An Answer to a question

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

An Answer to a question

Post by mrsl »

A few weeks ago, someone asked why some of us re-watch certain movies over and over several times. I looked for it but couldn't find that thread. The person asking got several good answers back, but this past week has been a great example of why I re-watch.

Some of my favorite, and least favorite actors have been featured this past week. I've said before that IMO neither Kim Novak nor Doris Day could act their way out of a paper bag. They each have done one or two movies that I liked a lot, such as Calamity Jane and Picnic, I admit Kim adds more to the beauty of a movie than Doris, but that is a different story. Anyway, I got to see With Six you get Eggroll, which I classify with Doris' 'silly movies', along with The Glass Bottomed Boat, and Caprice (and also which I confused with My Six Loves, a Debbie Reynolds - much better similar film). Another waste of time, money, and electricity(W6YGER). However, I did get to enjoy Brian Keith. I thought he was great in everything he did. As for Young at Heart, what did the teenage girls see in Frank Sinatra? He was so skinny, as to be kind of repulsive, like a living skeleton. The main thing I noticed watching Teacher's Pet this time around was how old Clark Gable was, and so totally wrong for the part. As a kid when I saw it, Gable was still a spectacular star and you didn't notice the human aspects of him. But seeing him this week, at the same age I am right now, he should have been shot for trying to palm himself off as charming, and attractive. Especially when you stand him next to youth like Gig Young and Doris.

Greer Garson, who I adore, can play anything as was proven this week. I know her films so well, but I am still drawn into sitting and watching when she is on screen, but now I can pull away from her and enjoy some of her co-stars. Marsha Hunt, who I also love, was adorable in Pride and Prejudice, as the shy, near-sighted, rather Plain Jane. I never noticed her mannerisms before in trying to see something more than two feet away from her (squinting her eyes, and wrinkling her nose). Then as Connie in Valley of Decision, she was perfect first as the spoiled only daughter and then the spoiled Countess but always sweet and appealing. If that stupid HUAC hadn't blacklisted her, who knows what heights she might have achieved.

Finally, M'Lady Agnes Moorhead. You can't say enough about this lady. She didn't belong with the funny Eve Ardens, and Una Merkels, nor the serious mother roles, but wherever they put her, she fit like a glove. So wonderful as the flighty Aspacia in Mrs. Parkington.

In case you didn't get it, the reason I re-watch so much is after seeing the stars do their thing in these wonderful movies, you start looking at the supporting cast and learn to admire those equally wonderful actors who add so much fun, vigor, animosity, and pity to the stars roles you love.

Agreements/Arguments, anyone?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
inglis

Post by inglis »

Hi Anne !
I love certain movies over and over .You mentioned Wit Six You Get Egg Roll.Thats one of my favorite movies with Doris day .I loved the time it was made in and alot of these movies I watched with my Mom. My Mom is gone now but for me watching alot of these movies brings me comfort that I can't find elsewhere.Mrs Miniver is another .I watched it the other day again for the upteenth time more than that at least.I can't not watch that movie when it comes on .The whole thing of that time and how people stuck together in very difficult times .My Mom was a teenager during the second world war in Scotland and she told me many stories of her life then and the movies she saw .This one( Mrs Miniver ) was one of her favorites.Gilda is another one that I can never get enough of. The head flip and the way her hair goes when she comes up to see Johnny Glen Ford)for the first time again .You know right away there is history with these two .There are so many magic moments in films that make you happy and want to experience those feelings again and again. Good thread Anne
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Well put, Anne. I am drawn to character actors. After seeing my favorite films countless times, I begin looking at all of the other actor's performances. One of these days, I'll be able to recite everyone's lines. And in movies with stars that I either dislike or are indifferent to, the character actors can easily save the movie for me.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Inglis:

I can easily understand liking a certain movie because of the circumstances, or the person I saw it with the first time. Seeing particular movies with your Mom, I'm sure make the movie priceless to you. (I hope I didn't hurt any feelings by saying I didn't like it.)

This hadn't occurred to me before, but for those who dislike August so much because of the '24 hour - one star' thing, maybe you could use the movies to explore those great portrayals by the supporting actors.

Anne
Anne

Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I like watching my favourite films again, because sometimes it's nice to be on firm ground. You know pretty much what is going to happen, and wait for your favourite moments instead. Really great movies can stand being watched over several times, because you notice more and more details that eluded you on the first viewing when you were focusing more on the plot. I agree with Anne, I also start noticing the supporting cast instead of the stars, and start worrying about those characters, their lives and so on. And I notice nuances in all the actor's performances, that I hadn't seen before. I might start looking at the story in a completely different way.

Films I can watch over and over include Casablanca, Night of the Hunter, Dr Strangelove and Cabaret, The Phantom Carriage, Edward Scissorhands and the best Fred and Ginger films. Actually, I have a lot of favourite movies. I can't name all of them.
vallo

Post by vallo »

Alot of the reasons I watch films over and over IS because of the Character Actors in the film. Robert Osborne mentioned this about the Fred & Ginger films shown Saturday. Characters like Eric Blore and Edward Everett Horton make the simple films alot better with their banter.
Imagine "My Man Godfrey" without Alice Brady or Misha Auer. Or some of Bogart films without Lorre or Allen Jenkins. I think that is what's missing in Todays movies is the lack of (good) Characters, to keep you interested. After re-watching a film a fews times I start looking in the back ground for things/dialog I might of missed in the first showing. Certain films I may of hated the first time around usually get better after a few showings. (sometimes)...

Bill
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I agree with Synnove, I like being on "fim ground" now and then. I love to watch for my favorite character actors, or a favorite song. Just watched Singin in the Rain last night for my favorite song "You Were Meant for Me", and to see Gene splash thru the puddles. Another thing that attracts me is looking at the sets, like the mind-blowing 30's Art Deco decor of the Fred and Ginger movies. Her billowing dresses just fit with the huge, airy sets.

I started a thread a long time ago, asking what stars will cause you to watch a less than stellar movie. Anne, your thread really expands that question. Thanks for asking!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm going to hi-jack my own thread to respond to you again knitwit, because hopefully I did respond to you previously. In my case I will watch anything one of my favorites is in. That covers a whole range of people male and female, from the 30's Bogies, to todays' Benjamin Bratts. I will watch anything they are in because I know whatever it is, those guys will make it good, no matter what the story, plot, or co-star. I've followed Ben Bratt since his Law and Order days to movies, back to TV, back to movies, and back again now to TV. Anything he does is improved with his being part of it. He is superb in his TV show The Cleaner.

I've never warmed to Edward G. Robinson, but when I see Bogie in the credits, I will watch. That is how I watched Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, because of Margaret O'Brien.

Anne
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What did you think of "Vines"? I'm not an Eddie G fan, either, but he was so good in the role of the Norwegian papa.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It was a wonderful movie, Eddie G and Agnes were so good and believable, and of course little Margaret was spectacular. But as good as Eddie G was, sorry, but I only warmed up to him for that movie, and again years later for Soylent Green. In so many movies he played a supposedly nice guy, but later in the film it comes out that he was a rat at one time or another.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I like watching movies again for a variety of reasons. Mostly I rewatch comedies. It is often the performances in them because once you know the joke there is no surprise but they are often clever enough that I get a kick out of seeing them again.

I also like to watch westerns again. It's usually because of a good story and the action. There are few dramas.

I love introducing my kids to these movies. For some movies it is all about watching their reactions and a chance to talk about it after the movie. (Well, they're not kids. They are 17 and 21.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Vienna

Re: An Answer to a question

Post by Vienna »

Nice thread . I just think, by their very nature, favorite films are the ones you can watch more than once. That' s what great about DVD collections. It 's comforting to know these films are sitting on the shelves just waiting to be enjoyed again. It may be 6 months, a year, two years, but you know you will always come back to them depending on your mood of the moment.
And if you can remember what it was like before video and DVD, they are all the more precious.