David Lean and the Lawrence of Arabia conundrum.

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
myrnaloyisdope

David Lean and the Lawrence of Arabia conundrum.

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

So I've now seen 7 of David Lean's films and I like them all very much except for Lawrence of Arabia. I've seen Summertime, Great Expectations, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Brief Encounter, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Zhivago, and Ryan's Daughter

My concern is that Lawrence is supposed to Lean's best, and regularly shows up as one the best films ever. But I find it long, distant and boring. I can't connect emotionally with the film, and aside from the beautiful scenery there is nothing there. Heck I even watched it on a theater screen just to see if that would do it for me, but I just felt bored and annoyed, and I left at the intermission.

I was ok with my disliking the film until I watched Ryan's Daughter which is just as long, and nowhere near as highly regarded and yet I really enjoyed it. So clearly it's not just that it's long, I mean I did watch the 8 hour War and Peace, but rather something else causes me to dislike it so.

So what am I missing with this film? I don't know if I want to watch it again, but I am bothered nonetheless by the incongruity of it, given that I really liked all the Lean films I've seen.

I assume at 25, I'm old enough to appreciate the film, so what gives?
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

if pushed i would say David Lean's British movies are better than his later Hollywood epics. In Which We Serve, This Happy Breed, Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, The Sound Barrier and Hobson's Choice are all terrific films. of his later i films i prefer Dr. Zhivago
Last edited by stuart.uk on June 1st, 2008, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I being to think we have a lot in common Myrna :wink: . I love Ryan's Daughter and of his epics it is my favorite. I don't understand why it's not more highly regarded. Lawrence of Arabia is an impressive looking film but far from my favorite.

I prefer his earlier British films Brief Encounter and Hobson's Choice are my favorite.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

When this film first came out, several friends and I went to see it. The only seats left were front row off to the right.
We sat there looking up for 3 hours and at one point at a camels backside; and I must say when I left the theater, I was rather sea-sick or is that sand-sick.
All that desert and sun - too much!!! I've never seen the picture again...

I suppose, to answer your question, that the premise was that in the desert lands, nothing gets done quickly but is a slow tedious process. Just my take on the movie!!!

As for Peter O'Toole - I've never cared one way or the other; I can take him or leave him.
I enjoyed "My Favourite Year" and "Becket" but really couldn't tell you what else he's been in...

The best thing about the film is the music - but it too gets repetative and tedious.

Larry