*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by pvitari »

Are you sure that's John Payne? There's a resemblance but it really doesn't look like him to me. Just wondering.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Paul Picerni, perhaps? He was also in HELL'S ISLAND.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

ChiO, definitely looks more like Paul Picerni to me. Anyone else think it's Picerni?

Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I was wondering if Marla English was ever arrested for stealing Vivien Leigh's eyes.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Marla does have Leigh's eyes and eyebrows, but the man on the scooter I believe is an older John Payne.

Just saw TCM show the great ANN DORAN speak of doing a scene with James Dean in "Rebel..." I've got to imdb her to see if she's still with us. I just heard her voice and almost broke my neck running to the tv set to see her.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:( Oh...

ANN DORAN ( 1911 - 2000 )

I wonder if TCM has a complete interview with her.

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Robert Mitchum sweeps his jail cell after getting busted for marijuana in 1948.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Harry James and Betty Grable with daughters Victoria and Jessica
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JANE WYMAN (1917 - 2007)

GEORGE REEVES (1914 - 1959)

JEAN-PIERRE AUMONT (1911 - 2001)
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote::( Oh...

ANN DORAN ( 1911 - 2000 )

I wonder if TCM has a complete interview with her.
Theresa, I LOVE Ann Doran too. I even wished that Cary Grant could have fallen in love with her instead of Irene Dunne in Penny Serenade--though, as usual, she played the heroine's best gal-pal. I suspect that the TCM Archives does have a longer interview with her, but I also believe that the Harry Ransom Center at the Univ. of Texas has a massive oral history collection with actors from the studio era (and I bet that the Texas-born Ann would have been a person that they interviewed for their Film and Television Archival collection). I'd also love to see what is found at the Margaret Herrick Library at AMPAS and those resources held at UCLA. The UCLA Film & Television Archive has done quite a bit of work on the restoration of films made by Columbia Pictures in recent years. In part due to the fact that Doran worked a great deal at Columbia during its heyday in A and B pictures as well as in Screen Gems television at that studio, I would guess they also have material about her. Doran was very active in SAG during her long career, so I bet they have tons of info about her too.

If we only had time and the access to these facilities--but we would probably have to get scholarly credentials to unlock those doors--and, unfortunately, it is not available digitally on the internet for the most part either.

BTW, the book, "The Making of Rebel Without a Cause" by Douglas Rathgeb has quite a bit about Doran in her role in that Nicholas Ray film.

As you may know, Ann replaced Marsha Hunt in the role as James Dean's shrill, clueless and emasculating mother--perhaps in part due to the blacklist that Hunt found herself on as her reputation was being smeared throughout Hollywood thanks to those fearmongers publishing Red Channels in the '50s. In the press at the time the change of casting was described as a scheduling issue for Hunt (who also may have found the role as written a bit too caricatured), but Ann, whose activities tended toward the conservative side of the political landscape, was easy to work with (she reportedly wore saddle shoes around the set under that evening gown she wore in that opening scene in the police station). She and Backus had fun together, and Ann and he received minimal directions for their quasi-hysterical characters, perhaps intentionally, enhancing the actors's insecurities and infusing their roles' two-dimensionality with an understandably perplexed impatience and anxiety in the scenes where they interacted with their son.

I've always found the adults in the film to be a bit too slickly and superficially portrayed. I like to think that Ann and Ed Platt as the police psychiatrist were fooling around on the side, but that's just me! I guess that the flatness of the adults might have been because Ray wanted the audience to view the story from the adolescent POV. Douglas Rathgeb implied that the longtime professional actors playing the parents were probably not willing or able to approach their roles with the Method verve of the young people around them but Ann was said to have formed a bond with James Dean. The young star asked her to rehearse in his dressing room--though Ann asked that they please practice their scenes outside after she detected the pungent smell of marijuana. Off the set, Dean, whose mother had died when he was age 9, sought out the actress, showing up in the middle of the night at her doorstep, yelling "Mom, Mom...it's your son, Jimmy." Ann let the youth in, and sat in her kitchen with him until dawn, as he poured out his troubles to her. He visited the actress "several times before leaving for Texas" where he was filming Giant. It sure sounds like Ann was a decent, sympathetic person in real life. Wish she could be a SoTM sometime--along with many other character actors.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Vincent Price gets notorious with Alfred Hitchcock
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Bette Davis & Joan Crawford are fresh as daisies standing beside Jean Hersholt
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

It's no wonder the Academy's Humanitarian Award is named after Jean Hersholt, if he can stand between these feisty dames and keep their battles at bay...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Theresa, I LOVE Ann Doran too. I even wished that Cary Grant could have fallen in love with her instead of Irene Dunne in Penny Serenade--though, as usual, she played the heroine's best gal-pal..." - MOIRA FINNIE

:D Hi Moira...thanx so much for that information. WoW!!! I love me some big-named movie stars...but it's those character actors that sometimes gets my heart to pumpin' becuz they seem so real...so constant throughout the thread of movies. Do you think Ray also didn't give her and Backus much direction because they were old pros at all this? I'm sure she started out as a young actress with bigger dreams of a more...sterling career. But I've seen her in small parts in so many movies. I thought she was a gem. And she's got one of the most distinctive voices too.

Close your eyes. Can you hear her? Sure you can.

Really, thanxx again for the info on her.

And by the by...if you have ANY clout with the big-wigs over at TCM, you should tell them for the film festival to book MARSHA HUNT. I understand she was a big one for fashion...and a talk with her about her career and the Hollywood of back then could fill a movie theatre with adoring fans. Thanx.

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
CAPUCINE (1928 - 1990)

DANNY THOMAS (1914 - 1991)

LORETTA YOUNG (1913 - 2000)

TOM MIX (1880 - 1940)

I always love it when an unexpected story comes my way. On our way home from Tucson last week, we decided to take the back highway Route 79. Sharon was telling me about a monument for a cowboy actor who died along that particular stretch of road. His name was Tom Mix and he was known as “The King of Cowboys”.

Thomas Edwin Mix was born on January 6, 1880 into a poor logging family in Mix Run, Pennsylvania. He spent his youth riding horses and working on a local farm. His days were consumed with thoughts of being in the circus as a knife thrower. He was rumored to use his sister to assist while he practiced throwing knives against a wall. But life would take him in another direction as an American film actor in many early Western movies. Between 1910 and 1935, he chalked up a staggering 336 films, some of which were silent movies. He was respected and revered by many of the famous cowboys to follow such as John Wayne.

Mix enrolled in the Army on April of 1898 during the Spanish-American War. He married Grace I. Allin on July 18, 1902 and during his time off, he did not return back to duty. In November of 1902, he was listed as AWOL but never court-martialed or even discharged from the Army. After a year of marriage to Grace, they got an annulment. He turned around and married a woman named Kitty but this marriage only lasted a year as well. On January 10, 1909, he married again, this time to Olive Stokes.

After several years of different jobs while living in the Oklahoma Territory, he was hired at a 101,000 acre ranch known as the Miller Brothers 101 Ranch. He stood out as a skilled marksman and accomplished rider. In 1909 he won the National Riding and Rodeo Championship. A year later, he did his first movie in a supporting role showing off his cattle roping talents. Mix became an instant star and two years later a father when his wife Olive gave birth to their daughter, Ruth. Over the course of five years he was in over 100 movies, many with an actress named Victoria Forde. He became infatuated with her, fell in love, and divorced Olive.

By the 1920’s, he was in over 160 matinees that many would head to the theatre to escape from reality for a while. By 1929, he finished his last silent picture and at the age of 49 he was ready to hang up his spurs for good. Later that same year he was a pallbearer at the funeral of Wyatt Earp where it was rumored that he wept openly.

There were reports that on the day of October 12, 1940, Mix was driving his 1937 Cord 812 Phaeton on Arizona State Route 79 when his life came to a tragic end. After pausing at the Oracle Junction Inn, a well-liked gambling and drinking place, he called his agent, hopped in his car and headed on his way. They say he was moving at 80 mph when he hit the construction barriers near where a bridge was washed away by a flood. He couldn’t break in time, swerved his car, rolled twice into a gully, and was trapped beneath the car. In the back seat behind him was a large aluminum suitcase with lots of money, traveler’s check and jewels. The suitcase bolted forward hitting him in the head, breaking his neck and crushing his skull. Mix died instantly at the age of 60.

Along State Route 79 and marking the location where Mix died is a small stoned marker. The gully his car landed in is now named, “Tom Mix Wash”. On the stone marker is a plaque which reads, “In memory of Tom Mix whose spirit left his body on this spot and whose characterization and portrayals in life served to better fix memories of the old West in the minds of living men”.

Joseph Goodheart