Did Elvis spend the day with Tommy Steele in London

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Did Elvis spend the day with Tommy Steele in London

Post by stuart.uk »

Earlier this week British theatrical producer Bill Kenwright, who's the partner of Jenny Seagrove, was interviewed on the radio.

he said 'i'll tell you something you don't know!' he went on to add that while he was in the army, Elvis phoned Tommy Steele, a the time Britain's first rock an roll singer, and asked if he could spend the day with him. Bill then said Tommy took him around London and showed him the sights. Bill also said he hoped Tommy, whom he produced in the West-End musical Scrooge, wouldn't be mad at him at revealing a secret that was over 50 yrs old.

it doesn't sound much, but up and till now it's been exepted Elvis' only trip to Britain was a stop of point at Preswick airport in Scotland. the presenter Bill Turnbull, who told the story on BBC's Breakfast show queeried the story. 'what would be the point of Tommy Steele not saying anything about it before'

i see what he meant, it's hardly damaging to Elvis' image if he spent a day in London or not. i think the real di-hard British Elvis fans would have liked to have known their hero did more than change planes in Scotland when he was in the UK, even if it was just a day out with Tommy Steele. mind you i find it hard to believe Elvis could walk down the streets of London without being recognized.

it'll be interesting if Tommy comments on his producers comments
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

It seems Tommy Steele has reluctantly admitted to spending a day with Elvis in London in 1958. a journalist in my local paper, an Elvis fan is reluctant to believe it, because he rather that when Elvis arrived at Preswick Airport for a change of planes that was his only appearence in the UK. he also said unfairly that Tommy was a novelty singer. i find that insulting to a great entertainer. admittedly he wasn't as good as Elvis, but in 1958 he was Britains top rock an roll singer and in the mid 60s evolved into a top all round entertainer. the reporter, however, understandably queeried as to why Tommy didn't get a snap shop of him and Elvis together and why didn't a member of the public recognize either of them as they walked the London streets.

Tommy strangely said he hope Elvis, who died in 1977, doesn't mind a secret he was hoping to take to the grave is now public knowledge. if true i don't know why it had to be kept a secret, it's such a trival matter in all truth, but di-hard British Elvis fans no doubt would like to know about what transpired on that day.