*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by feaito »

The shot of June Lang is superb! And so is the picture featuring Paulette and Cecil B....
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, Fernando.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

MAY 6th. BIRTHDAYS

RICHARD EYER is 65 today

ROSS HUNTER (1920 - 1996)

ORSON WELLES (1915 - 1985)

STEWART GRANGER (1913 - 1993)

RAYMOND BAILEY (1904 - 1980)

RUDOLPH VALENTINO (1895 - 1926)
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh, that Orson. He just slays me.

How old is he in that photo -- 18? Young or old, thin or fat, when I look at him what I see is the intensity, the smolder, the vital intelligence, the impishness, the . . . . . . maleness. I could spend many hours imagining our paths crossing.

And, really, I wouldn't mind if we just talked. Honest.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Amen, my Sister.
And, really, I wouldn't mind if we just talked. Honest.
I'd be ecstatic just to listen to him. Definitely on the short-list of guests at my dream dinner party -- with him seated between Groucho Marx and Dorothy Parker, and across from Oscar Wilde and Timothy Carey.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

Just make sure that Ms. Parker is seated equidistant from the sideboard as is Ayn Rand - those two are often competitively thirsty and volatile - trust me on this!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I don't want Rand at my Smart Candlelight Supper!

I can deal with pretention if it's leavened with a sense of humor, and Rand doesn't qualify. She can stay home and host her own Randlovefests, as was her wont.

I want Oscar Levant at my party, and put him next to Oscar Wilde -- that should be interesting.

I want Bankhead and Hepburn (either Hepburn, or both), but seat them well away from Parker, as there's little love lost there. In fact, let's have Parker over for tea another time, maybe with Lilian Hellman, just to see what happens.

And I want Orson seated on my right, and Steven McQueen on my left (and keep Tallulah away from McQueen!).
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: And I want Orson seated on my right, and Steven McQueen on my left (and keep Tallulah away from McQueen!).
Never one for formal sit-downs, I trust you won't mind if I lean 'n lounge about in your study, with John McIntire & Donald Crisp [if Squire Crisp is needed elsewhere, you may surrogate Torin Thatcher]. We'll all be wearing Harris tweed and pocket watches as we chat amiably while sampling your brandy; I'll keep one secretly sharp eye out the french-doors as the afternoon wind comes up, just in case I spot the sombre silhouette of Anne Revere lingering down along the stone wall by the near paddock.
If I do, I'll make an excuse about checking the Triumph's bonnet before the rain starts, and slip outside as I snug-up my jacket collar.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

ChiO wrote: Definitely on the short-list of guests at my dream dinner party -- with him seated between Groucho Marx and Dorothy Parker, and across from Oscar Wilde and Timothy Carey.
Mine would be John Waters, Brigid Berlin, Quentin Crisp, Maureen Stapleton, Flannery O'Connor, Divine, Elaine Stritch, Bette Davis, and (in the center, or at one end) Paul Lynde.

The very old first edition of The Book of Lists had a feature where all sorts of celebs picked their "dream dinner party" guests. There were many interesting choices. Of course some individuals tried to be controversial by choosing despots and murderers among the noted wits and intellectuals.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I recall I had a thread on TCM called 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' that was like the subject matter here.
I remember that I chose Mae West, Clifton Webb, Tallulah (of course), Oscar Lavant, Ethel Barrymore, among others. It was a lot of fun.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Director Clarence Brown eyes Greta Garbo & Charles Boyer on the set of "Conquest".
Joseph Goodheart
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

mongoII wrote:I recall I had a thread on TCM called 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' that was like the subject matter here.
I remember that I chose Mae West, Clifton Webb, Tallulah (of course), Oscar Lavant, Ethel Barrymore, among others. It was a lot of fun.
I'd like to see such a thread again, mongo. It does sound like fun.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CarrieLiz wrote:
mongoII wrote:I recall I had a thread on TCM called 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' that was like the subject matter here.
I'd like to see such a thread again, mongo. It does sound like fun.
Here's the original, begun on Christmas Eve, 2001 by--Guess who?--Mr. Mongo. Those were the days, eh, Joe!:
http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=22989&#22989
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, it was a hoot reading that again. It makes me wonder what happened to some of our old pals?
Also what is up with the numbers 13 and 10?
I thought I had a longer list than just Mae West at my dinner. Perhaps I imagined it.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Newlyweds Charles Bronson and his first wife Harriet in 1949.
Joseph Goodheart