The Women's Room

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
metsfan

Re: The Women's Room

Post by metsfan »

Thanks to all for your kindness. When talking of silliness, I have to be on top. I'm most definitely an alien because I don't seem to fit in this world. Everyone says I'm strange. :lol:

Humphrey Bogart
William Powell
Alan Ladd
John Wayne
Warner Baxter
Robert Donat
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

That is a great photoshop of Garbo and Mason. In 1949, Garbo came out of retirement to do a screen test for La Duchesse de Langeais, a project produced by Walter Wanger and co-starring James Mason. The funding fell through, and it never happened. The failed film's director, Max Ophuls, said, "A pity forever! That would have become a huge success."

That is a picture of Garbo from Two-Faced Woman with Melvyn Douglas who has been cleverly replaced with James Mason.

Love that photoshop!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Ophuls directing Garbo. That would have been too good to be true...and I guess it was. (Pardon my temporary invasion of the sanctuary. I got lost.)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

[quote="metsfan"]Thanks to all for your kindness. When talking of silliness, I have to be on top. I'm most definitely an alien because I don't seem to fit in this world. Everyone says I'm strange. :lol: [quote=''metsfan'']

Metsfan, it's all right I don't want to fit into this world. I'd rather live on the edge of it, dip my toe in now and again but for the most part keep myself aloof from it. :wink:

Love the James Mason pics
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh, my head spins when I think of what might have been for Garbo. But, on the other hand, I am so thankful she STOPPED when she did. It suited her perfectly. That way we all can speculate, dream, and treasure what she did do. I have to admit I thought Two-Faced Woman a disaster. It should never have been made, and they should have had the foresight to know they were heading straight toward the end of the road.

And, yes, I am sure that one of Mason and Gardner is legit, as well. Mason was superb in it, and Ava never looked more beautiful. There is a clip on TCM where they show brief clips of close ups of stars one after another. The one they chose for Ava was from that film when she turns and looks straight into the camera in magnificent TECHNICOLOR! I know it really isn't technicolor, but I don't have any idea what to call it. She takes my breath away each time I see that clip.

And, as for living on the edge of the world dipping your toe in every now and then, I think many of us on these forums agree wholeheartedly. I go to work and deal with the problems of the world, and then I come home to the GOLDEN AGE (which I use as a loose metaphor for all the old films from the silents to the 60's) and lose myself in the glamour and beauty that once was. Although, as a man, I watch the films primarily for the female stars, I appreciate no end the value of the male contribution. That is one reason I started this thread. Too many times the guys get overlooked by Davis, Hepburn, Garbo, Harlow, Hayworth, Gardner, Shearer, Dietrich, Colbert, Garson, Loy, et al. I really liked the addition of Mason. He has always been a big favorite of mine, but I have to admit I had forgotten him until he found his place here among the other great guys. Nice addition, and here is another one, Nils Asther.

And, ChiO, I am not familiar with any of Ophuls' films, but two I would really like to see are Letter From An Unknown Woman and The Exile.
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote: (Pardon my temporary invasion of the sanctuary. I got lost.)
ChiO, that one was wearing thin when I caught you cutting calculus, and it's sounding pretty darn weak this time! :?
If I catch you in here again without a hall pass, it's straight to Ms. Finnie's office for you!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Um, Klonnie, what are YOU doing in here?????????
klondike

Post by klondike »

Why, protecting you Fair Damsels from Chicago attorneys & other fast-swimming predators!
Now, if you'll excuse me, Madame K, I need to go patrol the SSO cafeteria with my CDC-trained Malamute, and make sure there's no expired baloney being served!
We've already checked the Administrators' Office, and there's nothing to worry about there except grade-A ham! :mrgreen:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Who protects us from the protectors ??? Just leave the dog here,Prince Valiant.....
charliechaplinfan

Chio, Letter From An Unknown Woman has had a release here. Here's the link, I can vouch for it, it's a brilliant movie.

Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

(Just swimming by while Klondike's back is turned.)

I have seen Letter from an Unknown Woman and all of his films that followed...and none of the films that preceded it except Liebelai. The mere thought of Garbo sweeping into the room while Ophuls is sweeping around it starts to bring on the waterworks....

(Leaving now to find the slow little fish elsewhere.)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

The award for being just too, too handsome

ImageImage

I wish I had the skill to make them bigger.
charliechaplinfan

Another who was too handsome