THE MENS ROOM

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Pixel" a derivative was used by the two old ladies in "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town." Everyone was "pixelated." Guilty.

Moira:

Thanks for the pics on Hedy. It got my heart started.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Metry_Road wrote:Uh-oh! carefull fellas, Moira is Moderating. Watch your mouths, and no dirty pictures.

"Dignity, always dignity"

You can trust us Moira......... Honest!
Good idea, Metry, old Friend, and well said; but just for the sake of community spirit, allow me please to clarify . .
Should there be any unacceptable naughtiness of content posted here (which I really do not anticipate), the first Moderator you would most likely deal with is Yours Truly, as I volunteered to actively monitor this thread on a daily basis, when it first started.
Which is not to say that Moira, and Lynn & Chris, won't be stopping in from time to time, and perhaps even comment or contibute, just that I'm on regular watch all the rest of the time . . that's all.
So, carry on, one & all, and let's admire those forms divine. 8)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Since I have no idea of how to post photos here, I wonder if someone could post side-by-side photos of Hedy Lamar and Vivien Leigh, both with flowing hair. The reason is this. Hedy was far lovelier than Vivien, one year younger and already working in Hollywood when the search for Scarlett started. I know every woman in H'wood tried out for the part, I wonder if Hedy did. I would really like to have a side-by-side twosome to investigate, and I think the guys could handle it. Scarlett was supposed to be so pretty and desirable that all the men wanted her, and I think Vivien's looks were kind of hard and rather stern, whereas Hedy was softer.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ok, here they are side by side. I tried to pick "like" pics. It was difficult because Vivien loves to look down, and Hedy has her head up or thrown back most often. Also, Vivien's photos seem full of light while Hedy's are darker. But, after looking at both, I guess that is the difference between pretty and beautiful!

They certainly could be sisters. Too bad they never made a movie together!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks a lot Garboman:

Do you agree that Hedy could easily have beat out Vivien if someone had thought of it? Do you think it was Hedy's accent that kept her out of the running? Now, I see the 'glow' differently. To me, Hedy seems lighter, while Vivien is in darker tones. That last set of photos is perfect though, they even have the same hair-do in those, with the part in the middle. Thanks again.

Anne
Anne

Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, of course! We all know MGM had NO IDEA what to do with her, and most people think it was because of her beauty, but you and I know it was her accent. The American public like the exotic at that time, but they did like their American Pie, and Hedy wasn't it. Funny, Vivien could pull off the accent here in the USA, so she won the hearts of the American public.

I remember reading someone long ago who slammed Hedy for never ridding herself of that Austrian accent that in the beginning made her so alluring.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You can never get entirely rid of an accent because it's how you learn to speak. Although you may learn in a different language, certain letters and sounds are permanent to your voice. It's like trying to make a left handed baby use his right hand. It has nothing to do with his hand, the command comes from his brain. It's just as I said though, Zanuck could have saved himself a lot of headaches if he had just looked in his own back yard.

Anne
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:You can never get entirely rid of an accent because it's how you learn to speak. Although you may learn in a different language, certain letters and sounds are permanent to your voice. It's like trying to make a left handed baby use his right hand. It has nothing to do with his hand, the command comes from his brain.
Anne
Not to hijack this thread to far afield, but . . Anne, I think you're dead on for this one. And I also think it emphasizes the differences between a foreign language & a regional dialect . . . an origin in the first gives your English an accent, whereas being grounded in the latter gives your English an inflection . . and sometimes quite a strong one!
Probably the best example I can think of for an accent intruding on an actor's role is Christopher Lambert (whose name's correctly pronounced kriss-sto-fay lahm-bayr) in the original Highlander; in playing a character being born & raised in Medieval Scotland, then globetrotting as a mysterious immortal for over 300 years, and then dwelling incognito in the northeastern US for nearly a century, that thick, pallative Parisienne French accent was very nearly ludicrous!
The worst moment was during his climactic duel with rival immortal Clancy Brown, when he snarled over their locked sabres: "In dee and, dair kahn be . . only WAHHN!" {Still love that film, though! :roll: }
I still like to riff on that line for my MacLeod acquaintainces at Highland games - it really makes them bristle! :wink: :twisted: :wink:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Well now, let's expand this and compared Joan Bennett and Paulette Goddard. Both of these ladies were the finalists in the great search, with Paulette the favourite of David O.....

When Hedy came to town, Joan went brunette and resembled her quite nicely.
I don't think Hedy Lamarr actually was interested in the Scarlett role; I've never heard her name come up for it and we've all heard that even Tallulah was interested.

Further expansion:
As you all may or may not know, I have always championed Maureen O'Sullivan and Patricia Medina to have had bigger & better roles.
Let's compare them also along with the other ladies.

Let's have some fun and thanks Anne for starting this!!! Or should I say: "See what you started!!"......

Larry
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sounds good Larry, but I don't want to hi-jack this thread.

I'll start one and see if anyone runs with it.

Anne
Anne

melwalton

accents

Post by melwalton »

ANNE

Right on, you hit the nail squarely on the head about losing an accent.
I would have sworn I lost mine but Ive been to NY twice in the last fifty some years, just to change planes, and people still ask me what part of Brooklyn I'm from.
Actually, I was raised in the Bronx. ... mel
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Just to get us back on track, here is Jean Harlow from Red-Headed Woman:

Metry_Road

Kathleen Byron

Post by Metry_Road »

Kathleen Byron 1923-2009

Regards

Metairie Road
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »