightly overwhelmed by them in some dialogue scenes, but he takes complete control in the dances. Because I like his modest personality so much, this dichotomy is particularly appealing to me.

But I guess the thing that helps all these unorthodox leading men we're mentioning "get the girl" is a certain ineffable charm, and variations on that dichotomy.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The thing that amazes me about the career of Fred Astaire is not that he wasn't good looking in the conventional sense and he still got Ginger, Rita etc. Of course he did because he had the grace, style and class to charm these lovely ladies off their feet. What surprises me is that the formula still worked in the fifties when Fred was working with Leslie Caron and Cyd Charisse. He was old enough to be Leslie's father but Daddy Long Legs does not feel uncomfortable to me at all.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Julie Christie early on in her career made The Fast Lady with comedy actor Stanley Baxter. yrs later The Stanley Baxter variety show becam every popular, particulary his impression of The Queen
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

The thing that amazes me about the career of Fred Astaire is not that he wasn't good looking in the conventional sense and he still got Ginger, Rita etc. Of course he did because he had the grace, style and class to charm these lovely ladies off their feet. What surprises me is that the formula still worked in the fifties when Fred was working with Leslie Caron and Cyd Charisse. He was old enough to be Leslie's father but Daddy Long Legs does not feel uncomfortable to me at all.
Yes, and there's Easter Parade with Judy Garland as well. Quite an age difference there. But Fred is so charming and classy that he can pull it off. A man who has a sense of humour and can dance amazingly well is very attractive.

Another suggestion: James Cagney, and every one he starred opposite. I think he's good looking, but not in a conventional way.

And of course the obvious: Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, and Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in their films.

Beautiful actors opposite actresses who aren't stunningly good looking is so much rarer.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

How about The Station Agent? Peter Dinklage and Patricia Clarkson are about as unconventional as you could get.
charliechaplinfan

Hedvig, do you not think Cagney is handsome :D maybe it's just me :lol:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Hey, didn't I say I thought so? Oh no, I said he was good looking. I guess I meant that he wasn't conventionally handsome in that dashing, typical, boring way. :D
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

:D There are so many types of handsome aren't there? Some are not on the surface, but go deeper.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Sometimes it's just the way the character's are written too :D