WILLIAM WELLMAN

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Re: WILLIAM WELLMAN

Post by jdb1 »

Garbomaniac wrote:Feaito, The Oxbow Incident is one of the greatest films I have ever seen. I normally don't like Westerns, but this is not just a Western. It could have happened at any place at any time. It is set in a rural setting to bring home the common man side of the tale, but his masterful direction made it universal. He brought to the screen a heart-wrenching denominator anyone, anywhere could relate to. It is so powerful that I have only been able to watch it twice. It bothers me so much, man's inhumanity to man, that I can't shake it. The mere mention of the film brings to mind all the tormenting scenes and the final "justice" so unnecessary.
James, I'm so glad to hear you say that, about not being able to watch this great movie; I thought I was the only one. Even when I'm watching it, I begin to have feelings of dread about what's going to happen, hoping maybe this time, it won't. And Viva Harry Morgan!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I've never been able to watch the entire movie, it is so heartbreaking. I cannot watch Frank Conroy (Maj. Tetley) in any of his films, he stirs such revulsion in me. I have to look away when he's on screen, he is that creepy to me.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Isn't that funny how a role can pigeonhole you for the rest of your career? It is the same with me for Mary Nash. As a kid I saw her in Heidi. She was so wicked it took me years of watching her in sympathetic roles to realize she was just acting.

And, Judith, I feel the same way. That's why when it's on, I try to watch, but eventually put on GARBO! Ha! Just kidding. I'm not THAT much of a fanatic.

My favorite Wellman films are his lighter ones: Nothing Sacred, A Star is Born, and Lady of Burlesque. But, one film that stands out in my mind is The Light That Failed. I have never seen Ida Lupino in such an unattractive role. It reminded me of Davis in Of Human Bondage. I'm sure Wellman had a great deal to do with her vehemently vicious performance.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

My first exposure to Mary Nash was in Heidi, also. (I have to have a "Heidi-fix" about 2 times a year) Even now when I see her in a sympathetic role, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. When she batted the snowglobe out of Heidi's hands.....makes me see red just thinking about it!!! I guess that's what acting is all about!

I love Lady of Burlesque, and guess who's in that one....our very own Mr. Conroy! h'mmm, no wonder he creeps me out!!!!!!
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ha! Now, THAT'S irony!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've never seen The Ox Bow Incident. So I'll have to list my favorite as Nothing Sacred, although I'd like to see a good restoration, Frederic March and Carole Lombard.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

There are so many films I must see....so many I have not seen and so many I want to revisit (each time I read a Film related book or biography the urge invades me, like now that I'm reading Hawks Bio) and time and energy is all that is missing!! I'd truly like to have a sabbatical year in order to have time & energy to watch and read all I have to...
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Garbomaniac -
I had the same list as you in mind as I was reading the thread - surprise!
A Star is Born, Nothing Sacred and Lady of Burlesque.
Lady is so bad, it's great. I've watched it over and over. I'd really like to read Gypsy Rose Lee's book (The G-String Murders)but can't seem to get a hold of it.
B
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

feaito wrote:There are so many films I must see....so many I have not seen and so many I want to revisit (each time I read a Film related book or biography the urge invades me, like now that I'm reading Hawks Bio) and time and energy is all that is missing!! I'd truly like to have a sabbatical year in order to have time & energy to watch and read all I have to...
I'm just the same, I think I'll join you. In my dreams unfortunately.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Some where back in the mists of time, there was a thread on SSO that asked what you would want if you were stranded on a desert island. We would all be there with our books, dvd's, cd's, and in at least my case, lots and lots of YARN...
feaito

Post by feaito »

Garbomaniac wrote:Feaito, The Oxbow Incident is one of the greatest films I have ever seen. I normally don't like Westerns, but this is not just a Western. It could have happened at any place at any time. It is set in a rural setting to bring home the common man side of the tale, but his masterful direction made it universal. He brought to the screen a heart-wrenching denominator anyone, anywhere could relate to. It is so powerful that I have only been able to watch it twice. It bothers me so much, man's inhumanity to man, that I can't shake it. The mere mention of the film brings to mind all the tormenting scenes and the final "justice" so unnecessary.
James,

Just watching the clips from the film in Wellman's documentary gave me a small notion of the harshness of this film and the insanity of the so-called justice... I'll post my comments when I finally get around to seeing it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I came across a two part interview with William Wellman, Jr. by Bill Medley of the Tolucan Times (CA) that I thought might prove interesting to our members. He talks about his father (and mother) as well as several key figures from the studio era:

http://tolucantimes.info/2009/06/17/one-on-one-with-bill-wellman-jr-part-i/

http://tolucantimes.info/2009/06/24/one-on-one-with-bill-wellman-jr-part-ii/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

I love Wellman's films. But I wanted to also add a thumbs up for William Wellman A Man and His Wings by William Wellman, Jr. Excellent reading. Sadly, the book is a bit on the spendy side, but worth checking out of the local library.
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:I came across a two part interview with William Wellman, Jr. by Bill Medley of the Tolucan Times (CA) that I thought might prove interesting to our members. He talks about his father (and mother) as well as several key figures from the studio era:

http://tolucantimes.info/2009/06/17/one-on-one-with-bill-wellman-jr-part-i/

http://tolucantimes.info/2009/06/24/one-on-one-with-bill-wellman-jr-part-ii/
Very enlightening interview Moira, thanks for posting it.
feaito

Post by feaito »

feaito wrote:And concerning "Nothing Sacred", you are completely right. There are so many bad PD copies of that film and not one worthy of this masterpiece. The same applies to Wellman's "A Star is Born".
At least KINO released the so-called Selnick Collection prints (BLU RAY & DVD) of these two films (that belong to George Eastman House) plus other prints that belong there (Bird of Paradise 1932s, A Farewell to Arms, also 1932), whose quality is above average and much better than the extremely-washed out PDs we are used to.

Yesterday I revisited this classic 1937 comedy release on its BRAY format. Carole Lombard is just wonderful as the rather immature, wacky and likable Hazel Flagg and Fredric March as the reporter gives one of his best-ever performances. Endlessly entertaining and full of vignettes and great sequences. It's amazing how wayching a good copy of a film can really enhance your enjoyment of it and you even can discover new things! Must-see.

A while ago I revisited A Star is Born too (BR), and it's also a fine print.