*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by knitwit45 »

Joe, Henry Brandon also played the evil Scar in the Searchers. What a varied career. And Moondoggie is 76??? geez. :roll: :roll:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Nancy, Mr. Brandon was quite the actor.
Joseph Goodheart
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

*cough* I really liked Bob Cummings in It Started With Eve.

*slinks away*
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I liked him in King's Row. Move over.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JOE SANTOS is 81 today

MONA FREEMAN is 86 today

JOAN MARSHALL (1931 - 1992)
aka JEAN ARLISS
Joseph Goodheart
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jack F: I agree about Paulette's legs. Personally I think any woman wearing a skirt looks horrendous with no hosiery on but I've already been shouted down on that one, but she is definitely the exception to that rule.

Obviously someone is not a fan of Star Trek TNG. Darren played the owner and singer of a nightclub the Captain liked to visit in the hologram unit, and the grey hair, only adds elegance to his 70 some years at the time. Moondoggie is still Moondoggie, only just a little bit older looking.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

pvitari wrote:*cough* I really liked Bob Cummings in It Started With Eve.

*slinks away*
knitwit45 wrote:I liked him in King's Row. Move over.
I think that Robert Cummings is a vastly underrated actor. He not only is very good in those great 2 films you both mention, but also starred in some of the most noteworthy films of the 1940s: "The Lost Moment" (1947) (an undiscovered gem), "Saboteur" (1942) (an excellent Hitchcock), the mysterious Anthony Mann period film "Reign of Terror" (1949), the interesting Sirk flick "Sleep My Love" (1948), the completely entertaining "Princess O'Rourke" (1943); he also starred in the most intriguing episode of Duvivier's "Flesh and Fantasy" (1943) opposite Betty Field and was featured in the excellent all-star "Forever and a Day" (1943). & I still have to see him in the highly praised "The Chase" (1946).

I'm thinking that his image and talent might have been underrated and maligned, due to his later TV/film work during the 1950s or 1960s (just as Fred Mac Murray's was). Being a Chilean, I'm not familiar with his later TV work during those decades and the image he projected.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

It started with Eve was the Deanna Durbin Flick. I, of course, liked that too.

Girls who played "country girls" often did not wear hosiery but they did like lots of makeup all over their bodies. Deanna Durbins "Spring Parade" was an example of bare legs down on the farm,

Many "starlet" photos appearing in this wonderful thresad by Joe are examples of massive makeup schemes. Today they use air brushung while in the early movies they used plaster. I am not sure which I favor.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Well said, Fernando. I for one enjoyed most of his films, although not so much his TV shows.
Of the films you mentioned I liked him in "Saboteur", "The Lost Moment", and of course "King's Row", "The Bride Wore Boots" with Stanwyck, "The Devil and Miss Jones" and "Paid in Full", among others. Mr. Cummimgs paid his dues.
Last edited by mongoII on June 9th, 2012, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm glad that you agree with me Joe. I had forgotten to mention the masterpiece that is "The Devil and Miss Jones" (1941) and of course I must watch adequately -without distractions- "The Bride wore Boots" ('46) with our Stany :wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Liked Bob (but never loved him) when he had good direction i.e. King's Row, Saboteur, The Chase, and It Started With Eve. Other movies not so much. I was first exposed to Cummings when he was a much older man hawking a line of vitamins on the tube to ensure eternal youth. I would probably perceive him now as a nice old guy trying to get by and hang on to a molecule of fame--no different from those once-famed folks on QVC or selling reverse mortgages--though Bob had the market cornered on positive thinking.

I'm sure that he was kind to animals (that Irish Setter probably loved him), and an okay guy. I just thought that the dog looked brighter than he did in that photo. I still do. If that offends anyone, I apologize.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Robert Mitchum and Jeffrey Hunter try the local baguette on the location of "The Longest Day"
(did these guys have their minds in the gutter?) Nahhh.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:Liked Bob (but never loved him) when he had good direction i.e. King's Row, Saboteur, The Chase, and It Started With Eve. Other movies not so much. I was first exposed to Cummings when he was a much older man hawking a line of vitamins on the tube to ensure eternal youth. I would probably perceive him now as a nice old guy trying to get by and hang on to a molecule of fame--no different from those once-famed folks on QVC or selling reverse mortgages--though Bob had the market cornered on positive thinking.

I'm sure that he was kind to animals (that Irish Setter probably loved him), and an okay guy. I just thought that the dog looked brighter than he did in that photo. I still do. If that offends anyone, I apologize.
Do not worry Moira, we all have our sense of humor and maybe I could understand better the perception a part of the audience has and/or had of Cummings if I had been exposed to his commercials and TV-shows of the 1950s or 1960s. On the very contrary, I only know him through those great movies of the 1940s I mentioned. By the way, if you do not have seen it you must see Bob and Susan in the glorious 1947 "The Lost Moment".

I think something similar has happened with Fred MacMurray.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hey guys, thanks for the quick response to my question of who Virginia McKenna was. I had heard her name as the woman who raised the lions in Africa, but never thought she was an actress. Like the lady with the gorillas who had Sigourney Weaver playing her; no mention was ever made about McKenna just playing a part - I thought she was the real thing. Anyway, you know how I feel about knowing some of the cast of the movies I watch, so I have to admit I didn't watch any of her movies that day. I'm sure I'll catch them as time goes by though.

I remember Bob Cummings from his TV show many moons ago. I believe he was a novelist who got into all sorts of silly troubles because of his work crew and friends. But none of it is too clear since I was just a little kid.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

funny, Anne, we're the same age (give or take a couple of months), and I remember the show fairly well...mainly because my mom and grandmother thought it was very funny, and a tad naughty. Ann B. Davis was 'Schultzie', Bob's right hand 'man', who had a strong yen for Bob, and thwarted his romantic adventures whenever possible, and Rosemary DeKamp was his sister, who scolded him about his chasing about after anything in skirts...except poor Schultzie. He was a free lance photographer, so got to photograph lots of gorgeous women. I thought the whole thing kind of silly, but one tv, and parents ruled. Imagine how surprised I was the first time I saw him in King's Row...and Saboteur...completely different person!