*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by JackFavell »

Certainly Pappy cultivated a whole crop of stronger, brighter, bigger performers, but I often think that his "back pocket" discoveries - men like Ben Johnson, Woody Strode, Dobie Carey, Terry Wilson, & McGrath - form a deeper legacy, one built of truer, more quiet men.
You really 'get' it, Klonny. I love what you wrote.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Charlton Heston & Sophia Loren share some cake on the set of "El Cid"
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

James Cagney picking up pointers for his movie "Picture Snatcher"
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I LOVE Picture Snatcher. Cagney's energy was so electric throughout the film. Still, my favorite scene comes when Jimmy is all alone hiding out in an apartment. He walks across the living room for some reason I can't recall, and just because he's a little bored, he's alone with no one to see him and because he's Cagney, he did a small twirling dance step to get from the couch to the mantle. It's hard to think of another actor who could do such a thing with such off hand, inconsequential grace. Just Jimmy's way of making a prosaic moment memorable.

Thanks for finding that interesting picture of Mr. C. doing his homework for his part.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:I LOVE Picture Snatcher. Cagney's energy was so electric throughout the film. Still, my favorite scene comes when Jimmy is all alone hiding out in an apartment. He walks across the living room for some reason I can't recall, and just because he's a little bored, he's alone with no one to see him and because he's Cagney, he did a small twirling dance step to get from the couch to the mantle. It's hard to think of another actor who could do such a thing with such off hand, inconsequential grace. Just Jimmy's way of making a prosaic moment memorable.

Thanks for finding that interesting picture of Mr. C. doing his homework for his part.
I agree Moira. It's a snappy Precoder I discovered recently and what a treat it is! Cagney's always top-notch.
klondike

Post by klondike »

feaito wrote:
I agree Moira. It's a snappy Precoder I discovered recently and what a treat it is! Cagney's always top-notch.
Couldn't have said it better, Fernando; Cagney always had that little umph and spark that put him, & often his co-stars, up over the top, even in some real plodders, whether he was growling-down one of Pat O'Briens cheerful tirades in Torrid Zone, or plotting vengeance over his Tabascoed ham dinner in The St. Louis Kid, or horsing around with Bet Davis in The Bride Came C.O.D..
Whatever the script, no matter how small or uninspiring, Jim always had the camera "right by the ears" (as he once said somewhere), and never let-go til he was finished!
feaito

Post by feaito »

klondike wrote:
feaito wrote:
Couldn't have said it better, Fernando; Cagney always had that little umph and spark that put him, & often his co-stars, up over the top, even in some real plodders, whether he was growling-down one of Pat O'Briens cheerful tirades in Torrid Zone, or plotting vengeance over his Tabascoed ham dinner in The St. Louis Kid, or horsing around with Bet Davis in The Bride Came C.O.D..
Whatever the script, no matter how small or uninspiring, Jim always had the camera "right by the ears" (as he once said somewhere), and never let-go til he was finished!
Yes sir! Have yet to see Bride Came C.O.D.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 3rd. BIRTHDAYS

SHELLEY BERMAN is 84 today

RUSSELL ARMS is 90 today

VICTOR BUONO (1938 - 1982)

SUZAN BALL (1934 - 1955)

PEGGY ANN GARNER (1932 - 1984)

JOEY BISHOP (1918 - 2007)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 3rd. 1959...

Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The Barrymore Clan: Prominent members seated are Lionel and wife Irene, Ethel with pet, John with wife Dolores Costello and children
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

I bet that the baby in John Barrymore's arms is John Drew Barrymore, Drew Barrymore's father, who was born in 1932.

No wonder about Drew Barrymore's talents, with such ancestors and relatives as John Barrymore, Dolores Costello, Maurice Costello, Helene Costello, Lionel Barrymore, Ethel Barrymore, Maurice Blythe Barrymore, John Drew....how impressive!!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Jane Wyman and Ronald Reagan afternoon delight
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

FEBRUARY 4th. BIRTHDAYS

GARY CONWAY is 74 today

CONRAD BAIN is 87 today

COLLIN WILCOX (1935 - 2009)