Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Leslie Howard on a rare outing with his wife Ruth

Robert Mitchum in a rare moment at home with wife Dorothy
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OOh! That Leslie Howard photo is fantastic! wow!
klondike

Post by klondike »

Shame Dorothy Mitchum's dress didn't come with a Vertical Hold knob - Bob might not be succumbing to motion sickness in this photo! :|
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:Shame Dorothy Mitchum's dress didn't come with a Vertical Hold knob - Bob might not be succumbing to motion sickness in this photo! :|
Oh, Klonny. Think back now. My reaction to this photo was a memory rush: about a zillion women who crossed my path in the 1950s who had dresses just like it. But you are certainly right in your assessment. The phrase "test pattern" was often applied used to describe such dresses.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

mongoII wrote:Image
Leslie Howard on a rare outing with his wife Ruth
I wonder who's sitting behind them, yet looking right into the camera. For some reason he reminds me of Miss Caswell's line, "Why do they always look like unhappy rabbits?"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, that is priceless Moraldo! He does look like an unhappy rabbit!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Lana Turner appears surprised when meeting Andy Warhol
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote:Image
Pals Elizabeth Taylor & Montgomery Clift hanging around the studio lot
Sorry I missed this one from several days ago, but when I backtracked over what I missed (gone this weekend attending a Rabbie Burns Supper), I spotted that jacket that Montie was wearing (weird, I seem to be in a wardrobe mood tonight :roll: . . ) and man, I thought William Hopper was the only actor guilty of skinning a couch . . . :x
Come to think of it, the era was just about right . . MC could have ducked onto the "Perry Mason" set and raided Bill's locker . . .
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hey, did I tell you my Andy Warhol story?

When his magazine Interview first appeared one summer, there he was (with an assistant) in the street (Wall Street, of all places), handing out free copies which he offered to autograph. Both he and his assistant were dressed so Preppie, they looked like hooky players from Choate. I was working a summer job at some bank or other, and I couldn't resist saying hello to Warhol. So I took a copy of Interview, and Warhol signed it and drew a little soup can on it. I asked him to make it out to my boyfriend at the time (it was his birthday). And as Warhol was signing and doodling, we had a very nice little conversation, and laughed, and parted friends. Despite his reputation for shyness and public reticence, I found him friendly, sweet and very charming.

Me and the boyfriend broke up after a few months, and I don't know what happened to Warhol's autograph. If this guy had any smarts at all (not a given), he sold it for big bucks, but I have my doubts.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JANUARY 26th. BIRTHDAYS

MARY MURPHY is 79 today

JOAN LESLIE is 85 today

ANNE JEFFREYS is 87 today

WILLIAM REDFIELD (1927 - 1976)

PAUL NEWMAN (1925 - 2008)

JACKIE MORAN (1923 - 1990)

VITO SCOTTI (1918 - 1996)

WILLIAM HOPPER (1915 - 1970)

WILLIAM PRINCE (1913 - 1996)

CHARLES LANE (1905 - 2007)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Nice story, Judith. It's too bad you didn't get Warhol to sign and doodle another one for you. Apparently in a good mood he would have been obliging. Who knew?
Joseph Goodheart
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Guys - anyone wanna press the limits of Joan Leslie's tolerance for bad behavior? Boy... and that's not even a fiercely raised eyebrow! I can just imagine what happened when she showed fangs!

I realize so many of these photos were staged, but they show such an incredible range of facial expressions, and so many are absolutely beautiful creatures. But such a range of emotions, too...
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I never realized how much Richard Gere looks like William Hopper...at least in that photo.
B
klondike

Post by klondike »

You know, Birdy, despite my years of Hopper fandom, I never happened to notice that resemblence, but you're right it's definitely there, and likely more pronounced in the first couple years of "Perry Mason".