WILLIAM WELLMAN

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: WILLIAM WELLMAN

Post by JackFavell »

Nothing Sacred is one of those movies that I grew to like very much, the subsequent viewings are always better and better. Good to know that we have a decent print to look forward to.

I can't bear seeing this one and A Star is Born so faded and drab looking, when they were so obviously meant to shine and sparkle. I can't imagine what Wellman or any of the hundreds of people who worked on the films and the set designers would think coming back today to watch their films all choked of life due to age and grime over the years.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You know, I wonder if they could even imagine their films are being watched fifty, sixty...seventy - eighty years later... THAT would be the wonderment. Imagine something you've done today being looked at or thought and written about in 2062.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Like this message board? :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I hear that Bill Wellman, Jr is working on another book about his dad. I don't have any details but I've heard this from a couple of different sources!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awesome news, Lynn!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for that information Lynn.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm not an expert on this director's work, but some wonderful films have been mentioned. I'll reiterate the haunting OXBOW INCIDENT, the elegant comedy, NOTHING SACRED, the sharp and exciting YELLOW SKY, and with all respect to Mr. Cukor, the very best version of the oft told STAR IS BORN. It's one of our great melodramas.
feaito

Post by feaito »

During the weekend I watched a very interesting and rousing "Western" directed by Wellman at MGM: "Robin Hood of El Dorado" (1936) which tells the story of Mexican outlaw Joaquín Murrieta. There is a theory that states that Murrieta was born in the town of Quillota, in my country: Chile. :wink:

The prologue of the film states that this story is not based on fact, because Murrieta's life has been subject of many stories and is quite legendary. Warner Baxter stars as Murrieta, a peaceful, honest and decent man who was forced to become a bandit -in this version of the story- due to terribly painful circumstances caused by the "actions" of bad "gringos", who took over California after Mexico lost it to the USA.

Baxter is absolutely likable and heroic as Murrieta and one can't help feeling sorry for him all the way through the film and despising the bad "gringos".

Margo has a brief role as Murrieta's beloved and lovely wife; beautiful Ann Loring is the understanding, smart and dignified Señorita of the Ranch where Murrieta works as a "peón" when the story begins, and who later on....(I won't spoil it); J. Carrol Naish is a an unpleasant villain who at the same time is likable in a way, and becomes Murrieta's foremost admirer and later his sidekick. Bruce Cabot and Eric Linden are decent Americans who befriend Murrieta and his blind mother.

The movie has spectacular action scenes and is skillfully directed by Wellman. A very fine discovery and much better than I thought it would be.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really love this movie for a couple of reasons, Fer! One is that it's depiction of Murrieta is so sympathetic, and it's version of events seems way ahead of it's time, like something from the 60's or even the 70's. This is the only film Joseph Calleia wrote, in collaboration with Wellman and Melvin Levy. They really make a statement about race that stands up today. It's as non-stereotypical as one can get in 1936, although the format is pure 30's, especially the concentration on the dance numbers. I thought the folk music was lovingly presented and rather sad, as if something was passing by, being lost, and the filmmakers wanted to show how this music was important to the sense of community and background of the people, warning that we should not lose it. Baxter and Naish were great as always. I thought Margo was so lovely, it's a shock what happens. I really enjoyed the two good gringos who help Murrieta.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I had seen that title and thought it sounded like a Saturday serial. Good to know it has heart and substance.

Thanks for the review, you guys. It's on my list now!
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:I really love this movie for a couple of reasons, Fer! One is that it's depiction of Murrieta is so sympathetic, and it's version of events seems way ahead of it's time, like something from the 60's or even the 70's. This is the only film Joseph Calleia wrote, in collaboration with Wellman and Melvin Levy. They really make a statement about race that stands up today. It's as non-stereotypical as one can get in 1936, although the format is pure 30's, especially the concentration on the dance numbers. I thought the folk music was lovingly presented and rather sad, as if something was passing by, being lost, and the filmmakers wanted to show how this music was important to the sense of community and background of the people, warning that we should not lose it. Baxter and Naish were great as always. I thought Margo was so lovely, it's a shock what happens. I really enjoyed the two good gringos who help Murrieta.
I agree Wen, it does seem ahead of its time and it certainly doesn't look like the typical film produced by MGM in the 1930s; it has good production values, but it doesn't look glossy or overproduced and that is due to Wellman, who was an "independent" craftsman and no "studio"-director.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wellman always surprises me, he's a great favorite of mine now. I love his true grit ( not the movie, but a personality trait!)
feaito

Post by feaito »

I am also quite fond of him Wen.