THE MENS ROOM

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Professional Tourist

Re: THE MENS ROOM

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

You might be interested to know that Agnes Moorehead and Greer Garson were very good friends for years. And, Agnes would not have been her friend if Garson was a uppitty, snotty snob!

Actually, Garson looks a bit like a porcelain statue in those pictures and that could be the photographers lighting...

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I think that Greer Garson came along at a time when a studio contract meant that a certain persona would be attached to you for publicity. I don't think that the roles she played were necessarily her choice, but perhaps she did the best she could with them. Given her coloring and aristocratic bearing, (and L.B. Mayer's reported infatuation with her--not to mention Howard Strickling) the Grand Lady parts came her way--but, my favorite part of Mrs. Miniver (1942) is not any of the false nobility that you may remember, but when Clem (Walter Pidgeon) gives her bottom a wallop! I also like Madame Curie (1943) as well for the development of the relationship between the two actors in that film as well as the way that a scientific discovery is portrayed. Maybe it wasn't entirely realistic, but Madame Curie had an optimism about human progress that I'd like to hang to right now. Besides Pidgeon and Garson form a believable kinship with mutual respect in their partnership that is quite touching, at least to me.

However, my favorite Garson roles are Random Harvest (1942) and Julia Misbehaves (1948).
Not that it would be difficult to be sympathetic to Ronald Colman as Smithy, but in the first half of Random Harvest her character is playful, funny and believable as a knockabout girl in the theater (even if her wardrobe is to die for) does a fine imitation of Harry Lauder as seen above in the kilt. In Julia Misbehaves she again returns to music hall roots as a Margery Sharp character from the enjoyable book, The Nutmeg Tree. I wish that Garson had played more Sharp characters, especially since this one gave her a chance to play a character closer to her actual age. They seemed to suit her.

Here she is helping a disoriented Ronald Colman on Armistice Day and strutting her stuff on stage in Random Harvest:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

I always forget how much I love Greer until I see her again. Whether it is Goodbye Mr. Chips, Pride and Prejudice, Random Harvest, Mrs. Parkington, Valley of Decision, or Julia Misbehaves, I am always glad to see her. In an ocean of channels, wondering what to watch, I can always rest on her when she is on. She calms me. She bring a beauty to each performance. I love her stateliness and her genuine presentation of her characters.

It's funny, but more and more as I get older, I want to put her in my top five actresses. I don't know why she was never there.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Garbomaniac wrote:...I don't know why she was never there.
I agree. I probably avoided her films for my first decades of film watching but she's become a wonderful 'discovery' to me in the last decade or so, but so have many others. I fear my Collection-itis isn't getting any better just because I've snagged "all available films" from her and many others.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Garbomaniac wrote:I always forget how much I love Greer until I see her again. Whether it is Goodbye Mr. Chips, Pride and Prejudice, Random Harvest, Mrs. Parkington, Valley of Decision, or Julia Misbehaves, I am always glad to see her. In an ocean of channels, wondering what to watch, I can always rest on her when she is on. She calms me. She bring a beauty to each performance. I love her stateliness and her genuine presentation of her characters.

It's funny, but more and more as I get older, I want to put her in my top five actresses. I don't know why she was never there.
Well, my friend, this photo is to me a perfect exempla of what I've said about Garson. The arched brows, the widened eyes, the slightly flared nostrils and just a hint of a curl to the upper lip: she looks like she just passed the open door of a gas-station bathroom, but doesn't want to make a fuss about how bad it looks and smells.

The lady just doesn't do anything for me, and I simply do not like Mrs. Miniver, the character or the film, and never will.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ok, Judith, enough of the illustrious Garson! Another British actress I discovered later in life, Ollie, is the beautious Madeleine Carroll! I just find her captivating. I haven't seen many of her films, but some of my favorites are 39 Steps, The General Died at Dawn, Lloyd's of London, On the Avenue, and The Prisoner of Zenda. One I would like to see cause she has Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. (one of my top guys) as her co-star is Safari.

Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Hey, PT! I found this great pic on the Internet. I don't know if you have it. But, here it is.

Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

Female anatomy

Part 1

Feet

…But I love your feet
only because they walked
upon the earth and upon
the wind and upon the waters,
until they found me.

Pablo Neruda
Chilean poet and Nobel Lauriate

Wonderfull café scene from ‘A Farewell To Arms’ (1932). With Gary Cooper, Adolph Menjou and an unknown foot.

I do not know your name my dear, but your foot will live in my memory forever.

Gary Cooper again! And Barbara Stanwyck in ‘Ball Of Fire” (1941). She knew just how to touch a man’s er…. soft spot.

Gary Cooper again!! Memories.

Stanley Kubrick’s homage to beautiful feet – Lolita (1962)

[youtube][/youtube]

Et Dieu... Créa Brigitte Bardot(1956)

French barefoot princess.

[youtube][/youtube]

Don’t miss Part 2 – Legs

Metairie Road
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm not a big fan of feet, Metry, but it's a nice array, and it made me think of this one:

Marian Marsh in Svengali (the feet part starts about 2:17) "The most beautiful foot in Paris . . . . And there's only one other like it!"

[youtube][/youtube]

Of course, the most obvious foot-themed movie to come to my mind is The Horse's Mouth, but there isn't very much cheesecake in that one.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh my gosh, PT! Agnes looks like QUITE a BABE in that get up. Whew! She could easily hoodwink me! The little racketeer.

And, Metry, I really liked the feet pics. Ha! Quite an imagination you have! The FEET? Well, it worked.